GTX 1070 - tiny component fell off while cleaning card

Go to solution Solved by Ruben Piccard,

After a few months i felt confident enough to test the card. Result: it worked just fine. Benchmark results were also pretty good. Thanks to everyone for your opinions and help. We now know that the component that fell off isn't that essential to the functionality of the card.

Hello,

Ik got a bit of a problem with my GTX 1070 graphics card.

While i was carefully cleaning the cards backside with a brush, a very small component fell off. It was a tiny square opject. Then i noticed one of the components was weardly twisted on the graphics card. It still held on to one of its pins. I tried to carefully bend it back in place but it fell off while trying. Here are some pictures of the parts and the place they originated from on the graphics card. The number of the component that fell off is 0542. I assume that the card will still work since the component could already have been lo0se before i cleaned it for the first time. But i can't be sure.  I have the card for about 2 years now.

What can i do to fix this problem? Is the part important or not? What is your view on this problem?

Thank you for reading. I would appreciate your opinion.

20210529_114610.jpg

20210528_205556 edited.jpg

Its a transistor. Not only that, solder pad also came apart. If card doesnt work, you are in a heap of trouble.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1st thing: Do NOT plug that card back in. Every component is important on it so you can't randomly cut bits off. You run the very high risk of irreversably damaging other components on the board. if you try to run that thing.

If you don't have the tools and the knowledge to solder it back on yourself, or don't know someone who does, take it into a computer repair shop, along with the little part that fell off and have them solder it back on.

2 hours ago, AndrewCC said:

1st thing: Do NOT plug that card back in. Every component is important on it so you can't randomly cut bits off. You run the very high risk of irreversably damaging other components on the board. if you try to run that thing.

If you don't have the tools and the knowledge to solder it back on yourself, or don't know someone who does, take it into a computer repair shop, along with the little part that fell off and have them solder it back on.

First of all, important doesnt mean necessary you can knock smd caps off and your card would work just fine, so that statement is wrong. You cannot solder that transistor back as its emitter pin no longer has a solder pad. Worst case scenario, this card simply wont work.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

5 seconds on Youtube will get you lots of results of how you can fix/get around a missing solder pad and still solder the components back on. It's still the best chance to make the board run properly and not risk further damage.

Out of sheer curiosity, can you enlighten us on what brand of GTX 1070 that is? I wanna know so I will know what to avoid, I have a Leadtek GTX 1080 and is fine after a few clean up, like you, I use a brush, a smaller paint brush to be precise. Also, I have a PowerColor HD7970 from a ways back, and it's working just fine (it's an unused card that I'd clean and try out from time to time.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Out of sheer curiosity, can you enlighten us on what brand of GTX 1070 that is? I wanna know so I will know what to avoid, I have a Leadtek GTX 1080 and is fine after a few clean up, like you, I use a brush, a smaller paint brush to be precise. Also, I have a PowerColor HD7970 from a ways back, and it's working just fine (it's an unused card that I'd clean and try out from time to time.

This usually  shouldnt happen , its either a manufacturing defect or OP "cleaned" it a bit too harsh (not saying they did, but thats a possibility)

PS: or they used cheap solder, but then you would not only need to know manufacturer and model but also manufacturing date… basically this can happen with any manufacturer Im afraid. Like 1-5% failure rate is completely normal and expected. And QA is a shit job lol, they dont see everything!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

This usually  shouldnt happen , its either a manufacturing defect or OP "cleaned" it a bit too harsh (not saying they did, but thats a possibility)

PS: or they used cheap solder, but then you would not only need to know manufacturer and model but also manufacturing date… basically this can happen with any manufacturer Im afraid. Like 1-5% failure rate is completely normal and expected. And QA is a shit job lol, they dont see everything!

Still, I would like to know for my own edification. I've had a good number of GPU's through the years, I think I started out with a GF TNT Riva (nVidia) and 9700 Pro (ATi/AMD), built CF and SLi systems along the way. I've never had a card die on me other than the PC VEGA64 Red Devil (RMA'ed and replaced with new card, still doing a righteous job at gaming in my 2nd rig), but I've never had one where the a component dropped off the card before. That is just unacceptable.......

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

12 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Still, I would like to know for my own edification.

Yeah i understand. Its really a bit weird… the small white one doesnt actually need much force to get knocked off (still a little bit) but the black one shouldnt come off easily, which is why im thinking manufacturing defect .

Now if thats a no name card, then sure, but if its a brand like MSI, Asus, etc, then this really doesnt say much.

Good thing is OP still has the parts, it shouldnt be too difficult to solder them back for someone who knows what theyre doing.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 hours ago, GamerDude said:

I have a EVGA card 1070 sc i have used it for 2 years now i bought it from a previous miner. might that be the cause of the defect?

11 hours ago, AndrewCC said:

5 seconds on Youtube will get you lots of results of how you can fix/get around a missing solder pad and still solder the components back on. It's still the best chance to make the board run properly and not risk further damage.

And? lack of power to somewhere or filtering of some data line is not going to damage anything or catch anything on fire. Fixing a solder pad is easy if you know what you how to find where trace ends end up. For someone who never held up a soldering iron, doesnt own a fine tip soldering iron, mod wire, electrical knowledge and a multimeter this aint a "5 second video on youtube" fix.

1 hour ago, Ruben Piccard said:

I have a EVGA card 1070 sc i have used it for 2 years now i bought it from a previous miner. might that be the cause of the defect?

Nope, this is on your cleaning. You were most likely too harsh with the brush.

@Levent

I'm curious.. do you think that the manufacturer just put unnecessary parts on the board? Why would they do that? If it's on there, it's required for the PROPER functioning of the board. And running it without is a RISK.

And I did say that he should take it into a repair shop if he lacks the tools or the knowledge to repair it himself. I only brought up Youtube to show that the lack of solder pad is not something that makes a repair impossible.

• 1 month later...

After a few months i felt confident enough to test the card. Result: it worked just fine. Benchmark results were also pretty good. Thanks to everyone for your opinions and help. We now know that the component that fell off isn't that essential to the functionality of the card.