Stuck Windows Update

My windows keeps making me do an update almost every time I shut down or restart my PC.  This update always gets stuck at 48% (for several hours until I eventually force shutdown).  Also I've noticed very high cpu usage from these two things:

- Dism Host Servicing Process

- Modern Setup Host

I don't know if that's relevant.

The update is called 20H2 I think but sometimes it says something different

I'm on a laptop with an rtx 2060 and an intel cpu. 

I've tried the troubleshooter, I've tried resetting the PC, and I've tried yelling at it really loud to convince it to work, but I have had no success.

Please help if you can.

Does it initialize the update from the moment you boot? Or are you trying to manually update?

the pc guy

Just now, Forleb said:

Does it initialize the update from the moment you boot? Or are you trying to manually update?

The former.

Just now, Nancy Reagan said:

The former.

Well then... you'll probably have to do a fresh install of Windows. I do not recommend you do that immediately, as someone else may come in with a more practical solution, but laptops generally are not modular enough for drive swapping or even having multiple drives.

Only one process comes to mind right now, but it costs money:
1) Buy a USB:SATA hub, as well as a 2.5" drive large enough to hold everything you need off the laptop.

2) Install Windows on this new drive, and hope that once you've booted into it, you can pull what you need from the laptop's drive.

3) Fully format the laptop's drive & clone the external one back onto it.

4) Remove the external drive and attempt to boot into the laptop's drive again.

Once again, I'd like to believe another option will pop up with time, but that's what I can offer for now.

the pc guy