240hz monitor capping at 60hz

noldock

so i got my new 240hz monitor today, an acer nitro ed270, and i was trying to set it up and in settings it wont go past 60hz for some reason, i did a ton of trying to troubleshoot but nothing worked, someone please help, also my laptop im using it with doesnt have a dp port so i have to use hdmi, but the manual said hdmi could get 1080 240hz so idk whats up

It depends on the version of the HDMI. I don't know how it is with that Acer monitor, but with AMD graphics card, when I wanted higher resolution than 60Hz, I got to go to AMD software and set-up a custom resolution here. Then I was able to change monitor refresh rate. 

25 minutes ago, noldock said:

so i got my new 240hz monitor today, an acer nitro ed270, and i was trying to set it up and in settings it wont go past 60hz for some reason, i did a ton of trying to troubleshoot but nothing worked, someone please help, also my laptop im using it with doesnt have a dp port so i have to use hdmi, but the manual said hdmi could get 1080 240hz so idk whats up

To save some time, what troubleshooting steps did you do? Have you checked the display settings from your graphics manufacturer? (Nvidia control panel, or whatever intel or AMD calls theirs) Normally you can manually set the refresh rate of your displays from that. 

nvidia control panel was also messed up for me, because im on a laptop and it only showed 3d settings in control panel

26 minutes ago, synthaxe404 said:

To save some time, what troubleshooting steps did you do? Have you checked the display settings from your graphics manufacturer? (Nvidia control panel, or whatever intel or AMD calls theirs) Normally you can manually set the refresh rate of your displays from that. 

forgot to quote lol but ^

48 minutes ago, noldock said:

nvidia control panel was also messed up for me, because im on a laptop and it only showed 3d settings in control panel

Can you link the brand and model of your laptop?

27 minutes ago, noldock said:

Was asking for the laptop, but you mentioned it said on the manual that it can run 1080p 240hz and you can only see the 3D settings in nvidia control panel. Have you tried updating the GPU drivers and/or selecting the dedicated GPU instead of using the iGPU if your laptop has it? 

7 minutes ago, synthaxe404 said:

Was asking for the laptop, but you mentioned it said on the manual that it can run 1080p 240hz and you can only see the 3D settings in nvidia control panel. Have you tried updating the GPU drivers and/or selecting the dedicated GPU instead of using the iGPU if your laptop has it? 

my gpu drivers are up to date and ive been trying to set my default gpu as the nvidia instead of intel in bios but there isnt an option for that in my bios so idk what to do. i know if i could get the display settings in control panel i could probably fix it but i cant find a way to do that

3 minutes ago, noldock said:

my gpu drivers are up to date and ive been trying to set my default gpu as the nvidia instead of intel in bios but there isnt an option for that in my bios so idk what to do. i know if i could get the display settings in control panel i could probably fix it but i cant find a way to do that

try here

Screenshot_14.png

3 minutes ago, synthaxe404 said:

try here

Screenshot_14.png

ive done that and it hasnt changed