Did Walmart sell me a used Motherboard?

Go to solution Solved by trag1c,

It might be flux residue that didn't come off in the cleaning process after the board was sent through the reflow oven. 

Try taking a bit of higher concentration Isopropyl Alcohol (70% or higher) and a micro fiber to see if it comes off.

Bought this motherboard for my brothers PC build but the motherboard seems like it was used? Not sure what those wet spots are, seems like grease but it doesn’t rub off and the cooler stands look dirty. Am I tripping or should I get a new one. Thanks

3 minutes ago, Marty6IX said:

Bought this motherboard for my brothers PC build but the motherboard seems like it was used? Not sure what those wet spots are, seems like grease but it doesn’t rub off and the cooler stands look dirty. Am I tripping or should I get a new one. Thanks

Did you buy it online?

Not gonna lie, theres so much glare I cant see anything

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

The video's so bright I can't really see a thing... But if you bought the motherboard online, it's possible it was from a third party seller (Walmart.com is a marketplace like Amazon so anyone can sell there). I personally avoid buying things from Walmart's website for that reason. Third party sellers are everywhere on their site, and some of them can be really sketchy.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

5 minutes ago, jrhaberland said:

Did you buy it online?

I bought it online, through Walmart.com

Just now, WaggishOhio383 said:

The video's so bright I can't really see a thing... But if you bought the motherboard online, it's possible it was from a third party seller (Walmart.com is a marketplace like Amazon). I personally avoid buying things from Walmart's website for that reason. Third party sellers are everywhere on their site, and some of them can be really sketchy.

Sorry, for the bad video I shot it in 4K but the file size was well over 300mbs I had to compress it and it lost some details, but I bought it from Walmart directly it was shipped and sold by them 

1 minute ago, Marty6IX said:

I bought it online, through Walmart.com

Did you buy it directly from Walmart or from a third party? Cause Walmart.com has both things sold directly from Walmart and from third party sellers. It's entirely possible you got one from a third party.

Just now, Marty6IX said:

I bought it from Walmart directly it was shipped and sold by them 

Well in that case it should definitely be new unless the listing explicitly said used somewhere and you missed it. Did the box the motherboard came in look at all like it had been opened before, and did any of the contents inside look disturbed?

1 minute ago, Marty6IX said:

Sorry, for the bad video I shot it in 4K but the file size was well over 300mbs I had to compress it and it lost some details

Is it possible that you could just upload pictures of the spots in question? Would help to be able to see what you're talking about.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

walmart may not have sold you a used board but what they did sell you is a board that didnt meet the manufacturers requirments so walmart bought it cheap so walmart and the manufacturer could make money. i know this sounds a little crazy as we all know walmart for being cheap crap anyway but i have seen this first hand in my own local walmart. stuff i used to buy that would last me for a couple of years now only last a couple of months.

1 hour ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Well in that case it should definitely be new unless the listing explicitly said used somewhere and you missed it. Did the box the motherboard came in look at all like it had been opened before, and did any of the contents inside look disturbed?

Is it possible that you could just upload pictures of the spots in question? Would help to be able to see what you're talking about.

F2B79230-0707-4693-AF68-06CB9207CE5C.jpeg

A2DDDD67-019C-4527-9931-70DCE53ACD50.jpeg

4177D081-AE72-41B1-AFBB-8E7982228B81.jpeg

B743E84D-C9AE-41BC-A51E-28BDD9FFEE1B.jpeg

DD296D51-C7BF-4DEB-934C-8F0C5350205E.jpeg

CF726BE9-2694-481F-A646-3E149AF01CFC.jpeg

8DEA8190-6954-4E75-AD26-C1BCABA5F12A.jpeg

Just now, Marty6IX said:

F2B79230-0707-4693-AF68-06CB9207CE5C.jpeg

A2DDDD67-019C-4527-9931-70DCE53ACD50.jpeg

4177D081-AE72-41B1-AFBB-8E7982228B81.jpeg

B743E84D-C9AE-41BC-A51E-28BDD9FFEE1B.jpeg

DD296D51-C7BF-4DEB-934C-8F0C5350205E.jpeg

CF726BE9-2694-481F-A646-3E149AF01CFC.jpeg

8DEA8190-6954-4E75-AD26-C1BCABA5F12A.jpeg

So the box didn’t come sealed and there’s no sign of physical damage but the board it’s self was sealed, it came with the “grease”/ dark spots that don’t wipe off and it looks dusty 

13 minutes ago, tdkid said:

walmart may not have sold you a used board but what they did sell you is a board that didnt meet the manufacturers requirments so walmart bought it cheap so walmart and the manufacturer could make money. i know this sounds a little crazy as we all know walmart for being cheap crap anyway but i have seen this first hand in my own local walmart. stuff i used to buy that would last me for a couple of years now only last a couple of months.

I built my first PC entirely from Walmart at the start of the pandemic and the parts were really good so I thought I’d do the same for my brother and it turned out like this

It might be flux residue that didn't come off in the cleaning process after the board was sent through the reflow oven. 

Try taking a bit of higher concentration Isopropyl Alcohol (70% or higher) and a micro fiber to see if it comes off.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

5 minutes ago, Marty6IX said:

I built my first PC entirely from Walmart at the start of the pandemic and the parts were really good so I thought I’d do the same for my brother and it turned out like this

well then your walmart just started going downhill. mine has been this way for years. ran by a mexian woman who had no idea how to run a store of this size and went on a firing spree, didnt order enough product to replace what people were always buying and was just a bad store manager. and no this is not racist. before her was an asian man who was one of the best managers i ever saw at this store and now after her we have a black man who seems to be getting things back on track.

anyway. walmart products are good if you need a quick replacment as they are cheap and mostly available but i wouldnt rely on them for too long. its true in that you get what you pay for. walmart products are cheap because the products themselves are cheap.