Does An FPS Mouse Actually Benefit FPS Gaming?

Aleks

I along with a few friends have been playing a lot of GO lately. We are really interested in competitive gaming. I currently use a Razer Naga and feel that this may hinder my performance. Would getting a mouse such as the m45 be a good choice? Will it improve my playing ability? 

Depends on the player's preference.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Depends on the person. Higher quality sensors (teamed with a good surface) can improve the accuracy and responsiveness of the mouse. If you have a mouse that isn't the right size for you, it can make you play worse. 

I found that switching from my M.M.O.7 to a M95 improved my performance both in FPS games and MMOs. 

i got the Deathadder and since i upgraded it seems to be easier to use in first person games

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

A "better" mouse doesn't make you play better (but a worse mouse could make you worse)... How you perform in a game is still mostly based on your skill as a player..

If you think that a "more optimized" mouse will feel better in your hands and allow you to move more accurately, I see no reason not to swap out your mouse for something new. However, you just can't expect to swap out your mouse and magically become twice as good as before (actually, generally you'll play a lot worse at first as you learn the feel of the new mouse).

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

A "better" mouse doesn't make you play better (but a worse mouse could make you worse)... How you perform in a game is still mostly based on your skill as a player..

If you think that a "more optimized" mouse will feel better in your hands and allow you to move more accurately, I see no reason not to swap out your mouse for something new. However, you just can't expect to swap out your mouse and magically become twice as good as before (actually, generally you'll play a lot worse at first as you learn the feel of the new mouse).

Oh yea I totally agree, I was in bed last night and thinking about it and I feel like the Naga just isn't made for fast movements in an FPS. I am going to whip down to NCIX and try some mouses out! Thanks!

To answer your thread question, it's really weird now a days. Because each gamer has their preference. Certain sizes for example. Types of grips. Certain hand maneuvers, like how some people use the edge of their desk as a pivot point. Some people are great with very old mice because they are use to a certain feel. So even if you had a mouse that was really sensitive, now a days every gamer, and in each game, have a certain sensitivity they like. Really DPI just helps you narrow down your signature sensitivity (speaking in more context for FPS gaming). Like for example you could pick a certain DPI for your mouse, then ingame you move around the mouse acceleration option if it has one or the ingame mouse sensitivity and stuff like this. Then on top of that you may have a certain mouse pad the gets that right feel for you. 

Me personally, as a mostly FPS genre playing gamer, mostly shape has been the deciding factor for me. If I decide to get a new mouse, the biggest barrier is just getting use to that new feel. Other than that, I can replicate the sensitivity I had with previous gear by changing settings.

I guess one more thing to note is that some buttons are better on some mouse than others. Then again that can be considered as an opinion as well.

So ya, many things just play in to your preferred sensitivity. The type of mouse buttons and grip on the mouse (if you sweat easily). The type of grip you have. Your mouse pad if you have one or not. If the mouse has a certain weight that you like so that it's not too floaty. 

Does just buying a gaming mouse make you better? No. Period. If you get any mouse that is completely functional, once you get use to that mouse and actually better at playing a game with that mouse, you could be better than a guy with what could be considered a top tier gaming mouse.

Lastly, if you go from a really cheap mouse to one that is more ergonomic to your hand, your hand would be less fatigued. So I guess that's a thing that will help when gaming. I hope this helped out some what. Not sure if I just vomited words on a page or if any of this makes sense lol.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

To answer your thread question, it's really weird now a days. Because each gamer has their preference. Certain sizes for example. Types of grips. Certain hand maneuvers, like how some people use the edge of their desk as a pivot point. Some people are great with very old mice because they are use to a certain feel. So even if you had a mouse that was really sensitive, now a days every gamer, and in each game, have a certain sensitivity they like. Really DPI just helps you narrow down your signature sensitivity (speaking in more context for FPS gaming). Like for example you could pick a certain DPI for your mouse, then ingame you move around the mouse acceleration option if it has one or the ingame mouse sensitivity and stuff like this. Then on top of that you may have a certain mouse pad the gets that right feel for you. 

Me personally, as a mostly FPS genre playing gamer, mostly shape has been the deciding factor for me. If I decide to get a new mouse, the biggest barrier is just getting use to that new feel. Other than that, I can replicate the sensitivity I had with previous gear by changing settings.

I guess one more thing to note is that some buttons are better on some mouse than others. Then again that can be considered as an opinion as well.

So ya, many things just play in to your preferred sensitivity. The type of mouse buttons and grip on the mouse (if you sweat easily). The type of grip you have. Your mouse pad if you have one or not. If the mouse has a certain weight that you like so that it's not too floaty. 

Does just buying a gaming mouse make you better? No. Period. If you get any mouse that is completely functional, once you get use to that mouse and actually better at playing a game with that mouse, you could be better than a guy with what could be considered a top tier gaming mouse.

Lastly, if you go from a really cheap mouse to one that is more ergonomic to your hand, your hand would be less fatigued. So I guess that's a thing that will help when gaming. I hope this helped out some what. Not sure if I just vomited words on a page or if any of this makes sense lol.

Thank you for the in depth answer to my question. I just got back from NCIX with a corsair M40. If I heard the guy correctly, I have a month to return it and get my money back. Hopefully it works out. Thank you once again. 

Thank you for the in depth answer to my question. I just got back from NCIX with a corsair M40. If I heard the guy correctly, I have a month to return it and get my money back. Hopefully it works out. Thank you once again. 

No problem. Maybe I'll see you online one day haha.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

No problem. Maybe I'll see you online one day haha.

Haha, add me on steam if ya want! "Reefaman" no I am not a pot head...

The best "FPS mouse" is a mouse with zero acceleration and no stuttering / random issues..  That's about it.  G400 works fine Deathadder 3.5G, Deathadder 2013, Zowie mice

Here's a great thread on it http://www.esreality.com/index.php?a=post&id=2024663

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

The best "FPS mouse" is a mouse with zero acceleration and no stuttering / random issues..  That's about it.  G400 works fine Deathadder 3.5G, Deathadder 2013, Zowie mice

Here's a great thread on it http://www.esreality.com/index.php?a=post&id=2024663

Thoughts on the m40/m45 by corsair?

The m40 has the same sensor as the CM Storm Spawn, so that's great.  the m45 uses a pixart sensor, I'm not too sure about those

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Their sensor is fine. It uses a Pixart PMW3310H which is a licensed Avago "conventional" optical sensor. They don't really have any issues. If your mouse allows you to adjust your CPI, you should only set it to a CPI divisible by 50. I'm not familiar with the Corsair software, but it should prevent you from doing anything else anyhow.

Really the whole mouse thing is blown way out of proportion. A lot of people treat laser sensors like it's 2004. And a lot of it comes from very poor testing standards and subjective opinions in something that should be factual. The point at which modern sensors start to fail is something you will never see in real-world use. There are plenty of professional gamers who play on laser mice, whether or not because it's sponsorship, they do it and they perform fine. If a sensor is labeled as laser, you'll find all kinds of forum reviews saying there's negative acceleration, then a bunch other will say there's positive acceleration, etc.

if you fine with the feel for the naga then i wouldnt change my friend uses on an hes fine although somthing like a logichtech 602 mouse may be nice as it has 6 side buttons in between a clasic fps mouse and what s mmo mouse has

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

i use mouse acceleration when i play fps on my death adder

My Rig  

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Will it improve your playing ability? Probably not. Will it remove potential hindrances? Possibly.

The main benefit, imo, is reassurance and confidence in your equipment. If doing well matters to you, you'll never have to wonder if that shot you just missed by a couple of pixels was down to your mouse. That's the kind of thing that can get in your head and distract you. Now, that might not sound like a huge deal, but your state of mind is a huge factor in how well you play. Of course, if your grip isn't suited to the mouse you're using for example, then a new mouse might do wonders.

i use mouse acceleration when i play fps on my death adder

Therefore...?

I think DPI settings is a bigger factor than sensor quality or the mouse itself. The title "FPS/MMO/whatever mouse" means absolutely nothing outside of the potential for it to be slightly more tailored towards that related audience.

Being able to quickly adjust DPI, use multiple DPI settings, and/or customize the DPI of your mouse is far more important to me. While I definitely know that my mouse isn't amazing, it does more than enough just because it's comfortable, grippy enough, right form for my mouse grip and has customizable DPI settings.

Buying a good mouse is more about comfort and preference. If the features are there, you should be fine. If you're 100% serious about getting every edge you can, maybe you'd want to pay the extra money for something that fills all those needs and then some. In this case, I think you'd just want a higher DPI mouse with a better sensor, just for more wiggle room and accuracy/tactile aiming. If you're happy as is and don't feel like your mouse kinda jerks around sometimes/isn't nearly "as smooth as butter", stick with the Naga.

I'd look into mousepads before upgrading from your mouse. Surface makes a much bigger difference than you think, not only with the sensors on the mouse but moving the mouse around in general. On the other hand, good mice might be a dime a dozen but there's very little separating the best ones aside from looks, minor features and the shape/grip.

I think DPI settings is a bigger factor than sensor quality or the mouse itself. The title "FPS/MMO/whatever mouse" means absolutely nothing outside of the potential for it to be slightly more tailored towards that related audience.

Being able to quickly adjust DPI, use multiple DPI settings, and/or customize the DPI of your mouse is far more important to me. While I definitely know that my mouse isn't amazing, it does more than enough just because it's comfortable, grippy enough, right form for my mouse grip and has customizable DPI settings.

I meant to mention this, but it passed my mind. What DPI do you use, Aleks? I'd hesitate to use the word "most", but certainly a lot of people could use with lowering their DPI. Also, what are your windows mouse settings (pointer speed and enhanced pointer precision specifically)?

Will it improve your playing ability? Probably not. Will it remove potential hindrances? Possibly.

The main benefit, imo, is reassurance and confidence in your equipment. If doing well matters to you, you'll never have to wonder if that shot you just missed by a couple of pixels was down to your mouse. That's the kind of thing that can get in your head and distract you. Now, that might not sound like a huge deal, but your state of mind is a huge factor in how well you play. Of course, if your grip isn't suited to the mouse you're using for example, then a new mouse might do wonders.

Therefore...?

they guys said that there should be not acceleration but i use it meaning its personal prefrence

My Rig  

they guys said that there should be not acceleration but i use it meaning its personal prefrence

No it doesn't. He didn't say you can't play with acceleration, he said you shouldn't. The fact that you use it doesn't mean it isn't worse.

As a rule most CS players don't use acceleration and use mostly 300-1000dpi.  Most of the players keep at around 600.  There's a chart online of pro players mice and dpi, maybe you can find it.

Most CS pros use 400/450 DPI because that's what they're used to from older mice like the IE3 (and is the first DPI step on newer mice eg Zowie) but there are some exceptions. In response to some of the other people in this thread, the quality of the sensor is far more important that the DPI number, in fact those laser mice going for the largest DPI number usually end up degrading the tracking quality of the sensor in the process and have to cover it up with hardware acceleration. Changing DPI on the fly also isn't really a feature that any "pro" or serious competitive fps gamer would use, it's all about muscle memory, aim and repetition. 

Being an optical mouse with a decent shape the Corsair M40 isn't a bad option. My personal favourite are Zowie mice because of the flawless sensor and no annoying software etc for LANs, but the Rival, Deathadder and G400 are all decent options as well (although some have minor jitter/accel issues but nothing like laser mice).