VPN's and gaming

MedicTim78
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
6 minutes ago, MedicTim78 said:

So I have Nord as my VPN provider, in terms of gaming on COD warzone, I know I can select my city I want to connect to, (ie NYC) but I never get NYC servers, I always get servers 700+ miles away and get crappy ping. It's the same as when I don't use a VPN, my question is, does my first destination from my PC land at the VPN providers server or at my ISP's server? My goal is to connect to the closest server possible and reduce my ping and lag. Thanks in advance for the info.

All data will go thru networking equipment at your ISP. All the VPN does is encrypt the traffic between your computer/network and the VPN providers server. Basically the ISP cant read any of the packets. 

Unfortunately you really cant control ping or lag. The way the internet is, its basically a whole shit loads of networks connected together. Small ISP's will connect in via bigger ISP's, while larger ISP's like Comcast will connect to back bone providers like Akagi or Level 3 communications. These backbone providers provide links across the country OR in many cases across the ocean to Europe, ASIA, etc. The problem is you cant control the path your data takes, thats dictated by who ever's network you're on. One issue you could encounter is the peering point between two providers such as Comcast and Level 3 communications could become congested. IF that happens you're basically FUCKED. 

Its hard to say how many networks your data has to traverse before it gets to the gaming servers. Many data centers where servers are stored might connect in to multiple providers. In some cases major ISP's could directly connect to these services. Such as Netflix having a direct link in to Comcast's network. But its hard to say where these servers are located and what providers they use. 

So I have Nord as my VPN provider, in terms of gaming on COD warzone, I know I can select my city I want to connect to, (ie NYC) but I never get NYC servers, I always get servers 700+ miles away and get crappy ping. It's the same as when I don't use a VPN, my question is, does my first destination from my PC land at the VPN providers server or at my ISP's server? My goal is to connect to the closest server possible and reduce my ping and lag. Thanks in advance for the info.

I'm better at fixing people than PC's... For now. 

Remember to quote or tag my posts if you want me to see your reply I don't always follow the threads.

5 minutes ago, MedicTim78 said:

Never use a VPN while gaming if your trying to reduce lag. Your inducing a lot of hops you don't need.

The first place your data goes is always your ISP servers, thats your gateway out to the internet. No matter what software your using, the hardware is what dictates where its going. Data flows from your PC, to your switch/router -> modem -> ISP hardware -> more ISP hardware -> probs more ISP hardware -> out to the interwebz. If you use a VPN, there is an extra hop at the end that is to your VPN -> interwebz.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

6 minutes ago, MedicTim78 said:

All data will go thru networking equipment at your ISP. All the VPN does is encrypt the traffic between your computer/network and the VPN providers server. Basically the ISP cant read any of the packets. 

Unfortunately you really cant control ping or lag. The way the internet is, its basically a whole shit loads of networks connected together. Small ISP's will connect in via bigger ISP's, while larger ISP's like Comcast will connect to back bone providers like Akagi or Level 3 communications. These backbone providers provide links across the country OR in many cases across the ocean to Europe, ASIA, etc. The problem is you cant control the path your data takes, thats dictated by who ever's network you're on. One issue you could encounter is the peering point between two providers such as Comcast and Level 3 communications could become congested. IF that happens you're basically FUCKED. 

Its hard to say how many networks your data has to traverse before it gets to the gaming servers. Many data centers where servers are stored might connect in to multiple providers. In some cases major ISP's could directly connect to these services. Such as Netflix having a direct link in to Comcast's network. But its hard to say where these servers are located and what providers they use. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.