How do I fix a really old pc’s cooling?

Chikensoops

So I have this really old pc that hasn’t been used for years due to it not working. I messed around with it for a bit and got it working. The cpu cooler fan wasn’t working, so I assumed it was heating problems. I put a house fan next to it to try to get some airflow, and it worked. But then I saw the cpu fan moving a bit. I just took a pencil and poked it to try to make it move more, and it did. It started with very choppy but clearly visible spinning, but after 10 minutes, it was spinning normally. Then I turned off the house fan, and left the pc on for a whole night. When it was morning, the pc is still on! So I really don’t know the problem here. I think it’s dust, but if it is then why does it still spin. Now when I turn it on, I need to wait 10 minutes until the fan spins properly. Please help.

Thank you

Please mark as solved if I answered your question.

Old shitty bearings, and dust. Use compressed air, either with a incredibly skinny nozzle or low pressure, to clean it out. And go outside to do that. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Clean it with alcohol and a q-tip and maybe spray some wd 40 into the fan bearings, then clean it again. Let it dry completely before using again

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

Oh ok thank you! I’ll try it after I get some new thermal paste.

Please mark as solved if I answered your question.

What is the brand of the fan and model # if you can get it?
Some of these tiny fans are only $3 to $5.

Many (but not all) fans can be disassembled if you proceed carefully.
Most sleeve and ball bearing fans - YES.
Anything that says, Hydro, SSO, SSO2, Sealed are probably not safe to tear apart.
If you do this, proceed at your own pace and realize, this could be the end of the fan if you are not very careful. For this you are on your own or check youtube for info.

Re-oiling
Be gentle, these small fans are not as robust or resistant to damage as larger fans.
Remove or puncture the label and spray a tiny amount (drops) of your WD40 or light 3-in-one oil, in there, spin with a can of compressed air for a few moments, then turn it over on a paper towel. (I often use a syringe and needle from a printer refill kit.)
Pretty disgusting stuff should come out.
Rinse, repeat 2 or 3 times.

Before testing, 1 or 2 drops of oil could be added to the space where the bearings are and if nothing else, spin it with your fingers a few times.
If it's a 12V van, hooking it up to a 9v battery will work to spin it for you, beware of the polarity.
If it's a 5V fan, a 1.5v battery should get it spinning a little.
The idea is to work the oil into the bearings before sealing it and using it for a long time.

When you are done oiling, most fans have a "thrust washer" in the bearing assembly that keeps the fan blade elevated to the proper height.
If you press the fan blade assembly in the middle, very gently, it should move a about 1~2 mm down and return when you remove your finger tip.
If this is collapsed, it can cause the blade to jam or rub as well as interfere with the bearing operation.

Once you learn to do this, you can extend the life of fans for a considerable time.
If the ball bearings are damaged, you will know pretty quick this isn't going to work.
If it is a sleeve bearing, as long as it or the shaft are not worn, it should just take some cleaning and fresh oil to almost work like new.

On larger fans, you can use very light weight grease on sleeve bearings, but not ball bearings.
Liquid Teflon lubricant works very well too. 
As stated above, clean it carefully to remove all oil from the exterior, this will just attract dust and if nothing else, put the fan off balance or cause it to get stuck.
Be sure to reapply a piece of tape over the hole and the small rubber plug if it had one.

WD-40 isn’t a lubricant, maybe try to find a 3 in 1 oil, or something light.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

Things just die sometimes. Thats part of life. Depending on how old this PC is, you might find new stock cooler fairly easily and switch that on it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv