Ungrounded outlets new house.

El Charro

Im moving to a new house next week. And my bedroom have ungrounded outlet. I did ask the electrician how much it cost to install a ground its going to cost me more than 10k. However he installed new gfci breakers and a whole home surge. I have a big gaming setup with 15000 watt psu. Should i be worried?

It depends on the gfci breakers and Home surge the electrician applied. Most modern ones would handle about 1000+ watt of load. 

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

5 minutes ago, El Charro said:

15000 watt psu

I'm assuming you added an extra 0, because there is no 15000W PSU - the max we have right now is 2000W (and you can only use it on a 240V circuit).

15 amp, 120v outlets can provide a maximum of 1800W. This is the most common type of outlet in the US.

20 amp, 120v outlets can provide a maximum of 2400W. This is less common in the US, but is still not too hard to find.

Do you have in the US or elsewhere? If elsewhere, do you run on 120v or 240v?

elephants

3 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I'm assuming you added an extra 0, because there is no 15000W PSU - the max we have right now is 2000W (and you can only use it on a 240V circuit).

15 amp, 120v outlets can provide a maximum of 1800W. This is the most common type of outlet in the US.

20 amp, 120v outlets can provide a maximum of 2400W. This is less common in the US, but is still not too hard to find.

Do you have in the US or elsewhere? If elsewhere, do you run on 120v or 240v?

I meant 1500* im in the US

Just now, El Charro said:

You're fine - 15 amp circuits can provide 1800W of power. If you somehow have a 10 amp circuit and your system is able to pull more than 1200W of power, you'd be in trouble, but I've never seen or heard of a 10 amp circuit/breaker in a house.

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

You're fine - 15 amp circuits can provide 1800W of power. If you somehow have a 10 amp circuit and your system is able to pull more than 1200W of power, you'd be in trouble, but I've never seen or heard of a 10 amp circuit/breaker in a house.

im talking about the ungrounded outlet and losing my pc. Thats what im worried about?

Just now, El Charro said:

im talking about the ungrounded outlet and losing my pc. Thats what im worried about?

The only danger is if you short a power wire to ground, like if you accidentally scrape off some insulation from a PCIe power cable or something similar and it touches your case. If that happens, your case will then be hot with 12v (or whatever voltage you touch there). With that, anything metal touching the metal of your case will also be hot with positive voltage which can create a short circuit, but this is EXTREMELY rare.

TL;DR no problem unless you make a very big mistake and touch exposed metal on power lines to your case. It's not advised to have an ungrounded house, but it's not crucial as far as I know.

elephants

6 hours ago, El Charro said:

Im moving to a new house next week. And my bedroom have ungrounded outlet. I did ask the electrician how much it cost to install a ground its going to cost me more than 10k. However he installed new gfci breakers and a whole home surge. I have a big gaming setup with 15000 watt psu. Should i be worried?

5 hours ago, El Charro said:

You're in the U.S., your outlets aren't grounded and they want 10K to fix it?

Umm...  

I don't want to sound privileged or anything, but I have NEVER been in a home in the U.S. that was not at least already retrofitted to have grounded outlets.  Was this house built in the 1800s and never renovated?

6 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

You're in the U.S., your outlets aren't grounded and they want 10K to fix it?

Umm...  

I don't want to sound privileged or anything, but I have NEVER been in a home in the U.S. that was not at least already retrofitted to have grounded outlets.  Was this house built in the 1800s and never renovated?

Exactly that. Anything i can do? I already installed gfci breakers, and whole home surge, and they told me to install surge supressor from zero surge

Just get an extender from the bathroom/kitchen to your PC xD

You should have ground somewhere, the issue is, getting the wire from place A to place B can be costly because going through walls etc.And as mentioned before, the chance of using it is extremely low. You could make builds where you have ground and test it there too, that'd leave only the probability of surge getting introduced later in life of a PC which is even less likely.

5 hours ago, Loote said:

Just get an extender from the bathroom/kitchen to your PC xD

You should have ground somewhere, the issue is, getting the wire from place A to place B can be costly because going through walls etc.And as mentioned before, the chance of using it is extremely low. You could make builds where you have ground and test it there too, that'd leave only the probability of surge getting introduced later in life of a PC which is even less likely.

Right.  You're saying there isn't a ground wire IN YOUR ROOM, but is there a ground wire anywhere else?   Tying in grounds together is still better than no ground at all.

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Right.  You're saying there isn't a ground wire IN YOUR ROOM, but is there a ground wire anywhere else?   Tying in grounds together is still better than no ground at all.

That or op might be getting a ripoff quote or getting misinformation. Wouldn't be the first time someone who os moving is being seen as a easy target. If there is actually no ground (which in deed does sound very odd) then there is a rather big problem.

have to love the US electrical system.

Ok I get that you are less likely to get a lethal shock from a 110/120v circuit than a 220/240v circuit (and yes I appreciate you have both as you use split phases with radial circuits from the distribution box) but I find it "amusing" that:

You have plugs that can be pulled out of the wall so easily
You have plugs where you can touch the exposed metal so easily
You rely on a fuse/circuit breaker in the distro box
That you can connect a lower amperage extension lead to  an outlet with no other fused protection in the plug (ie the extension can burn out before it trips the main breaker) 
That none of your appliances are protected by individual fuses from the wall socket/outlet side

And now someone wants to charge the OP $10K to earth an outlet that likely has an earth wire in the Romec cable behind the wall already after charging god knows what to add earth interrupts (that wont trigger from the outlets that are allegedly not earthed)

8 hours ago, mikeyw64 said:

have to love the US electrical system.

Ok I get that you are less likely to get a lethal shock from a 110/120v circuit than a 220/240v circuit (and yes I appreciate you have both as you use split phases with radial circuits from the distribution box) but I find it "amusing" that:

You have plugs that can be pulled out of the wall so easily
You have plugs where you can touch the exposed metal so easily
You rely on a fuse/circuit breaker in the distro box
That you can connect a lower amperage extension lead to  an outlet with no other fused protection in the plug (ie the extension can burn out before it trips the main breaker) 
That none of your appliances are protected by individual fuses from the wall socket/outlet side

And now someone wants to charge the OP $10K to earth an outlet that likely has an earth wire in the Romec cable behind the wall already after charging god knows what to add earth interrupts (that wont trigger from the outlets that are allegedly not earthed)

Could be worse.