How do you find detailed information about laptop motherboards?

Go to solution Solved by NoNameCola,

For the keyboard connector, it appears to be a ZIF connector which is common on laptops. Unfortunately, their pinouts are often different. If you want to look into it your laptop might have a wakeup on LAN or try to find a diagnostic pin on the mainboard which turns it on.

The display should be an 40-pin eDP QHD+ and the smaller connector would be for the touch layer.

Hopes this helps and good on you for reducing e-waste!

I'm in progress, converting an old laptop (ASUS UX301L) into a server (to reduce ewaste, and also something different to do)

I have two tasks  left:
 - find out which pins from the keyboard pins control power (power button was on the keyboard)
 - find out what to do with the QHD screen (which is still quite good, but now without a controller board), but I know nothing about standalone LCD screens.

So, the more pressing issue, turning the thing on.. 🙂 The ribbon cable port looks like this in this image "Keyboard Inputs". (there were actually two inputs, but I think the smaller one was for the keyboard backlight
image.thumb.png.9089a11007b54f881802bae03515592a.png

And the plug the screen was attached to -- I'm not sure what type of connector this is, and what I should be googlin' for to find a controller board (or if it being a touch screen is that important)
image.png.b8e8aedd171f960278d5207b4cae663d.png

On the screen itself, there are two connectors -- I think the left one is what goes to the display controller. I have no idea what the smaller one on the right is (maybe it's what handles the touches?)

image.png.143ae985b18d31a6aec6ac0fc127bffd.pngimage.png.d0e5d2ae12ecb2981a29b5487eafd457.png

The full wiring diagram for that laptop (and most laptops) probably isn't published anywhere. The only thing I could think you may be able to do for the keyboard connector would just be to probe the pins on the board side and see where they connect to on the keyboard side and see if you can trace it out.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

For the keyboard connector, it appears to be a ZIF connector which is common on laptops. Unfortunately, their pinouts are often different. If you want to look into it your laptop might have a wakeup on LAN or try to find a diagnostic pin on the mainboard which turns it on.

The display should be an 40-pin eDP QHD+ and the smaller connector would be for the touch layer.

Hopes this helps and good on you for reducing e-waste!

11 hours ago, Theguywhobea said:

The full wiring diagram for that laptop (and most laptops) probably isn't published anywhere. The only thing I could think you may be able to do for the keyboard connector would just be to probe the pins on the board side and see where they connect to on the keyboard side and see if you can trace it out.

Thanks this is helpful! I'll do some poking around! (literally hehe)