...who thinks increased production value decreses the fun-to-watch-factor at some point?

fun_to_watch.png

(just a quick paint-drawing)

It might just be me but the current R4 unboxing did kinda remind me of the funny LTT-Videos back in the day.

Now it seems that they are scripted to perfection and imo that makes them less interesting and feels less genuine.

I bet some folks will remember those days where linus was hanging a cam from his neck  and was using a mini tripot to

"fix" it while he was making unboxings at home. That was far from being perfect but it was way more personal and -for me- more fun to watch than some videos with lots of shiny b-rolls.

I am not saying that everything should be as is was back then.

But I think that it wouldn't hurt if there were some "old-style" unboxings again (for example "park-bench-unboxings" and stuff like that).

Btw. I'm aware of the fact that Linus has to keep a certain level of perfection to attract sponsors.

Yes. Absolutely. I've voiced this concern twice at least. 

At first I thought you were talking about anime, in which case, no, more production value is always better. 

But for the LTT videos, yes. I don't watch them unless it's actually a product I'm interested in. I used to watch all of them regardless because I enjoyed them as entertainment and a learning experience. Not so anymore.

However, I understand why Linus does it, and don't hate on him for it. Need dat money after all. But, I believe if he tried hard enough, he could've kept both. He didn't, but I believe he could have. Oh well. Tis life.

I don't want to watch a commercial unless it entertains me and teaches me at the same time. The new videos (with rare exception) don't do this. 

I would link my older posts on it, but I can't find them. Can't remember exact wording so Google isn't helping.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well, yeah sort of. But there still alright vids to watch

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I love the old stuff but in the same way I think the new stuff is great. I also think that the higher production value is attracting more new viewers that might not have liked the old style of doing things.

The old style was a little on the crass side of things and bordering on offensive (I had no problems with it). I think that could deterred some people from watching the videos.

I don't know maybe that's just me but that's what I think.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

i think this is why a second video series like the ones they did the pilots for is important. with these they can be more creative and free. with more personal touch to the videos i think they will be just as fun. 

Yes I definitely agree.

I used to watch way more LTT videos back in the day. Nowadays they just feel like ads. The WANk show still has that old style feel to it, which makes it more personal.

Uhh no. I'm not watching for willing suspension of disbelief, the videos are trying to convey information and the more effectively the format allows for that the better.