Underclocked my 8700k to 3.7GHz lower my temps from 99°C --- Is 40°C lowest it can do?

Cooler: H115i RGB pro XT
Ram: 32GB 3200Mhz CL16
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero X Wifi
GPU:6800 XT
CPU is not delidded.

I wanted to test this after my CPU started to spike to 99°C at 5.0GHz 1.37v. When the system was stable I was getting around 78°C under load in game. Recently it started to peak at 99°C and trigger all the fans for 10 seconds every two minutes when in game. Temps are never below 85°C in game. CPU load is 80% in game. I tested 4.7Ghz at 1.35v and temps were still at around 90°C.

I downcloked the CPU to 3.7GHz at 1.15v in hopes to finally see temps below 40°C. You can see the results below 40°C under full load and idle;

https://imgur.com/a/z7L3Wui

Cooler pump is working, I can feel and hear it when it kicks in. It was replaced by Corsair 3 months ago and I was getting below 80°C under load for 2 months at 5Ghz. CPU fans are directly connected to Motherboard; not the cooler. I run them at 100% for this test to make sure I am getting best cooling. You can see the Cooler pump is at max speed. I tried resitting the cooler with different pastes. Room temp is 25°C.

Are these numbers reflective of what I should see at 3.7Ghz base speed? What could be the rise of sudden 99°C spikes at 5.0GHz ?

7 minutes ago, soulfetsh said:

Cooler: H115i RGB pro XT
Ram: 32GB 3200Mhz CL16
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero X Wifi
GPU:6800 XT
CPU is not delidded.

I wanted to test this after my CPU started to spike to 99°C at 5.0GHz 1.37v. When the system was stable I was getting around 78°C under load in game. Recently it started to peak at 99°C and trigger all the fans for 10 seconds every two minutes when in game. Temps are never below 85°C in game. CPU load is 80% in game. I tested 4.7Ghz at 1.35v and temps were still at around 90°C.

I downcloked the CPU to 3.7GHz at 1.15v in hopes to finally see temps below 40°C. You can see the results below 40°C under full load and idle;

https://imgur.com/a/z7L3Wui

Cooler pump is working, I can feel and hear it when it kicks in. It was replaced by Corsair 3 months ago and I was getting below 80°C under load for 2 months at 5Ghz. CPU fans are directly connected to Motherboard; not the cooler. I run them at 100% for this test to make sure I am getting best cooling. You can see the Cooler pump is at max speed. I tried resitting the cooler with different pastes. Room temp is 25°C.

Are these numbers reflective of what I should see at 3.7Ghz base speed? What could be the rise of sudden 99°C spikes at 5.0GHz ?

Is the water blocked mounted snugly to the mobo? Sounds like potentially a contact issue. Or your pumping too much volts through it. Is it set to 1.37v in the BIOS, is it reading that as the vcore voltage in monitor programs? What is VRVOUT being reported as?

Ny 8700k did 5ghz at 1.30 volts and ran relatively cool - I had a pretty good chip. 1.37 is pushing the boundary in my opinion.

What temps does it hit at stock speed under stress? And what programs are you using then validate stability? It’s possible your chip just wasn’t a silicon lottery winner and just simply requires too much voltage to be stable at 5ghz, and the result of pumping that voltage through it makes it way to hot.

My 9900k was like that. It did 5ghz at what was actually decent voltage, but it got insanely hot even at the “modest” 1.35 voltages I had it at. For a full custom loop…. And “only” 1.35v 5ghz, it would hit 99c in AIDA64 FPU stress test and thermal throttle, and would run in the low 90 in Asus real bench (which is what I would recommend you validate stability with), it was just not a great chip… it happens. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

High temp's are usually cooler issues... Like @LIGISTX said, try reseating the cooler to the CPU.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Massively unnecessary. Underclocking a CPU with a custom liquid cooling solution is pointless. I agree with the above, likely a contact issue.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

Contact issue or your intel toothpaste is trash and failed

i delidded mine 3 years ago and applied LM and it still is perfectly fine. 5ghz @ 1.38v daily usage.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

10 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Is the water blocked mounted snugly to the mobo? Sounds like potentially a contact issue. Or your pumping too much volts through it. Is it set to 1.37v in the BIOS, is it reading that as the vcore voltage in monitor programs? What is VRVOUT being reported as?

Ny 8700k did 5ghz at 1.30 volts and ran relatively cool - I had a pretty good chip. 1.37 is pushing the boundary in my opinion.

What temps does it hit at stock speed under stress? And what programs are you using then validate stability? It’s possible your chip just wasn’t a silicon lottery winner and just simply requires too much voltage to be stable at 5ghz, and the result of pumping that voltage through it makes it way to hot.

My 9900k was like that. It did 5ghz at what was actually decent voltage, but it got insanely hot even at the “modest” 1.35 voltages I had it at. For a full custom loop…. And “only” 1.35v 5ghz, it would hit 99c in AIDA64 FPU stress test and thermal throttle, and would run in the low 90 in Asus real bench (which is what I would recommend you validate stability with), it was just not a great chip… it happens. 

Today I started testing with PRIME95. I replaced the thermal paste before starting today. Water block mounted snugly. Tests are done at 5GHz at 1.32v. I lowered the voltage after your reply. Idles at 38°C. Vcore reading is 1.312V in HWINFO64.

I will test at stock once I am done with the current tests. I didn't validate this tests yet because temps are too high.

I tested selecting the "small FFTs" option. I stopped this test when I see the results at 99C:

https://imgur.com/a/BzBl53u#8flVwL8

This is the result of another "custom" test with AVX disabled:
https://imgur.com/a/SeoJ8Si#rWbmdKF

26 minutes ago, soulfetsh said:

Today I started testing with PRIME95. I replaced the thermal paste before starting today. Water block mounted snugly. Tests are done at 5GHz at 1.32v. I lowered the voltage after your reply. Idles at 38°C. Vcore reading is 1.312V in HWINFO64.

I will test at stock once I am done with the current tests. I didn't validate this tests yet because temps are too high.

I tested selecting the "small FFTs" option. I stopped this test when I see the results at 99C:

https://imgur.com/a/BzBl53u#8flVwL8

This is the result of another "custom" test with AVX disabled:
https://imgur.com/a/SeoJ8Si#rWbmdKF

Prime95 is basically a power virus, it’s not the best for testing stability anymore. 

Use Asus real bench: https://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

Use the stress test option, and select the amount of RAM that is the option under how much ram you have (if you have 16GB, pick 8 ). And if it passes that for the full 8 hours, your good. If not, it’s not stable. And it shouldn’t hit 99c, hopefully…. If it does, you need to dial your OC back. Also load line settings are pretty important. Too high a number will push volts higher then needed which leads to increased temps. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

On 5/28/2021 at 12:33 PM, Mister Woof said:

Contact issue or your intel toothpaste is trash and failed

i delidded mine 3 years ago and applied LM and it still is perfectly fine. 5ghz @ 1.38v daily usage.

What temps are you getting? Especially under 80% or higher loads? 

7 minutes ago, soulfetsh said:

What temps are you getting? Especially under 80% or higher loads? 

used to get at most 80c at 1.38v load voltage in something like cinebench23 loop after delid.

before delid, thermal throttle

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x