My first NAS. Have I chosen well?

My planned usage case: Media server streaming video to 2 devices at a time, with support for downloading torrents via rss through ExpressVPN. Synology & Videostation sounds perfect for this, as the intended devices will be either android or windows PC, Download station supports RSS, and ExpressVPN has instructions on how to connect with Synology.

I'm thinking of getting the DS220j with a single 6TB Ironwolf. This would give me a spare bay for future upgrades if I manage to max out the 6TB. I'm not concerned with RAID as what will be on the devices will be replaceable.

For anything irreplaceable, my PC has 7TB and a cloud backup subscription, but it's connected to the network wirelessly, and it's not the greatest connection. The NAS would go in the living room and have a wired connection to my TV (android), and a wired connection to my wifi router, which should make for a better streaming experience to android phones than trying to do it from my PC. I've tried Plex and wasn't happy with the experience.

1 minute ago, Sabarok said:

I'm thinking of getting the DS220j with a single 6TB Ironwolf. This would give me a spare bay for future upgrades if I manage to max out the 6TB. I'm not concerned with RAID as what will be on the devices will be replaceable.

Thats a pretty fine NAS. I would jump for it if the price is right.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

The DS220j is a decent entry elvel NAS. If all it needs to do is storage, then it'll serve its purpose just fine.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Thank you both for your comments. I have just placed my order and it should arrive by next week 🙂