Replacement Thermal Pads for GPU

darustla

Hi all im after some advice on which thermal pads to buy for my gpu, i was going to buy the thermal grizzly 8 pads but read they are very stiff and may not squish without force.

Does anyone have experience in this field that can point me in the right direction?

26 minutes ago, darustla said:

Hi all im after some advice on which thermal pads to buy for my gpu, i was going to buy the thermal grizzly 8 pads but read they are very stiff and may not squish without force.

Does anyone have experience in this field that can point me in the right direction?

I can tell you that different GPUs have different pads so without information on the pads you have it would be real real difficult to make a recommendation.  It’s not just the stiffness but the thickness of a given pad that is important.  There’s also the thermal conductivity. It’s a big enough issue that SOP is generally to simply reuse original pads if possible.  If not they have to be gone at with a micrometer to determine thickness.  Doesn’t help with conductivity though.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thanks for the reply.

The card in question is an Asus 1060 Turbo 6gb, I have contacted Asus for some clarification in hopes they will get back to me. The reason I want to replace them is when I repasted the gpu I noticed some pads aren't in the best condition and my temps are climbing to 90c which has led me to set an 80c limit on the card in afterburner.

7 minutes ago, darustla said:

Thanks for the reply.

The card in question is an Asus 1060 Turbo 6gb, I have contacted Asus for some clarification in hopes they will get back to me. The reason I want to replace them is when I repeated the gpu I noticed some pads aren't in the best condition and my temps are climbing to 90c which has led me to set an 80c limit on the card in afterburner.

I can tell you that pads are often measured in fractional millimeters, hence the micrometer thing.  Pad thicknesses and consistencies are not commonly part of specs and you might have trouble finding specifics from anyone other than asus.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Looks like I'll just play the waiting game and hope they get back to me 

59 minutes ago, darustla said:

Gelid Extreme (12 w/m/k) pads compress very well,

Also Arctic 6 w/mk (blue) pads also compress very well.

Buy the thickness you need.

Also micrometers are often cheap. Really good ones aren’t but you don’t need a really good one.  Your local big box should have some in the measuring tape aisle

I'm in Australia so not sure what a big box is? Is that the equivalent to an electrical hobbyist store?

1 hour ago, darustla said:

I'm in Australia so not sure what a big box is? Is that the equivalent to an electrical hobbyist store?

They might not have them there I don’t know. “Big box” refers to size and shape of the building. A large warehouse chain store.  In this case for lumber and do-it-yourself home repair.  There are many types of them.  The cheap micrometers are for construction and are used for things like checking wiring and sheet metal and plastic thicknesses. They come from China so finding one on,say, alibaba, shouldn’t be too difficult.  They’re a bit more money than a decent tape measure, but not too much.  High grade machinists ones used to be hundreds of dollars.  These are nothing like that.

On 5/12/2021 at 9:32 PM, darustla said:

Thanks for the reply.

The card in question is an Asus 1060 Turbo 6gb, I have contacted Asus for some clarification in hopes they will get back to me. The reason I want to replace them is when I repasted the gpu I noticed some pads aren't in the best condition and my temps are climbing to 90c which has led me to set an 80c limit on the card in afterburner.

Your VRAM temp or GPU die temp? If it's the GPU temp check if you have good enough contact with the GPU die. You might need more paste.

Afterburner reports it as the GPU die temp unless I'm mistaken? 

I repasted with m-4 and removed the heat sink and confirmed the paste has made very good contact between GPU and sink, I didn't spread the paste I let it spread naturally as I screwed the heat sink back on.

I have come to figure out that running this card without vsync in 1440p really kicks it in the guts thermally, I applied vsync at a capped 60fps in 1440p and it instantly dropped my temps in BFV to 70-75.