1440p monitor with 1080p laptop?

So i've been looking to buy a monitor to use with my Dell g5 se laptop as a main display for gaming but i'm not sure if I should get a 1080p or 1440p display Both 27" and 144hz.

would it be able to run the higher resolution? I'm currently running radeon rx 5600m graphics and my laptops display is 1080p 144hz. I play games like overwatch and minecraft but was hoping for better resolution for red dead 2.

The thing I found the funniest is that on Dell's product page they have a Geforce logo on the page but it has AMD graphics in it. It has a 5600M GPU which is roughly compared to a 2060. In which case should be just fine to be able to run 1440p. IDK if you'll get 144 FPS out of RD2 at 1440p but it should handle it just fine. just note that if both your laptop screen and the monitor are 27" then things will looks disproportionate when say moving a browser window from one to the other. text will get smaller, etc.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUO III 360 ARGB White Edition All-in-one AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

Storage: 6 various HDDs and SSDs
Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix 3090
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL 
Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 1000w
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED 49"
Keyboard: Logitech G915 
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED
Headphones: Sennheiser RS 175

Mic: Blue Yeti

It's weird that I have encountered this exact topic. I also have a G5 and just bought a 1440p monitor. On high settings we can run rdr2 around 60 fps on 1080p. But I suppose it will drop at most around 45fps on 1440p. The thing is the monitor hasn't reached to me yet and I am concerned about having to play some games on 1080p on my 1440 p monitor. It seems that for 1440p gaming we shall HAVE TO sacrifice a fair bit of performance and not gonna be able to play on 1080p res on 2k monitor. Now I am in doubt if I should have bought 1080p monitor for 1080p gaming (because of pixel correlation). I will try to remember leaving a feedback to you when I get the monitor.