All USB keep disconnecting and reconnecting

Happy1992

Morning,

Bought a new PC (pre-built) that arrived yesterday. Worked fine all evening until at some point it started randomly disconnecting all my USB Ports at once and then reconnecting them a few seconds later. In one case no reconnect happened and I had to restart my PC. I thought might be some needed driver update so I performed all open Windows updates. Seemed fine so far until I just had a meeting where I was sharing my screen and the same thing happened again, so the issue does not seem resolved.

I checked the Event Viewer and can find this:

Windows cannot store Bluetooth authentication codes (link keys) on the local adapter. Bluetooth keyboards might not work in the system BIOS during start-up.

Its Level "Information" with "Source" BTHUSB, "Event" is 18.

At the same time I am also getting this:

The local adapter does not support an important Low Energy controller state to support peripheral mode. The minimum required supported state mask is 0x2491f7fffff; got 0x1fffffff. Low Energy peripheral role functionality will not be available.

Level: Warning; Source: BTHUSB; Event ID: 34.

I checked my power settings (this is not a laptop btw) and they are set to "High Performance". In Advanced Power Settings USB Settings "USB selective suspended setting" is set to Disabled. I have also revoked the rights for the PC to power off USB hubs in the device manager.

Anyone got any idea what could be causing this and how I can fix it?

The Build:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

TUF Gaming B550-PLUS

32GB RAM

RTX 3070 from Palit

Appreciate any help!

*Typically* loss of USB devices indicate an inability of the PSU to well, supply enough power.

How many devices do you have plugged in, and what are they?

Might be time for a powered usb hub.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I got 750 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 11, 80 Plus Gold. Had a 750W PSU before too and same amount of USB plugs and worked fine, would find that a bit odd.

Anyhow, I have connected:
- Mouse
- Keyboard Logitech Dongle for Wireless connection
- Amp for my headphones

- Cable in the front USB C to charge my iPad (currently not charging anything)

- Type C charger, also currently not charging anything

- USB to Micro USB to charge keyboard, currently also not charging

And thats it

6 minutes ago, Happy1992 said:

I got 750 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 11, 80 Plus Gold. Had a 750W PSU before too and same amount of USB plugs and worked fine, would find that a bit odd.

Anyhow, I have connected:
- Mouse
- Keyboard Logitech Dongle for Wireless connection
- Amp for my headphones

- Cable in the front USB C to charge my iPad (currently not charging anything)

- Type C charger, also currently not charging anything

- USB to Micro USB to charge keyboard, currently also not charging

And thats it

You know that's a lot of stuff right there 

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

It might be because you got too many things connected to a single USB hub, so the power probably isnt sufficient for all of those accessories, just as @Radium_Angel previously stated. I remember that some of the b550/b520 motherboards had a problem where USB ports would restart over and over and over again. A bios update would fix it, but i doubt thats the cause of your problem.

Do they disconnect and reconnect at the exact same time or do they do it at random?

I dont have a USB Hub or anything like that, so each USB slot is really only used for one thing.

All USB ports disconnect and reconnect simultaneously, its not like it goes one by one if thats what you mean. It does happen at random frequencies though if thats what you mean. For example right now I have had no issue since my meeting where I was screen sharing.

4 minutes ago, Happy1992 said:

I dont have a USB Hub or anything like that, so each USB slot is really only used for one thing.

All USB ports disconnect and reconnect simultaneously, its not like it goes one by one if thats what you mean. It does happen at random frequencies though if thats what you mean. For example right now I have had no issue since my meeting where I was screen sharing.

Ah ok, just saw someone mention USB-hub above me, so i thought you were using one. Either way, what kind of b550 do you have? Model? Maker? etc. A simple BIOS update would probably make it work again. As i stated above, its a known issue in the new b550 motherboards.

Very interesting.... So I am actually able to reproduce the issue when I go into a google hangouts call and start sharing my screen. I had my Device Manager open at the same time to see what it was telling me and I noticed the things in the screenshot showing up with a yellow triangle. The moment I end the call everything starts working again and it does not keep disconnecting/reconnecting me over and over again.

gLYRmFh.png

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-B550-PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Ah yes, I can see it here, also specifically mentions the USB issue. Now... I have actually never updated my BIOS so no clue how to perform this. Can any of you point me into the direction of a usable guide? Would be very much appreciated. Thanks for the help so far!

6 minutes ago, Happy1992 said:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-B550-PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Ah yes, I can see it here, also specifically mentions the USB issue. Now... I have actually never updated my BIOS so no clue how to perform this. Can any of you point me into the direction of a usable guide? Would be very much appreciated. Thanks for the help so far!

this video should be slow and simple enough for most people to understand:

VERY important to NOT unplug power, turn on the computer or remove the USB at ANY time during the BIOS update. Its only when the led stops blinking that you can unplug everything and boot it up.

Thank you, thats helpful. One thing I am not clear on: They say to turn off PC and then plug in the USB and press that Flashback button. Does this Flashback button start the PC and then does its thing and I wait until the blinking stops? Or do I have to start up the PC and sit in BIOS settings when I do the button/USB thing? Also, is it better/safer to unplug any other USB device in the meantime?

Oh I see you wrote to NOT "turn on the computer". Alright, so I guess I shut it off, press the button and let it do its thing until the blinking stops and then I start up the PC 😄

Did the EZ Flash and update went through without a problem. I will check throughout the day if the USB issue re-appears or not. Thanks for the help so far, fingers crossed that this fixed it

I used the PC now for a full day and all seems to work fine. Seems like the BIOS Update was indeed the culprit here. Thanks for the help guys 🙂