Laptop Question

Go to solution Solved by SniperMonke,
32 minutes ago, Informant said:

Hi. I have 2 laptops that I could select from when buying. One has the rtx 3070 and the other the rtx 3080 laptop videocard. Both cards run at 105 watts. The CPU is identical in both laptops and is stock. It is the Intel Core i7-10870H. The laptops have identical 1080p 144hz displays and are completely identical besides the video cards. Will there be any CPU or gpu bottlenecks here on any of these two laptops? What about if I connect my 1440p 60hz monitor to any of these two laptops? I need to know if I should buy the 3080 laptop or is the 3070 laptop enough for hardcore gaming on max settings, especially with the 1440p monitor. Getting the 3070 laptop variant would save quite a lot of money. I also have a question about cooling. The cooling system is identical in both laptops. My question is if the laptop with the 3080 will heat up more cause it is a more powerful video card and therefore will produce more heat? Or is it the opposite and the laptop with the 3070 will heat up more cause the graphics card will have to work more in games cause it is less powerful. I want a laptop with a video card that has lower temperatures when gaming, even if the difference would only be 2 degrees Celsius. I also need to know if I need 32gb of ram or would 16gb be enough for 2021 and onwards. Only the ssd and the amount of ram can be changed on both laptops. Also, how can I disable nvidia Optimus? Thanks for the help!

There isn't much difference between the 3070 and the 3080 (providing that neither are Max-q versions). Personally, I would go with the 3080 since it will most likely be more future proof. As far as cooling goes, I would look up a bit on the model you are buying and look at reviews to see if anyone is having any cooling issues. 

16gb of ram should be enough for now and the future but 32gb of ram will most likely be more beneficial in the long run. Either way, 16gb is more than enough so don't stress it.

HI. No idea if this is the right thread for this, but here goes. I have 2 laptops that I could select from when buying. One has the rtx 3070 and the other the rtx 3080 laptop videocard. Both cards run at 105 watts. The CPU is identical in both laptops and is stock. It is the Intel Core i7-10870H. The laptops have identical  1080p 144hz displays. Will there be any bottlenecks here on any of these two laotops? What about if I connect my 1440p 60hz monitor to any of these two laptops? Thanks.

Hi. I have 2 laptops that I could select from when buying. One has the rtx 3070 and the other the rtx 3080 laptop videocard. Both cards run at 105 watts. The CPU is identical in both laptops and is stock. It is the Intel Core i7-10870H. The laptops have identical 1080p 144hz displays and are completely identical besides the video cards. Will there be any CPU or gpu bottlenecks here on any of these two laptops? What about if I connect my 1440p 60hz monitor to any of these two laptops? I need to know if I should buy the 3080 laptop or is the 3070 laptop enough for hardcore gaming on max settings, especially with the 1440p monitor. Getting the 3070 laptop variant would save quite a lot of money. I also have a question about cooling. The cooling system is identical in both laptops. My question is if the laptop with the 3080 will heat up more cause it is a more powerful video card and therefore will produce more heat? Or is it the opposite and the laptop with the 3070 will heat up more cause the graphics card will have to work more in games cause it is less powerful. I want a laptop with a video card that has lower temperatures when gaming, even if the difference would only be 2 degrees Celsius. I also need to know if I need 32gb of ram or would 16gb be enough for 2021 and onwards. Only the ssd and the amount of ram can be changed on both laptops. Also, how can I disable nvidia Optimus? Thanks for the help! 

“Bottleneck” is one of those words I see a lot on the “tech terms you hate” tread.  There will always be “bottleneck” problems on every computer you either have used or will use, and they all vary by app so it’s a somewhat useless question as it is impossible to answer.  As a general rule for games games are harder on GPUs and easier on CPUs. The otherwise identical machines with different power graphics cards both have GPUs that run at 105w so there I’ll be 105w of heat to get rid of. Both machines are getting rid of the same amount of heat so both machines will behave identically that way.  You seem to be asking if one will be more efficient than the other. My suspicion is that when limited to the same wattage the two cards will behave very similarly. They’re both amphere after all. I could be very wrong about that though.  Have you looked about for testing on them?

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Informant said:

The difference honestly is not buy much between those gpu's.For instance look at this link,even if you dont know German there are pictures and graphs so its self explanatory https://www.computerbase.de/2021-01/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3000-laptop-gpu-test/2/

16gb would be enough,but 32 will always be better.Since laptops when you are buying them you pay pretty hefty price for the ram upgrade from the store,you can go with the 16 gb of ram,and if you want you can still upgrade it to 32 and it will be probably cheaper.

Cooling at laptops will always be bad,check the laptop that you want to buy and look for tests on youtube or forum so you know its true temps while gaming etc.buy that stand with a fan and it will help a bit.

32 minutes ago, Informant said:

There isn't much difference between the 3070 and the 3080 (providing that neither are Max-q versions). Personally, I would go with the 3080 since it will most likely be more future proof. As far as cooling goes, I would look up a bit on the model you are buying and look at reviews to see if anyone is having any cooling issues. 

16gb of ram should be enough for now and the future but 32gb of ram will most likely be more beneficial in the long run. Either way, 16gb is more than enough so don't stress it.

-= Merged all comments and topics =-

-= Moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems =-

Please do not spam post your question, this can result in undesirable actions taken.

One topic - One question - Same subject.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER