When I make facetime calls trough my home wifi, my internet connection stops working. How to fix it help please.

kaans42

i actually posted the same about a month ago and said it was solved but it didnt last, i get his problem almost every time i do face time, like 9 in 10 calls so basically i cant do any video chat at all not only face time btw
this is the old thread: 

17 hours ago, kaans42 said:

i actually posted the same about a month ago and said it was solved but it didnt last, i get his problem almost every time i do face time, like 9 in 10 calls so basically i cant do any video chat at all not only face time btw
this is the old thread…

Something that was missed in your other thread was whether or not you were running your ISP device in bridge mode. You claim it’s just a modem, but any “modem” with WiFi is called a gateway, and gateways use NAT. Putting your own router (which also handles NAT) behind a gateway or other router is going to cause double NAT. You have to figure out how to convert your internet gateway to bridge mode so that it just becomes a passthrough device for your Archer C6.

Secondly, check to see if there are any iOS updates that might be available and install them.

Thirdly, run a wireless survey using WiFi Analyzer (free from the MS Store) and post the channel analysis screenshot (from the ‘Analyze’ page) of both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Unfortunately, I don’t recall there being any similar apps through the App Store, so you’ll need a Windows machine or an Android phone.

Finally, post a screenshot of your wireless settings from the C6. Hide any passwords, obviously.

On 5/24/2021 at 5:46 PM, Falcon1986 said:

Something that was missed in your other thread was whether or not you were running your ISP device in bridge mode. You claim it’s just a modem, but any “modem” with WiFi is called a gateway, and gateways use NAT. Putting your own router (which also handles NAT) behind a gateway or other router is going to cause double NAT. You have to figure out how to convert your internet gateway to bridge mode so that it just becomes a passthrough device for your Archer C6.

Secondly, check to see if there are any iOS updates that might be available and install them.

Thirdly, run a wireless survey using WiFi Analyzer (free from the MS Store) and post the channel analysis screenshot (from the ‘Analyze’ page) of both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Unfortunately, I don’t recall there being any similar apps through the App Store, so you’ll need a Windows machine or an Android phone.

Finally, post a screenshot of your wireless settings from the C6. Hide any passwords, obviously.

The modems operation mode is dsl modem router and the wireless is turned off. Other modes are 3g/4g modem router and wireless router

14 hours ago, kaans42 said:

The modems operation mode is dsl modem router and the wireless is turned off. Other modes are 3g/4g modem router and wireless router

What is the make/model of the DSL gateway?

Simply turning off WiFi on a gateway doesn’t convert it to bridge mode. You most likely have double-NAT from the gateway and the Archer C6. If the gateway doesn’t support being run in bridge mode, keep it’s WiFi radios off but run the Archer C6 in AP mode.

You still haven’t answered the other questions…

On 6/1/2021 at 3:03 PM, Falcon1986 said:

What is the make/model of the DSL gateway?

Simply turning off WiFi on a gateway doesn’t convert it to bridge mode. You most likely have double-NAT from the gateway and the Archer C6. If the gateway doesn’t support being run in bridge mode, keep it’s WiFi radios off but run the Archer C6 in AP mode.

You still haven’t answered the other questions…

Modem is TP Link TDW9970 v1 

There are no other ios updates besides it is not just happening with facetime, it happens with microsoft teams, skype etc. Whenever i share my camera whether it is from my phone or my ipad  the network just dies

BEC061E7-4365-4F7F-B73D-597FBFD32EE3.jpeg

5 hours ago, kaans42 said:

Modem is TP Link TDW9970 v1

The TD-W9970 is a gateway device, which means it acts as a modem, router, switch and access point all-in-one. So it has NAT and it’s own bandwidth/QoS control features.

The Archer C6 is a wireless router (so it is a router, switch and access point all-in-one) and, it too handles NAT and QoS.

To keep things from getting complicated, you should only allow one of these devices to be the router, i.e. to handle NAT. I suggest, since the TD-W9970 cannot be configured in a simple way to be in bridge mode (i.e. to just be a modem and pass NAT on to the Archer C6), to configure the Archer C6 to be in access point mode. While doing this should turn off bandwidth control on the Archer C6, I’d still advise you to turn it off manually after activating AP mode as some firmware might be silly enough to leave it running.

Another thing to do is to give the Archer C6 AP a static LAN IP outside of the DHCP pool of the TD-W9970. You can do this several ways, but I notice the TDW9970 allows you to use ‘Address Reservation’ by binding an IP to MAC address, so this way might be simplest for you.

After you do all this, you need to set QoS up/down limits at the TD-W9970. Your Archer C6 will manage WiFi so it is here you’ll control the wireless settings.

There are no other ios updates besides it is not just happening with facetime, it happens with microsoft teams, skype etc. Whenever i share my camera whether it is from my phone or my ipad  the network just dies

As in only iOS devices give this problem?

BEC061E7-4365-4F7F-B73D-597FBFD32EE3.jpeg

I’m assuming this screenshot was taken from the Archer C6 since the gateway doesn’t have a 5GHz radio.

Firstly, you’re using the 2.4GHz in N-mode only and at a wide channel width of 40MHz. 2.4GHz is prone to interference from neighbourhood WiFi and electronic devices that give off 2.4GHz waves. Using 40MHz should only be attempted if you’ve previously run a wireless survey and found there to be enough free channel space on 2.4GHz to accommodate your broadcast or else you’ll run into interference problems. Also, wireless chipsets on iOS devices can be picky about wireless modes, so while specifying 802.11n-only is going to allow you to achieve higher bandwidth on compatible devices, it might give issues with incompatible devices.

My suggestion here is to not use 2.4GHz for any of your bandwidth-priority devices. Your Archer C6 has the ability to use 5GHz (802.11n/ac mixed). It’s a much larger spectrum so there is less likelihood of interference with neighbourhood WiFi and you can use wider channels if you want. Make sure that the C6 allows you to give unique names to the 2.4GHz SSID and the 5GHz SSID so you can distinguish between the 2 and clients can connect to the 5GHz SSID preferably. Keep MMO turned on.

23 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

The TD-W9970 is a gateway device, which means it acts as a modem, router, switch and access point all-in-one. So it has NAT and it’s own bandwidth/QoS control features.

The Archer C6 is a wireless router (so it is a router, switch and access point all-in-one) and, it too handles NAT and QoS.

To keep things from getting complicated, you should only allow one of these devices to be the router, i.e. to handle NAT. I suggest, since the TD-W9970 cannot be configured in a simple way to be in bridge mode (i.e. to just be a modem and pass NAT on to the Archer C6), to configure the Archer C6 to be in access point mode. While doing this should turn off bandwidth control on the Archer C6, I’d still advise you to turn it off manually after activating AP mode as some firmware might be silly enough to leave it running.

Another thing to do is to give the Archer C6 AP a static LAN IP outside of the DHCP pool of the TD-W9970. You can do this several ways, but I notice the TDW9970 allows you to use ‘Address Reservation’ by binding an IP to MAC address, so this way might be simplest for you.

After you do all this, you need to set QoS up/down limits at the TD-W9970. Your Archer C6 will manage WiFi so it is here you’ll control the wireless settings.

As in only iOS devices give this problem?

I’m assuming this screenshot was taken from the Archer C6 since the gateway doesn’t have a 5GHz radio.

Firstly, you’re using the 2.4GHz in N-mode only and at a wide channel width of 40MHz. 2.4GHz is prone to interference from neighbourhood WiFi and electronic devices that give off 2.4GHz waves. Using 40MHz should only be attempted if you’ve previously run a wireless survey and found there to be enough free channel space on 2.4GHz to accommodate your broadcast or else you’ll run into interference problems. Also, wireless chipsets on iOS devices can be picky about wireless modes, so while specifying 802.11n-only is going to allow you to achieve higher bandwidth on compatible devices, it might give issues with incompatible devices.

My suggestion here is to not use 2.4GHz for any of your bandwidth-priority devices. Your Archer C6 has the ability to use 5GHz (802.11n/ac mixed). It’s a much larger spectrum so there is less likelihood of interference with neighbourhood WiFi and you can use wider channels if you want. Make sure that the C6 allows you to give unique names to the 2.4GHz SSID and the 5GHz SSID so you can distinguish between the 2 and clients can connect to the 5GHz SSID preferably. Keep MMO turned on.

I realized modem had upnp disabled and router had it enabled. Could it be that causing the problem

3 minutes ago, kaans42 said:

I realized modem had upnp disabled and router had it enabled. Could it be that causing the problem

The modem will have uPnP disabled by default because having it enabled is a security risk.

You can temporarily enable it and test. If you see improvement then you need to forward firewall ports as I had mentioned in your other thread, so you can safely disable uPnP afterward.