Would this make a good development rig?

After many years my very old but trusty 32gb DDR3, AMD FX 6300 rig I used as a development rig (promo videos/artwork, 3d modeling/scenes using Adobe AE/Pr and Cinema 4D for a charity brand I run also dabbled in the occasion music production for the DJing stuff I do using the Ableton DAW) recently got pushed a tad too hard for its old age and died.

So after many months of saving I've pulled enough together for a partial rebuild (my GPU is a GTX 1080 and does the job for the moment, and until the current GPU mayhem settles it's pointless looking down that road just yet and I have a few fairly new large capacity HDD's which will be kept for asset/project storage/cache). 

My budget is £1400 (UK) and I was considering these components which compared to my previous build is night and day, my question is, is this a suitable build to still be able to use as a development rig (still using the same software as mentioned earlier) and maybe have a kick about on a game or two. 

- ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (AMD AM4) B550 ATX MOTHERBOARD - £169.99

- AMD RYZEN 7 5800X EIGHT CORE 4.7GHZ (SOCKET AM4) PROCESSOR - RETAIL - £389.99

- TEAM GROUP VULCAN Z T-FORCE 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT - X2 to make it 64GB - £279.98

- WD BLACK 500GB SN750 M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E GEN3 SOLID STATE DRIVE - £62.99

- WD BLUE SN550 1TB SSD NVME M.2 2280 PCIE GEN3 SOLID STATE DRIVE - £82.99

- SILVERSTONE ET700 700W 80 PLUS GOLD FULLY MODULAR POWER SUPPLY - £89.99

Rest of the budget will be for a triple fan AIO water cooler for the CPU and a decent tower.

Will this make for a good solid development rig? (Not aiming for warp speed renders in C4D/AE but something compatible and will get the job done). 

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions. 🤘

The 5900X is generally a better value overall than the 5800X, if you can find it in stock at retail. It's $100 more than the 5800X in the US. Not sure what the spread would be in pounds, but if it's comparable, it's more than worth it, for the type of work you're doing.

For Zen 3, you really need at least 3600MHz RAM or you're just leaving performance on the table. Also, I can't find info on whether those sticks are single or dual ranked. A representative from Team Group responded to an Amazon question on that essentially saying that it's random, which doesn't instill much confidence overall. If that's true, they're just buying up whatever is cheap at the moment and throwing it all under the same SKU. Zen 3 prefers four ranks total, so for 64GB total, you should try to find sticks that are definitely single rank.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

4 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

The 5900X is generally a better value overall than the 5800X, if you can find it in stock at retail. It's $100 more than the 5800X in the US. Not sure what the spread would be in pounds, but if it's comparable, it's more than worth it, for the type of work you're doing.

For Zen 3, you really need at least 3600MHz RAM or you're just leaving performance on the table. Also, I can't find info on whether those sticks are single or dual ranked. A representative from Team Group responded to an Amazon question on that essentially saying that it's random, which doesn't instill much confidence overall. If that's true, they're just buying up whatever is cheap at the moment and throwing it all under the same SKU. Zen 3 prefers four ranks total, so for 64GB total, you should try to find sticks that are definitely single rank.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the ram, so getting 3600MHz is highly advised over the 3200MHz. The site I used for the list had them listed as Dual channel but if in your search the result was questionable then I will look into another brand and ensure single channel 4x16. 🤘

1 minute ago, D-CRYPTER said:

Thanks for the heads up regarding the ram, so getting 3600MHz is highly advised over the 3200MHz. The site I used for the list had them listed as Dual channel but if in your search the result was questionable then I will look into another brand and ensure single channel 4x16. 🤘

Well, dual rank wouldn't be ideal, anyways, for four sticks, so either way, you should keep looking.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Find 3200 cl14, from there you can go to 4000mhz if you want to.

Don't use all 4 memory slots if possible.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Well, dual rank wouldn't be ideal, anyways, for four sticks, so either way, you should keep looking.

Would quad channel work, this came up in the suggestions and the site only seems to do single channel sticks in low frequency, everything 3200MHz and above is dual and quad.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team-group-xtreem-8pack-edition-64gb-4x16gb-ddr4-pc4-28800c17-3600mhz-quad-channel-kit-black-my-09z-tg.html

1 minute ago, D-CRYPTER said:

Would quad channel work, this came up in the suggestions and the site only seems to do single channel sticks in low frequency, everything 3200MHz and above is dual and quad.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team-group-xtreem-8pack-edition-64gb-4x16gb-ddr4-pc4-28800c17-3600mhz-quad-channel-kit-black-my-09z-tg.html

Sorry, I think I confused you. I was talking about single vs dual ranked. This is an entirely different thing than channels. Basically everything consumer level is dual channel. Quad channel memory is for servers and proconsumer products like Threadripper or X99.

2 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Sorry, I think I confused you. I was talking about single vs dual ranked. This is an entirely different thing than channels. Basically everything consumer level is dual channel. Quad channel memory is for servers and proconsumer products like Threadripper or X99.

Ahh yeah I was a tad confused for a moment 😂, was scouring the site was getting frustrated to why they didn't have the ram. 

that will overclock, but 3200c14 is better.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

56 minutes ago, D-CRYPTER said:

After many years my very old but trusty 32gb DDR3, AMD FX 6300 rig I used as a development rig (promo videos/artwork, 3d modeling/scenes using Adobe AE/Pr and Cinema 4D for a charity brand I run also dabbled in the occasion music production for the DJing stuff I do using the Ableton DAW) recently got pushed a tad too hard for its old age and died.

So after many months of saving I've pulled enough together for a partial rebuild (my GPU is a GTX 1080 and does the job for the moment, and until the current GPU mayhem settles it's pointless looking down that road just yet and I have a few fairly new large capacity HDD's which will be kept for asset/project storage/cache). 

My budget is £1400 (UK) and I was considering these components which compared to my previous build is night and day, my question is, is this a suitable build to still be able to use as a development rig (still using the same software as mentioned earlier) and maybe have a kick about on a game or two. 

- ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (AMD AM4) B550 ATX MOTHERBOARD - £169.99

- AMD RYZEN 7 5800X EIGHT CORE 4.7GHZ (SOCKET AM4) PROCESSOR - RETAIL - £389.99

- TEAM GROUP VULCAN Z T-FORCE 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT - X2 to make it 64GB - £279.98

- WD BLACK 500GB SN750 M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E GEN3 SOLID STATE DRIVE - £62.99

- WD BLUE SN550 1TB SSD NVME M.2 2280 PCIE GEN3 SOLID STATE DRIVE - £82.99

- SILVERSTONE ET700 700W 80 PLUS GOLD FULLY MODULAR POWER SUPPLY - £89.99

Rest of the budget will be for a triple fan AIO water cooler for the CPU and a decent tower.

Will this make for a good solid development rig? (Not aiming for warp speed renders in C4D/AE but something compatible and will get the job done). 

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions. 🤘

i don’t see a video processor, as the 5800x has no onboard graphics. if you don’t have a dedicated video card while going AMD zen 3, your pc won’t have any video signal. granted, zen 3 is best for development, but you need a dedicated gpu then. 

Gaming PC:

CPU- Intel Core i5-10400 (planning to upgrade when Alder Lake releases)

CPU Cooler- be quiet! Dark Rock Slim up to 180W TDP

Motherboard- Asus ROG Strix B460-h Gaming

Memory- Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000 CL15 memory

Storage- Crucial P2 1TB M.2-NVME SSD up to 2400 MB/s 

Video Card- MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3060 Ti OC

PC Chassis- Cooler Master TD500 MESH ARGB with Controller

Power Supply- EVGA 650w P2 (planning to upgrade to EVGA 80+ Gold 1k watts)

Rear Fan- Touchaqua Bitspower Notos RGB fan

Monitor- Acer EI272UR 2560x1440 144hz 4ms Radeon Freesync monitor

Keyboard- Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum

Mouse- Logitech G203 Lightsync (planning to upgrade to g502 HERO)

Controller- Xbox One Wireless Controller - Red 

LaptopProcessor- Ryzen 7 4700U (8c/8t up to 4.1Ghz) with Radeon graphics, 16GB DDR4-3200 memory, 512 NVME SSD

3 minutes ago, FireAbyss111802 said:

i don’t see a video processor, as the 5800x has no onboard graphics. if you don’t have a dedicated video card while going AMD zen 3, your pc won’t have any video signal. granted, zen 3 is best for development, but you need a dedicated gpu then. 

I have a GTX 1080 from the now dead rig which will be getting used in the new build until the current situation with GPU availability settles 😊

28 minutes ago, D-CRYPTER said:

I wouldn't follow this advice. This used to be a method of getting better performance on the cheap, i.e. you buy lower clock RAM with better timings for cheaper, and then fiddle with it until you get the faster clock with decent timings. Nowadays, there's just not that much cost difference between these kits. You might save $10 in trade for hours of your time tweaking. It just not worth it. Buy a 3600MHz CL16 kit, enable XMP, and go have a drink.

3 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

I wouldn't follow this advice. This used to be a method of getting better performance on the cheap, i.e. you buy lower clock RAM with better timings for cheaper, and then fiddle with it until you get the faster clock with decent timings. Nowadays, there's just not that much cost difference between these kits. You might save $10 in trade for hours of your time tweaking. It just not worth it. Buy a 3600MHz CL16 kit, enable XMP, and go have a drink.

Shall do, never been a fan of overclocking, shortens the overall life and performance (hence why my old system has worked like an absolute workhorse for so long). 

1 hour ago, D-CRYPTER said:

Shall do, never been a fan of overclocking, shortens the overall life and performance (hence why my old system has worked like an absolute workhorse for so long). 

Overclocking doesn’t shorten the lifespan, lol.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

6 hours ago, D-CRYPTER said:

All DDR4 memories basically are overclocked from 2133mhz base clock.

It depends on the quality of the chip whether it can handle higher clock speed.

3200mhz cl 14 so far have the best chip, samsung B-die. and it's not cheap.

overclocking won't decrease the lifespan, as long as the temperature are manageable.

53 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

All DDR4 memories basically are overclocked from 2133mhz base clock.

It depends on the quality of the chip whether it can handle higher clock speed.

3200mhz cl 14 so far have the best chip, samsung B-die. and it's not cheap.

overclocking won't decrease the lifespan, as long as the temperature are manageable.

Ahh thanks for the info, it's been eons since I have had to deal with components and knowing which are made with specific chips by codes etc.  I'm from an era where overclocking a component was like rolling the dice of fate 🤣