Likely SATA cable problem - what to do after

Sarra

I was going along, minding my own business, when my server/youtube/storage machine just glitched out, and died. The OS is on a 256GB Crucial MX300 SSD. I am 99% sure the SATA cable vibrated loose over time, since the machine wouldn't boot, I pulled the side panels, unplugged all 3 drives, plugged them back in, and it booted no problem into Windows.

So, after getting the machine running again (ALL of my data is still here, all 3 drives working just fine), I ran Crystal Disk Info, and I see green Good for the SSD in question, 92% life left (with 57,577 Power On Hours, I'm blaming having 32 GB of RAM on this drive, so no page file usage), what should I do to verify my file system integrity? Specifically, I'm worried that I have corrupted or damaged files. Other than Firefox, nothing was actually running when the crash occurred.

I'm running a System file check, is there anything else I should do?

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

If the good ol' scannow command comes back clean, you're golden.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

If the good ol' scannow command comes back clean, you're golden.

Gave me a 'found and repaired corrupted files' message. I rebooted after it finished, just to be safe. I'll run a bench on the SSD every few weeks to make sure the SATA cable isn't coming out again... OMGBBQ I'm so glad my main machine has an M.2 drive for the OS. @___@

Just now, Sarra said:

Gave me a 'found and repaired corrupted files' message. I rebooted after it finished, just to be safe. I'll run a bench on the SSD every few weeks to make sure the SATA cable isn't coming out again... OMGBBQ I'm so glad my main machine has an M.2 drive for the OS. @___@

It might not hurt to download the ISO from Microsoft, mount it and do an in-place repair installation without wiping any programs or data.

Just now, aisle9 said:

It might not hurt to download the ISO from Microsoft, mount it and do an in-place repair installation without wiping any programs or data.

I have a Win 10 Pro install disc and a USB Blu Ray drive. It's an older installer though...

That reminds me I need to finally get off my butt and make a Win 10 Pro UEFI USB installer >_> Annoying.

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

I have a Win 10 Pro install disc and a USB Blu Ray drive. It's an older installer though...

That reminds me I need to finally get off my butt and make a Win 10 Pro UEFI USB installer >_> Annoying.

You should be fine just grabbing the ISO from Microsoft's site. I do that every time I change motherboards, or once a year, whichever comes first.

Actually might have one, I'll give this a shot if I've already got it.

3 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Do your SATA cables have a lock on them? May wanna swap them out for ones that do.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-LSATA12-12in-Latching-Cable/dp/B000FHF25Q

They have locks on the motherboard side. I think the OS drive cable is missing the lock, or didn't have one.

I also realized that there was enough dust in the machine that it is a general choking hazard, so I dusted it out (and choked on it several times).

I just ran CrystalDiskMark to make sure I've got throughput, and it actually looks faster than the newer MX500 drive in my gaming machine (though much, MUCH slower than my M.2 MP600).

Going to do a few more tests.