How's this build looking?

Budget (including currency): 1000 to 1500 USD as listed by my nephew (Probably too overkill considering the things he does, will change based on response on thread)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Most demanding game will be PUBG and ARK. Will also be doing non-intensive video editing. 

Other details This is a build for my nephew NOT ME. The video card listed in the pcpartpicker link is something we already have. Existing rough-draft pcpartpicker link is here

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

A few things I would change: 

- That motherboard isn't the best even for the lower Ryzen chips, so a 3700x will likely throttle. For a build worth more than $1k, you should really be looking at a higher end B450 (preferably B550s) or X570 motherboards.

- Look at faster RAM. 3600mhz cl16 is the sweet spot where you get almost maximum performance, but not extortionate prices.

- An NVMe m.2 SSD would definitely be appropriate. The faster speeds will likely be useful when editing videos, and there's less wires to manage if nothing else.

I presume you're going to wait for GPU prices to return back to normal then buy a cheaper 3060 or 3060ti or something along those lines. If that's the case, a better monitor would be a good idea. A monitor is the one thing I would splurge on even if I'm on a budget because they will likely outlast the PC, and having a good monitor now may save you having to buy another one in the future.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

7 minutes ago, tishous said:

A few things I would change: 

- That motherboard isn't the best even for the lower Ryzen chips, so a 3700x will likely throttle. For a build worth more than $1k, you should really be looking at a higher end B450 (preferably B550s) or X570 motherboards.

- Look at faster RAM. 3600mhz cl16 is the sweet spot where you get almost maximum performance, but not extortionate prices.

- An NVMe m.2 SSD would definitely be appropriate. The faster speeds will likely be useful when editing videos, and there's less wires to manage if nothing else.

I presume you're going to wait for GPU prices to return back to normal then buy a cheaper 3060 or 3060ti or something along those lines. If that's the case, a better monitor would be a good idea. A monitor is the one thing I would splurge on even if I'm on a budget because they will likely outlast the PC, and having a good monitor now may save you having to buy another one in the future.

1. changed it to the ASRock B550M-HDV Micro. Not 100 percent sure if that is considered high end considering the price

2. Will change that probably

3. Will also change that 

13 minutes ago, tishous said:

SNIP

Also for the GPU part, I already have a spare GPU

10 hours ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

1. changed it to the ASRock B550M-HDV Micro. Not 100 percent sure if that is considered high end considering the price

Well, you'll probably be fine with that motherboard, but the VRM cooling is quite bad on that board. I would look at an ASUS Prime B550-A since it's not too much more and provides (as far as I can tell, DYOR) pretty good cooling.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

4 hours ago, tishous said:

Well, you'll probably be fine with that motherboard, but the VRM cooling is quite bad on that board. I would look at an ASUS Prime B550-A since it's not too much more and provides (as far as I can tell, DYOR) pretty good cooling.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/g6vqqs/msi-b550m-a-pro-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b550m-a-pro This one?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($299.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Adorama) much better board.
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR400 (w/ODD) MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($106.89 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Samsung S22R350FHN 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor  ($99.99 @ Samsung) 
Custom:  RADEON RX 480 ARMOR 4G MSI OC 
Total: $895.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-31 21:12 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

On 5/31/2021 at 8:13 PM, Herman Mcpootis said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($299.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Adorama) much better board.
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR400 (w/ODD) MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($106.89 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Samsung S22R350FHN 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor  ($99.99 @ Samsung) 
Custom:  RADEON RX 480 ARMOR 4G MSI OC 
Total: $895.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-31 21:12 EDT-0400

Is there a non DVD drive of that case? I feel like that might interfere or make the motherboard install more difficult

I also assume that it shouldn't need a bios update? 

32 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Is there a non DVD drive of that case? I feel like that might interfere or make the motherboard install more difficult

The motherboard mounts are on the bottom so it shouldn't interfere with installation.

35 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

I also assume that it shouldn't need a bios update? 

Board has flashback so you can easily update the bios if you need to.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

On 6/1/2021 at 11:19 PM, Herman Mcpootis said:

The motherboard mounts are on the bottom so it shouldn't interfere with installation.

Board has flashback so you can easily update the bios if you need to.

So I'm liking the build you are mentioning so far but after some talking with my nephew, he wants to try to aim more of a higher end and better performing cpu, monitor, and RAM. Which IMO might be overkill and not needed. 

Never mind all good for now.