Best 8bit and 16but console emulation software?

I didn't see anything saying not to discuss emulation so if this is against the rules, Mods, I'm sorry, I missed it.  That said, I'm just asking for software commendations.  I'm not asking where to acquire ROMs, ISOs, or BIOS files.

Anyway, I've been long out of the emulation game and it seems my default go do, ZSNES is a weee bit out dated.  I've seen YouTube stuff talking about emulators with run ahead where it precalculates potential future frames and such, but anyway, for things like NES, SNES and Genesis, what's the best emulation software to be looking at right now?  The PC hooked up to my TV has a 3900X in it so CPU resources should be no issue.  I want to see as little emulation lag as possible while it looks crisp and crunchy on my 4K TV. 🙂

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

I've heard RetroArch is great among emulator enthusiasts. So im not sure if you can still apparently be able to post regarding emulators tbh, I've never seen someone do that as well. But anyway that's my recommendation, I unfortunately do not belong to that kind of enthusiasts.

And yes there is a legality mix around here when it comes to ROMs, BIOSs and ISOs file regarding games so it is understandable for topics or help about emulation being significantly lower or next to none

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Retroarch is great if you can take the time to figure out how to use it properly. The interface can be a bit daunting at first, so I'd recommend looking up a guide to see how to get started setting it up. For NES, SNES, and Genesis emulation, I use the Mesen, BSNES, and Genesis Plus GX cores respectively.

And discussion of emulation is most definitely allowed on the forum. What isn't allowed is discussion of how to pirate games, BIOS, etc to use in emulators. All emulation discussion is done under the assumption that you're providing your own legally obtained ROMs/ISOs.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

RetroArch is probably one of the best ones. You can emulate games up to the PS2 and Nintendo 64 and in my opinion it's really easy to use and has a really nice interface.

My emulator suite is:
NES - Mesen
SNES - Snes9x

DS/3DS - Citra

GameCube/Wii - Dolphin

Wii U - Cemu

I was originally using Jnes for NES emulation, but it didn't work with my USB-NES controller adapter so I switched to Mesen. I prefer Mesen too.

elephants