Troubleshooting: Laptop shuts down after turning on and unplugged.

Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,

Replacement battery and Amazon anything usually (or at least waaaay too often) means counterfeit battery.  You’re lucky to get six months out of those if they work at all and aren’t simply sand in a case.  The sand ones are arguably better in some cases because sand doesn’t explode. 

So I figured I would start a thread on this issue as I cannot find any other posts on this form which match it exactly. (to my knowledge of course)

This is not a mission critical problem but I always like to hear and learn from the people in this community.

(Also hopefully will help someone else in the future)

Background:

Dell xps 15 9550. (i7-6700HQ, 960m, 16gb ram, 225gb ssd)

Battery replaced 1 year ago with no problems until recently. This is what went in: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZFL845N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Daily driver for 3 years and has seen light use for the most recent 2 years. 

I often leave it shut off and plugged in, ready to go when I need it. (1-2 times a week tops)

Problems:

On occasion after unplugging and turning on with full battery it will flash login screen then completely shuts down. When this happens I am unable to power back on or even check battery capacity via indicator lights on the side. It is completely dead and unresponsive, with the only solution being to plug it in and turn it back on. After this everything is normal, battery shows 100% etc. and I am able to unplug and go about my business issue free. 

Analysis:

My first instinct would be to say the battery is somehow faulty, however it is curious that this is only now an issue. I wouldn't think it is degraded too much with such light use. Leaving devices plugged in is not the most healthy practice in the world however It was plugged in 24/7 with the factory battery and lasted much longer if this is the issue. If the battery is faulty (and so soon) this might be due to the fact I bought the replacement from an obscure amazon page. My question would then be how is one to know (other than reviews) if a non OEM replacement part like a battery is quality. Are there specific brands to look for or is it just generally better practice to eat the higher OEM price?

Second instinct is that this is a funky windows issue, maybe from a recent update? That would explain why I am only now experiencing these issues. 

I typically run power settings on 'better battery' when unplugged and 'max performance' when plugged in.

Currently I am not 100% sure how to proceed with troubleshooting this issue, or if there is even any troubleshooting to be done. Any and all thoughts and opinions are welcome!

Replacement battery and Amazon anything usually (or at least waaaay too often) means counterfeit battery.  You’re lucky to get six months out of those if they work at all and aren’t simply sand in a case.  The sand ones are arguably better in some cases because sand doesn’t explode. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.