MSI 3080 VENTUS 3X 10G OC - high temperatures and too much fan noise

zephirus

Hi all,

I know that maybe there are a lot of topics about this issue but after trying to solve the problem, I'm still struggling to solve it.

I have an MSI 3080 Ventus 3X 10G OC graphics card and in some games the temperature gets high, and as consequence, the fans also raise the rpm.

The problem is not so much the temperature, but the noise of the fans. At 70ºC (158 F), value that I think it's not that bad, the fans noise begins.

Today I updated my motherboard bios, the graphics card bios and enabled Resizable BAR Support, so I'm fully updated on that matter.

I left my PC turned off for a while and right after turning it on, the graphics card temperature (in idle) is around 39º (102.2 F) and the temperature in my office is around 22.6ºC (72.68F).

I have a NOX case, and yes, I know it's not the best one for cooling but I installed some extra fans so, in that department I have:

• one noctua cooler for the cpu with two fans
  • two fans in the front of the case
  • one fan at the back
  • one fan on top

My PC specs are in the profile.

What can I do to solve this problem?

I have MSI afterburner and below are my current settings (I have decreased the GPU voltage and I have automatic fan control)

Any advice would be great because, as I said in the beginning, I don't know what more I can do.

undervoltage.JPG

msi afterburner.JPG

fan control.JPG

Sounds like you’ve not got enough cooling on the card.  If getting more cool air to the card isn’t enough, then it needs more cooler.  The more cool air is about better case airflow.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I noticed now that if I force the rpm on the gpu fans to be low (like 600rpm) the noise is still there. I'm checking the cpu fans at this moment.

I'm beginning to suspect that the noise is from the cpu fans, not the gpu.

Maybe because I have a Ryzen 5 3600 (good cpu for the price), the cpu is trying to "keep up" with the gpu and because of that is getting hotter, so the fans go the maximum.

Just now, zephirus said:

I'm beginning to suspect that the noise is from the cpu fans, not the gpu.

Maybe because I have a Ryzen 5 3600 (good cpu for the price), the cpu is trying to "keep up" with the gpu and because of that is getting hotter, so the fans go the maximum.

Ah.  So perhaps not a gpu problem after all.  Do you have a stock cooler on the 3600?  The stock fan is single ball bearing so it won’t necessarily have that long a life depending on orientation. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah.  So perhaps not a gpu problem after all.  Do you have a stock cooler on the 3600?  The stock fan is single ball bearing so it won’t necessarily have that long a life depending on orientation. 

I have a noctua with two fans. I restarted the PC, went to the bios and set the CPU fans to the maximum. The noise increased, of course, but is not the same I notice when gaming. At this moment I'm more confused...

2 minutes ago, zephirus said:

I have a noctua with two fans. I restarted the PC, went to the bios and set the CPU fans to the maximum. The noise increased, of course, but is not the same I notice when gaming. At this moment I'm more confused...

Sounds like you need to determine where exactly the noise you don’t like is coming from.  There’s field serviceable stethascope type stuff and there’s phyically stopping fans in turn.  Situationally dependent on which is easier to do in your case.

PSU fan maybe? People tend to forget about those.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

PSU fan maybe?

That's also possible. My PSU is 650W only. It works fine but I know it's on the limit for my specs.

How can I see the fan speed of the PSU? Is it possible to set the value so that I can quickly check if the noise is from it?

Just now, Kilrah said:

PSU fan maybe?

Could happen.  That one is hard to physically stop because it’s usually behind grill work and sticking things in the PSU is generally a bad idea.  PSU issues are generally an argument for field serviceable stethoscopes. Two common ones are a piece of paper rolled into a cone to make an ear horn, or a small kitchen funnel fitted into a piece of hose.

2 minutes ago, zephirus said:

That's also possible. My PSU is 650W only. It works fine but I know it's on the limit for my specs.

How can I see the fan speed of the PSU? Is it possible to set the value so that I can quickly check if the noise is from it?

The PSU is pretty much seperate from the rest of the system in atx, and there often aren’t any readouts at all.

I don't think I can see the temperature and/or fan speed of the PSU.

openhardware.JPG

Only recent high end PSUs have a way to give readouts and control things.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

Thanks for all your help. I will try to isolate the 3 component fans (PSU, CPU and GPU) to know which one is doing this. Don't know yet how but I will figure it out.

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Only recent high end PSUs have a way to give readouts and control things.

Do they do it all by themselves with internal stuff? Or is is some new addition?

Edited by Bombastinator

There's a controller built in the PSU, you have to connect it to the mobo via a USB header, and you then have software to see readings/tune settings like you would for a GPU, RGB stuff etc.

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/axi-series-config/p/CP-9020037-UK

F@H

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

There's a controller built in the PSU, you have to connect it to the mobo via a USB header, and you then have software to see readings/tune settings like you would for a GPU, RGB stuff etc.

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/axi-series-config/p/CP-9020037-UK

Is there a standard or is this proprietary done in different ways from different manufacturers to trap you in the “ecosystem”?

20 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

(That's an expensive PSU)

If I find out that is my PSU fault, what do you recommend for my system? I was thinking about a 750W full modular 80 Plus Gold but I'm not sure about the brand or the model.

This information gives any hint about PSU?

Capture.JPG.9e088f4375e3ce5155d08ccc5d4c913d.JPG

46 minutes ago, zephirus said:

No

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Is there a standard or is this proprietary done in different ways from different manufacturers to trap you in the “ecosystem”?

Since it's rather new and rare I don't believe there's an established standard yet. Haven't used one myself. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, zephirus said:

Capture.JPG.9e088f4375e3ce5155d08ccc5d4c913d.JPG

You could possibly try taking off the side panel and see if that helps anything. If it does, the card is not getting enough fresh air.

Hi again,

I really think that my problem is the power supply. Does the following makes any sense?

With "nothing" running on my computer, I forced the rpm on the gpu to be around 2000rpm. I hear almost no noise, it's a ok noise.

But then, if I run a game, I start to hear the loud fan noise, this with the gpu fan at around 1700-1800rpm.

This makes me believe that is the power supply.

My power supply is a Seasonic S12 II Bronze Plus and I don't understand the "combined load" on the attached screenshoot but maybe it's related? This GPU consumes 315W in some games.

For comparison, also attached is the Corsair TX750M specs, the power supply I'm thinking about buying.

power supply 1.jpg

power supply 2.jpg

tx750m.png

On 5/30/2021 at 2:24 PM, Kilrah said:

No

Since it's rather new and rare I don't believe there's an established standard yet. Haven't used one myself. 

From what I have seen of the rgb fan situation I get the impression that manufacturers won’t agree on a standard unless it is set elsewhere and imposed.  It seems like the original standard was intentionally destroyed and they were using it  to clamber over each other trying to use it to abuse users.  I haven’t followed it closely in some time.  It mostly convinced me that I never ever want to have rgb in a computer, whereupon I stopped listening.  Perhaps things have improved.  There is now apparently argb as well as rgb. There is apparently a voltage difference. Perhaps argb is more sane than what rgb was turned into. I don’t know. 

The 3080 is very power hungry, you very well could be pushing your PSU nearly to its limit.

Still, I'd run some CPU stress test and a GPU stress test software before you throw a new PSU into your system just to 100% rule out the CPU and GPU fans/coolers.

CPU-Z has benchmarking / stress test capabilities.

FurMark is good GPU stress testing software.

I'd also try to rule out the case fans by unplugging them one at a time or lightly pressing on the round part in the middle of the fan blades to slow the fans down to see if the noise you hear changes.

Don't want to randomly load up the parts cannon when you have free and easy diagnostic tools and methods available still.

17 minutes ago, Snadzies said:

The 3080 is very power hungry, you very well could be pushing your PSU nearly to its limit.

Still, I'd run some CPU stress test and a GPU stress test software before you throw a new PSU into your system just to 100% rule out the CPU and GPU fans/coolers.

CPU-Z has benchmarking / stress test capabilities.

FurMark is good GPU stress testing software.

I'd also try to rule out the case fans by unplugging them one at a time or lightly pressing on the round part in the middle of the fan blades to slow the fans down to see if the noise you hear changes.

Don't want to randomly load up the parts cannon when you have free and easy diagnostic tools and methods available still.

I especially like the phrase “load up the parts cannon”