So I built speakers from a kit.

geo3

So I built speakers from a kit. I've never done something like this before. But I've been told assembling your own offers much better price to performance, which is the main reason I decided to do this. This is a kit I bought called the X-LS Encore by GR Research, but there are many many kits out there and all different price points. I went into this as a total noob when it comes to any kind of wood work, and only have limited experience with analog electronics, and I managed through without much difficulty. So if you're curious or thinking about also building your own speakers ask me anything about the process.

Below is my build log. 

The "Flat pack" as it arrived. 

ZqKzMwv_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

Dry-fit the panels,

H3LclDi_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand 

Added reassesses for magnets to the inside of the front panel for later magnetic grills,

Ogv07Xw_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

O0J6w1E_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

Gluing process,

VKrhADy_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

UXdTPar_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

Radiused the edges, this helps with diffraction as the sound wave propagates past the edge of the box,

CL7uDn0_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grandJ8vtjIA_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

Lining the inside with dampening foam to mitigate cabinet resonances.

uHmmfKx_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

Painting prep,

1RlAgMc_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

Primer and MDF sealer,

IzaZRcG_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

I wanted a satin white finish,

doR76et_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

The internals,

6s2GjCD_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

Assembled crossovers,

Ew9HhIq_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

Crossovers in the boxes, almost finished.

b4e6h8u_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

All assembled and up on stands

1HeM0Vs_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

The finish isn't the best and there's a few places I need to touch up. When I painted them with primer I put enough coats to hid the seams but for some reason they reappeared when I put the finishing coat on. 

jbxs7R6_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

38 minutes ago, geo3 said:

The finish isn't the best and there's a few places I need to touch up. When I painted them with primer I put enough coats to hid the seams but for some reason they reappeared when I put the finishing coat on. 

Nicely done. How do they sound?

As for the seams reappearing, primer isn't meant to fill joints like that, it's for surface scratches. You need filler (bondo or something of that sort) to fill joints and cracks.

9 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Nicely done. How do they sound?

I need more time with them and have to play with placement, but what I have noticed so far is they are very clear and revealing, and the bass is tight and detailed.  Quite a noticeable upgrade over my Jamos.