Platform agnostic and open interface for smartphone interface to cars

Why can’t the phone just mirror its screen rather than requiring closed interface like android auto and apple car play?

Plus this closed interface will limit the life of the feature (depending on when a update fails on one of the device - car or phone) and its functionality. Wish the implementation was designed like how we control the volume of smartphone with the headphone jack; simple interface with nothing to hack.

For example, the phone and car cannot write any data to each other only read what data is presented to them. In the case of external touchscreen just the input from the display is relayed to the phone which is paired/trusted, similar to how usb-OTG and bluetooth is paired. And for audio and mic the phones output is accepted by the car. 

Security!
I dont want just anything be able to take over my phones screen.

You could have the functionality you talk about but then USB wont have enough connectors. (Even USB-C's 19 pole connector.)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

8 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Security!
I dont want just anything be able to take over my phones screen.

You could have the functionality you talk about but then USB wont have enough connectors. (Even USB-C's 19 pole connector.)

An Ad-Hoc wifi connection would supply ample bandwidth to support mirroring. At close range over a 802.11ax connection, the latency should be quite low as well. 

I can see security being a potential hurdle. One way to deal with this would probably be to run a virtual machine on the host device (the smartphone) to limit what can and cannot be accessed. Unless the infotainment system includes displays for the back seat, I don’t think there would be much to stress the device’s capabilities. Flagship devices have been powerful enough to do this for some years, though this may effectively lock out low end devices. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

36 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

An Ad-Hoc wifi connection would supply ample bandwidth to support mirroring. At close range over a 802.11ax connection, the latency should be quite low as well.

With such a connection im pretty sure encryption isnt much of a hurdle either. The VM thing is indeed a very good point and should work perfectly.

Also having used Android Auto for like an hour, its not just mirroring the phone, instead its a more car focused system. But i do agree there should be some consensus about how it works on either Android or iOS device.
But to name the biggest 2, goodluck having Samsung and Apple play nice with each other. They are like a bunch of spoiled kids, anything the opponent does is inherently wrong in their opinions. Which is very sad and only hurts the consumer (altho they dont care for that jsut money).

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!