Audio Technica ATH-M50x Review and Disassembly

So Here is my review on the Audtio Technica ATH-M50x

xhMstQO.jpg

So the first thing you might notice is that these have no cable, the original m50's had a fixed cable which could be bought in a coiled or a straight version. The new "x" version comes with 3 detachable cables, one is coiled, one is a short straight one (about the length of apple earbud cables) and finally a long straight one about 3 meters long. It is good enough to put into you soundcard at the back of your pc and give you plenty of room to move.

The detachable cabe is actually great. I leave one in my computer, one in my guitar amp (it comes with the 1/4" adapter, though they are standard 3.5mm), and i leave my short one with my headphones. These headphones work fine on mobile and my old ipod shuffle has enough juice to make them decent (not uncomfortable, but loud enough that it sounds great).

7WBJUcf.jpg

k5MYacA.jpg

xTtFaHJ.jpg

Oug78lQ.jpg

The earcups are the main complaint of the headphones. The clamping pressure is kind of tight, and these things are rock hard. The deathadder 2013 doesn't compress it at all, and it springs back immediately. If you are planning on buying these, replacement earcups are a must. I believe that anything that works on the original m50 would work on these,

GEtHWx5.jpg

PN2NclX.jpg

This is what the connection to the headset looks like . It is fairly strong and I can attach it and deatach them without takign them off. This makes them a lot easier to fit in a backpack. I wouldn't recommend using the bag it comes with because it probably only protects the headphones from a strong breeze. The headphones are built great, but the bag is made from the same crappy materials used on the earcups.

2gttx6w.jpg

After taking off the earcups, you see the driver cover. If you think it looks like it protrudes out too much, you would be right. The cups are too thin to take your ears away from it, so if you have normal ears they can be uncomfortable. If you have monkey ears it is probably worse. I have heard buying aftermarket earcups fixes this problem for most people.

zTB8SbZ.jpg

The inside of the headphones look pretty normal like most headphones. The foam they used is very hard, and I don't know if that is a good thing. The screwdriver is to show just how hard the foam is. I am putting a large amount of force on that, and it seemed like it would break if I put any more force on it.

I am not going to comment on the sound. Everyone has heard of the sound quality of the m50's and these are just more of the same. If you are looking for gaming headphones these are not them. Buy something with a mic on it because the sound quality isn't that much better than some good gaming headphones. I have the PC350, and though the warranty sucks on them, they are great as gaming headphones.

here is the link to the gallery of all of these images plus a bonus one.

http://imgur.com/a/ZZz1r

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

Good review however your conclusion has something I disagree with. I find these ath-m50s sound much better than both my Corsair gaming and Steelseries Siberia V2 headsets(these have arguably better audio than most gaming headsets). 

If I was going to buy a gaming headset I'd buy one from either Sennheiser or Audio Technica since they know what their doing in both the mic and sound reproduction department. Either that or I'd buy a good pair of headphones and stick a modmic on it. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Good review however your conclusion has something I disagree with. I find these ath-m50s sound much better than both my Corsair gaming and Steelseries Siberia V2 headsets(these have arguably better audio than most gaming headsets). 

If I was going to buy a gaming headset I'd buy one from either Sennheiser or Audio Technica since they know what their doing in both the mic and sound reproduction department. Either that or I'd buy a good pair of headphones and stick a modmic on it. 

I haven't tried anything from corsair or steelseries. I mostly just said that the there are better gaming headsets that have mics and whatever at the same price with good enough audio quality. I would agree though, the bass is hard and balanced and the rest is pretty flat so these are a very fun pair of cans to listen to. I didn't really comment on the audio quality though because I am no audiophile expert and anything i say about sound quality should be taken similarly to my moms opinion on computers (she can use them, but doesn't care about them as long as they work well).

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

I really like this review because it isn't just people fellating Audio-Technica for making the greatest headphones since the beginning of time.

They have a limited soundstage, which makes them less optimal for gaming. For some, they're not the best but for others they're alright. My Sony MDR-X05 headphones were closed and I thought they had good soundstage, then I bought Philips Fidelio X1s and they piss all over them in gaming.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

I really like this review because it isn't just people fellating Audio-Technica for making the greatest headphones since the beginning of time.

They have a limited soundstage, which makes them less optimal for gaming. For some, they're not the best but for others they're alright. My Sony MDR-X05 headphones were closed and I thought they had good soundstage, then I bought Philips Fidelio X1s and they piss all over them in gaming.

I didn't say their the best or anything, their just the best pair of headphones I own at the moment. For a better soundstage I'd look into Shure, Sennheiser or AKG stuff personally.  

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I didn't say their the best or anything, their just the best pair of headphones I own at the moment. For a better soundstage I'd look into Shure, Sennheiser or AKG stuff personally.  

My friend owns shure dj headphones and they are very similar to these. I think just looking for open headphones is the best idea. Closed headphones will never be as good as open ones (in terms of soundstage).

My friend owns shure dj headphones and they are very similar to these. I think just looking for open headphones is the best idea. Closed headphones will never be as good as open ones (in terms of soundstage).

I've been thinking about getting a pair of open back headphones myself recently. I haven't had the chance to really try those out for extended periods of time.