Building a non-gaming PC - CPU Question

Hey LTT community,

So I figured I can save a good amount of money or funnel those funds into a more powerful CPU if I pass on the GPU. I'm looking into the Ryzen family of CPUs. Lots of windows open, web browsers, business software etc. This is the website I plan to purchase the CPU from (Australian Site).

• Can Ryzen CPUs run a computer without a GPU? 
  • Ignoring gaming, are there any downsides to not having a GPU in my system?
  • Which CPU would you buy for this use case?

Thanks for any and all replies.

<-- Moved to New Builds and Planning -->

• Can Ryzen CPUs run a computer without a GPU? 

Only Ryzen CPUs with a G designation have an iGPU on them, EX: 3400g, 3200g etc..

• Ignoring gaming, are there any downsides to not having a GPU in my system?

No, it will be perfectly fine for normal system tasks such as web browsing, viewing Youtube, Hulu, Netflix etc...

• Which CPU would you buy for this use case?

I would recommend you get a x400g series CPU as they have SMT, or more commonly known from Intel as Hyperthreading. The x200g series do not have SMT and are usually a 4core 4thread CPU so you would be very limited in any type of gaming you may want to do both on the iGPU as well as when you get a dedicated GPU down the line. Looking at the options available, the 3400g is the best option. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5 minutes ago, joelsoh said:

Can Ryzen CPUs run a computer without a GPU? 

Only ones that have a G on their end. 3200G, 3400G, 4650G etc. The most you can get off that website is a 3400G which is a 4 core 8 thread cpu which should do the job depending on the use case.

Thanks guys. How about Intel CPUs? Those usually don't need GPUs right? The more I think about it, for this use case, restricting myself to AMD probably doesn't make sense. 

Just now, joelsoh said:

Thanks guys. How about Intel CPUs? Those usually don't need GPUs right? The more I think about it, for this use case, restricting myself to AMD probably doesn't make sense. 

For intel, its actually the opposite. Almost all there CPUs have integrated graphics EXCEPT those with the F designation. IE: 10400f 10900kf etc.. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

This is what I came up with. PCPartpicker didn't seem to show any issues. So given the use case of "go as fast as possible" and  have many things open at once - how's this build?

Much appreciated guys

Build 1.png

Notes
1. Wifi on the MOBO is a big help.

2. Air cooling should be alright... I think? Shouldn't need water cooling for a business PC right?

3. I just noticed that's a single stick of RAM. I'll try and make it 2 sticks.

Intel CPU and AMD MoBo don't mix. I don't know why PCP didn't show any compatibility errors?

Cooler is a bad choice too. Overpriced - Either CM Hyper 212 EVO or Scythe Fuma 2 would be better choices.

Single stick of RAM is much slower than 2 

I edit my posts more often than not

5 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Intel CPU and AMD MoBo don't mix. I don't know why PCP didn't show any compatibility errors?

Cooler is a bad choice too. Overpriced - Either CM Hyper 2122 EVO of Scythe Fuma 2 would be better choices.

Single stick of RAM is much slower than 2 

Did I make any mistakes in PCP perhaps?

check.PNG

14 minutes ago, joelsoh said:

Did I make any mistakes in PCP perhaps?

check.PNG

No, that seems to be a bug then.

As for me it does show compatibility error.

bbb.PNG.1b24ac0fbc74ec3d4ac935ffa4df68dc.PNG

8 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

No, that seems to be a bug then.

As for me it does show compatibility error.

bbb.PNG.1b24ac0fbc74ec3d4ac935ffa4df68dc.PNG

Just check, if you add a CPU Cooler, does the error vanish? Down the bottom of the page, if I remove the cooler, I get...

"Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor does not include a stock CPU cooler. Adding a CPU Cooler to your part list is recommended."

In any case - the AMD motherboard and Intel CPU wont fit. Neither physically nor technologically.

4 hours ago, joelsoh said:

This is what I came up with. PCPartpicker didn't seem to show any issues. So given the use case of "go as fast as possible" and  have many things open at once - how's this build?

Much appreciated guys

Build 1.png

Notes
1. Wifi on the MOBO is a big help.

2. Air cooling should be alright... I think? Shouldn't need water cooling for a business PC right?

3. I just noticed that's a single stick of RAM. I'll try and make it 2 sticks.

The CPU enormous overkill if all you want to do is basic tasks and business software.

What programs do you intend to use?

"business software" can be word or PowerPoint,and it could also be Photoshop and Premier Pro.

The motherboard is also quite bad for a I9 but I see you already figured that out.

3 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

In any case - the AMD motherboard and Intel CPU wont fit. Neither physically nor technologically.

It's a LGA 1200 motherboard...

B450-amd

B460-intel

B550-amd

B560-intel

3 minutes ago, Cheburek said:

It's a LGA 1200 motherboard...

B450-amd

B460-intel

B550-amd

B560-intel

Oh, it is. My error.

I wonder what caused it.

@joelsoh - my mistake, It is a LGA1200 board.

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

I wonder what caused it.

The naming conventions of AMD and Intel....

Either way I wouldn't pair a B460 with a I9

If you don't care about power consumption, go for an 11600K.

If you care about power efficiency/performance, go for a 11500.

Both have the newest and highest iGPU from Intel and should be fine as long as you don't game AAA titles.

Even some light gaming up to 1080p might work.

I would not go for i9s, they are overpriced for what you get, they're power hogs and are basically souped up i7s, with a bunch of extra instructions to justify the price bump.

3 hours ago, TudorF said:

If you don't care about power consumption, go for an 11600K.

If you care about power efficiency/performance, go for a 11500.

Both have the newest and highest iGPU from Intel and should be fine as long as you don't game AAA titles.

Even some light gaming up to 1080p might work.

I would not go for i9s, they are overpriced for what you get, they're power hogs and are basically souped up i7s, with a bunch of extra instructions to justify the price bump.

This is great advice, 11600K is so much cheaper too. Thank you for this