When to change Thermal paste and pads which paste is best?

Anicool007
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

I haven't seen/heard about any set limits with thermal pads. Usually, you change laptop because of general performance, not cooling issues. For thermal paste, the recommended switch timeframe is 2 years. However, if you don't see any change in temps, there's no actual need to change the paste. Lower end paste's have issues with drying in longer uses, but such is not issue with higher end stuff like those you mention.

The difference between high-end pastes is minimal, and usually people buy just by brand preference. For example I prefer Noctua.

I have a Dell G7 gaming laptop and while searching for cooling I just saw soo many thermal paste but I got confused between Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste and ARCTIC MX-5 which one is best for my laptop and should I also have to replace the thermal pads as well? If yes than which thermal pads are best and how often should I have to replace my thermal paste as well as thermal pads?

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen/heard about any set limits with thermal pads. Usually, you change laptop because of general performance, not cooling issues. For thermal paste, the recommended switch timeframe is 2 years. However, if you don't see any change in temps, there's no actual need to change the paste. Lower end paste's have issues with drying in longer uses, but such is not issue with higher end stuff like those you mention.

The difference between high-end pastes is minimal, and usually people buy just by brand preference. For example I prefer Noctua.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I use Noctua thermal paste as well. Also Thermal Grizzly liquid metal.

For thermal pads, look for the highest conductivity that you can find. You also need to find out what thickness you need. I've used Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 in the past and have had good luck with them. They come in various thicknesses and sheet sizes.