CPU OVERHEATING AFTER A BAD OC? (please help a newbie)

Go to solution Solved by Beerzerker,
5 hours ago, Sed Linus said:

those are not pin type...that is a lga socket

Then what the hell are these on the cooler pic from your post at the beginning of the thread?

Those 4 "Things" spaced out around the outer part of the cooler?

These are push-pin latches/locks, that's what he's asking about and yes it's easy to break those or have one that doesn't want to hold even if it clicks in place - They'll even come apart on their own at times.
If one of those isn't holding you'll have uneven pressure /loose mounting that will cause heating problems. Sad thing is this type of cooler can fool you into thinking it's mounted right when it's not.
You can get the "Click" and it will even feel like it's OK all around but it just won't hold on a particular pin.

948267364_Pincooler.thumb.jpg.e1f238023a4b6cac2162b8d1584789b4.jpg

I recently posted a thread where my pc did not start up

link :

now..after some search on my mobo....it seemed it had some kind of recovery mode with the jumpers...so i enabled that and my pc posted and successfully entered my bios(i did not yet install my cmos battery)

IMG_20210530_161847.thumb.jpg.583b9a351330689c64b5a3f6944419d7.jpg

i did a bios reset in the bios...everything was factory reseted with all the clock frequencies back to normal and memory frequencies back to normal....but then in the hardware monitoring section...the temps were really sus...my cpu never went more than 85c(after OC ) at peak loads and 60c(at stock settings) at peak load

IMG_20210530_161930.thumb.jpg.aea5f0ba2f82fc1d334313a6250815e4.jpg a

i did not yet try a normal bootup....the recovery mode does not allow me to bootup normally (thats obvious)...i

MY PC BOOTED UP PROPERLY...BUT THEN OPEN HARDWARE MONITOR TELLS THAT MY PC DID RUN HOT AT 105c ....idle is at 85c...usually the idle will be around 40c(with room temp around 35c) and 35c (with room temp around 25)...now my room temp is 29c...and the temps are around  95c which is  is kinda sus...any reasons?

my cooler is properly mounted with thermal paste on it...

IMG_20210530_171650.thumb.jpg.f49cc29933181da58e6695acb03c46d9.jpg1926657619_IMG_20210530_171641(1).thumb.jpg.575696ad5d8ec0c38491f72171251a91.jpg

i am not sure is this amount of thermal paste enough

BTW...IT WAS MY STOCK COOLER WHICH MADE MY CPU STAY AT 40C AT IDLE BEFORE THIS PROBLEM OCCOURED...AND I DID NOT DO A THERMAL PASTE CHANGE AFTER THAT

my pc is around 11 years old...so it looks kinda messy

Cpu is NOT dead....yet

But will be if you keep running it 100c + like that.

remount the cooler. it's gotta be loose.

26 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Cpu is NOT dead....yet

But will be if you keep running it 100c + like that.

remount the cooler. it's gotta be loose.

the cooler is properly mounted....i am not sure whether is my bios showing some weird values...coz windows is booting up fine

UPDATE

WINDOWS IS BOOTING UP PROPERLY

ACCORDING TO OPEN HARDWARE MONITOR IT IS SHOWING THAT MY CPU IS AROUND 104C

it never was at 104c...max 80c...my cooler is properly mounted

PLS WELP

33 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

If your CPU was dead you wouldn't be in the bios like that.

thats good to know....but then i am starting to get weird artefacts on the screen AND WITH SLIGHT USAGE IT REACHES 100% CPU USAGE AND GETS AROUND 100C and my cpu is thermal throttling (MY CPU NEVER THERMAL THROTTLED IN THE WHOLE OF ITS 11 YEARS)

• Bad mount
  • Lack of thermal paste
  • Damaged cooler (somehow)
  • Default voltages are very high (extremely unlikely)
  • Bad PSU (also not likely)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

39 minutes ago, Levent said:
  • Bad mount
  • Lack of thermal paste

Well... Seeing that picture of the underside of the cpu cooler... It doesn't look like a great psu... But i dont think that would cause a cpu tot reach that temp though....

5 minutes ago, Forfaxify said:

Well... Seeing that picture of the underside of the cpu cooler... It doesn't look like a great psu... But i dont think that would cause a cpu tot reach that temp though....

i have a MERCURY KC8200 ATX SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY - 450W

i think my psu is ok...coz i dont have a dedicated gpu in my pc....and my max power consuption would be less than 200w

What looks like to me was never cleaned and thermal paste on top of thermal paste.

The white ceramic pastes are the worst for heat transfer. Find some artic silver or something.

Indeed, clean everything off the cooler and CPU and start fresh. Are your pushpins all locked in place properly? I know those are easy to break.. they get brittle as they age.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

15 hours ago, freeagent said:

Indeed, clean everything off the cooler and CPU and start fresh. Are your pushpins all locked in place properly? I know those are easy to break.. they get brittle as they age.

16 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

What looks like to me was never cleaned and thermal paste on top of thermal paste.

The white ceramic pastes are the worst for heat transfer. Find some artic silver or something.

will try it..currently i cannot go out due to the lockdown in my region..but will try for sure

5 hours ago, Sed Linus said:

Then what the hell are these on the cooler pic from your post at the beginning of the thread?

These are push-pin latches/locks, that's what he's asking about and yes it's easy to break those or have one that doesn't want to hold even if it clicks in place - They'll even come apart on their own at times.
If one of those isn't holding you'll have uneven pressure /loose mounting that will cause heating problems. Sad thing is this type of cooler can fool you into thinking it's mounted right when it's not.
You can get the "Click" and it will even feel like it's OK all around but it just won't hold on a particular pin.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

5 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

i thought you were speaking about the cpu...my bad...sorry....those locks are not broken.....and all the 4 locks are fitted properly

39 minutes ago, Sed Linus said:

i thought you were speaking about the cpu...my bad...sorry....those locks are not broken.....and all the 4 locks are fitted properly

Trust me, I know the difference 😜

On 5/30/2021 at 6:05 AM, Sed Linus said:

I recently posted a thread where my pc did not start up

link :

now..after some search on my mobo....it seemed it had some kind of recovery mode with the jumpers...so i enabled that and my pc posted and successfully entered my bios(i did not yet install my cmos battery)

IMG_20210530_161847.thumb.jpg.583b9a351330689c64b5a3f6944419d7.jpg

i did a bios reset in the bios...everything was factory reseted with all the clock frequencies back to normal and memory frequencies back to normal....but then in the hardware monitoring section...the temps were really sus...my cpu never went more than 85c(after OC ) at peak loads and 60c(at stock settings) at peak load

IMG_20210530_161930.thumb.jpg.aea5f0ba2f82fc1d334313a6250815e4.jpg a

i did not yet try a normal bootup....the recovery mode does not allow me to bootup normally (thats obvious)...i

MY PC BOOTED UP PROPERLY...BUT THEN OPEN HARDWARE MONITOR TELLS THAT MY PC DID RUN HOT AT 105c ....idle is at 85c...usually the idle will be around 40c(with room temp around 35c) and 35c (with room temp around 25)...now my room temp is 29c...and the temps are around  95c which is  is kinda sus...any reasons?

my cooler is properly mounted with thermal paste on it...

IMG_20210530_171650.thumb.jpg.f49cc29933181da58e6695acb03c46d9.jpg1926657619_IMG_20210530_171641(1).thumb.jpg.575696ad5d8ec0c38491f72171251a91.jpg

i am not sure is this amount of thermal paste enough

BTW...IT WAS MY STOCK COOLER WHICH MADE MY CPU STAY AT 40C AT IDLE BEFORE THIS PROBLEM OCCOURED...AND I DID NOT DO A THERMAL PASTE CHANGE AFTER THAT

my pc is around 11 years old...so it looks kinda messy

OK - The thing here, from what I can tell is you removed the stock cooler and after remounting the temps shot up and have been like that ever since.
You keep saying it's all good and you did everything right BUT the problem persists so something IS wrong here, regardless of the reason(s) why.

That's why I sugested what I did about the cooler mounting pins, those lock pins can be annoying to the point of being devious. It feels like it's OK, sounds like it went in place properly and you may even tug on the cooler a bit - All seems fine but in reality it's not. I've dealt with these coolers, repaired the pins and so on far too many times by now to rule out these kinds of issues because I've ran into all of them before at some point.

If you can't get the problem sorted before long I would suggest a cheap(er) aftermarket cooler for the board you have or at least find another cooler like the one you have now and try it.

Speaking of anything aftermarket, it doesn't have to be anything exotic/expensive, just something that's not a pain to work with or get right, yet will still keep temps in check if you want to save the setup.
Even one that's not brandnew (Used) will work as long as it has all the pieces/parts/mounting hardware that should come with it and it's in good shape in the first place.

Until the problem goes away you've got one and you just can't rule anything out at this point because you don't know WHAT is causing it ATM, be it a hardware problem or simple user error.
If you do find the solution, let us know what you found and did to fix it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

54 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

OK - The thing here, from what I can tell is you removed the stock cooler and after remounting the temps shot up and have been like that ever since.
You keep saying it's all good and you did everything right BUT the problem persists so something IS wrong here, regardless of the reason(s) why.

That's why I sugested what I did about the cooler mounting pins, those lock pins can be annoying to the point of being devious. It feels like it's OK, sounds like it went in place properly and you may even tug on the cooler a bit - All seems fine but in reality it's not. I've dealt with these coolers, repaired the pins and so on far too many times by now to rule out these kinds of issues because I've ran into all of them before at some point.

If you can't get the problem sorted before long I would suggest a cheap(er) aftermarket cooler for the board you have or at least find another cooler like the one you have now and try it.

Speaking of anything aftermarket, it doesn't have to be anything exotic/expensive, just something that's not a pain to work with or get right, yet will still keep temps in check if you want to save the setup.
Even one that's not brandnew (Used) will work as long as it has all the pieces/parts/mounting hardware that should come with it and it's in good shape in the first place.

Until the problem goes away you've got one and you just can't rule anything out at this point because you don't know WHAT is causing it ATM, be it a hardware problem or simple user error.

hey i got it fixed...i just realised one of the pins were badly mounted...but was really firm....now my temps are around 45c at idle...THANK YOU VERY MUCH

btw would you guyz recommend me to overclock this CPU again...but this time stick to the 4.2ghz limit?

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

Trust me, I know the difference 😜

1 hour ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

CPU is not dead. However, please remount your cooler, since it will die very soon if it keeps running at those temps.

On 5/30/2021 at 7:20 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

On 5/30/2021 at 5:55 PM, Forfaxify said:

On 5/30/2021 at 5:14 PM, Levent said:
  • Bad mount
  • Lack of thermal paste

On 5/30/2021 at 4:36 PM, valdyrgramr said:

If your CPU was dead you wouldn't be in the bios like that.

can i overclock this CPU after this catastrophe...because...i almost bricked my pc due to a 1 mhz increase in the host clock frequency change (my multipliers are locked) and now i have brought it again to a usable form...do you guyz recommend me to overclock this thing again...is my cpu fit to be overclocked again?or should i drop the idea

by the way THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME SOLVE THIS ISSUE...ALL THOSE IN THE PREV. THREAD ALSO...I THOUGHT I KILLED MY PC...I HAVE A SENTIMENTAL VALUE TO IT...MY FIRST PC WHICH I GOT WHEN I WAS 5 YEARS OLD...NOW I AM 16....

ps : i do not know how to pin ppl in this forum..so i just multiquoted

57 minutes ago, Sed Linus said:

can i overclock this CPU after this catastrophe...because...i almost bricked my pc due to a 1 mhz increase in the host clock frequency change (my multipliers are locked) and now i have brought it again to a usable form...do you guyz recommend me to overclock this thing again...is my cpu fit to be overclocked again?or should i drop the idea

by the way THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME SOLVE THIS ISSUE...ALL THOSE IN THE PREV. THREAD ALSO...I THOUGHT I KILLED MY PC...I HAVE A SENTIMENTAL VALUE TO IT...MY FIRST PC WHICH I GOT WHEN I WAS 5 YEARS OLD...NOW I AM 16....

ps : i do not know how to pin ppl in this forum..so i just multiquoted

No, do not overclock the CPU on the stock cooler. It's barely enough to handle the cpu at stock. 

And I'm saying no, because I don't want you to break your first rig that has value. Better to be safe than sorry.

And to tag, use the @ symbol and then the person's name together. A list will pop up, click the name and it will automatically insert the tag to that user.

Indeed, get a cooler, slap a few fans around, and then try your luck! Because once you start you don't stop.. Once you tap into god mode, you don't go back to being a mortal 😁

I honestly don't remember the last time I ran a stock system for more than half a day 😄

38 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No, do not overclock the CPU on the stock cooler. It's barely enough to handle the cpu at stock. 

And I'm saying no, because I don't want you to break your first rig that has value. Better to be safe than sorry.

And to tag, use the @ symbol and then the person's name together. A list will pop up, click the name and it will automatically insert the tag to that user.

umm...i dont think thats the case with this processor or with this cooler...coz when i overclocked it last time to 4.2ghz (stable) from 3.1ghz....my max temps were only around 80c after running cinebench for around 2 hours

maybe...now as my cpu is kinda ruined due to the previous bad overclocking...i might need to get a new cooler

BTW THANK YOU VERY MUCH

23 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Indeed, get a cooler, slap a few fans around, and then try your luck! Because once you start you don't stop.. Once you tap into god mode, you don't go back to being a mortal 😁

I honestly don't remember the last time I ran a stock system for more than half a day 😄

actually i have also turned like that...recently bought a new laptop with a i5-8265u...tweaked the sh*t out of it...and now getting performance more than a r5 3400g....and the laptop was barely even 2 hours since it was turned on lol

still thank you for helping

1 hour ago, Sed Linus said:

actually i have also turned like that...recently bought a new laptop with a i5-8265u...tweaked the sh*t out of it...and now getting performance more than a r5 3400g....and the laptop was barely even 2 hours since it was turned on lol

still thank you for helping

The i5-8265u will be far more high performance then a 11 y/o Desktop. I hope said Laptop has an SSD.

8 hours ago, Sed Linus said:

hey i got it fixed...i just realised one of the pins were badly mounted...but was really firm....now my temps are around 45c at idle...THANK YOU VERY MUCH

btw would you guyz recommend me to overclock this CPU again...but this time stick to the 4.2ghz limit?

No problem - Glad to help.
This is why I said don't rule anything out even if it "Seems" OK and those pins can fool you at times. 
They can be weird at times but now that's you've experienced it firsthand and solved it for yourself, you'll know what to look for in the future with these.
"Live and learn" they say and I've already done the living and learning with those, that's how I all but knew that had to be it.
Good luck!