Question about open source scan converter

Do I need one to play PS2 pal games on a PC? Also, how does it work. I am hoping to stream PS2 games and am going to get a game capture device but need to know if I need one of these too, and also if it works with PS2 cords

Emulator can work with both pal and ntsc.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

12 minutes ago, BlueMint said:

Do I need one to play PS2 pal games on a PC? Also, how does it work. I am hoping to stream PS2 games and am going to get a game capture device but need to know if I need one of these too, and also if it works with PS2 cords

PCSX2 is a fantastic PS2 emulator and it is open source and free. If you are going to go with OG hardware than I don’t think the open source scan converter would necessarily be your best option at that price point. For more info see this video:

38 minutes ago, BlueMint said:

You maybe want to try pcsx2 since with that emulator you can upscale and capture it using obs...

The only problem (atleast with me) is that the emulator is more cpu heavy than gpu heavy, atleast the current version i use right now, but any decent 4 core cpu should do the trick...

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

Emulation would be preferred if a) you have the cpu grunt for it, and b) the chosen game plays nicely and is relatively free of major flaws (not always a given). If you have a decent-ish GPU, games can also be rendered at higher resolutions, though this is liable to introduce additional issues, and bitmap textures are unaffected. If you can swing it though, the sharp image quality is fantastic.  

For the PS2 in particular, you’re unlikely to get a lot of benefit from the OSSC, aside from easy conversation from SCART to HDMI. If you plan to use an OSSC for older consoles as well (think Mega Drive, SNES, etc), then why not. Otherwise, (for only the PS2) look for an inexpensive converter and a good capture device. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Emulation would be preferred if a) you have the cpu grunt for it, and b) the chosen game plays nicely and is relatively free of major flaws (not always a given). If you have a decent-ish GPU, games can also be rendered at higher resolutions, though this is liable to introduce additional issues, and bitmap textures are unaffected. If you can swing it though, the sharp image quality is fantastic.  

For the PS2 in particular, you’re unlikely to get a lot of benefit from the OSSC, aside from easy conversation from SCART to HDMI. If you plan to use an OSSC for older consoles as well (think Mega Drive, SNES, etc), then why not. Otherwise, (for only the PS2) look for an inexpensive converter and a good capture device. 

I am trying to capture the game as it is played on the real hardware.

6 hours ago, doomsriker said:

PCSX2 is a fantastic PS2 emulator and it is open source and free. If you are going to go with OG hardware than I don’t think the open source scan converter would necessarily be your best option at that price point. For more info see this video:

I also want to be able to capture PS1 and Nintendo DS. I know there are emulators, but am looking for answers in regards to capture physical consoles on ips philips monitors. Would your answer change?

3 hours ago, BlueMint said:

I also want to be able to capture PS1 and Nintendo DS. I know there are emulators, but am looking for answers in regards to capture physical consoles on ips philips monitors. Would your answer change?

PS1 will be compatible with a lot of the same solutions as the PS2. As for DS good luck with that. Your options are tracking down a dev or show unit (both very rare) or somehow making a 3ds/2ds with a video output mod which is an extremely tricky mod if you can even track down the necessary parts. The one guy who was making them to sell just retired and it doesn’t look like anybody else is up to the task. 

9 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

PS1 will be compatible with a lot of the same solutions as the PS2. As for DS good luck with that. Your options are tracking down a dev or show unit (both very rare) or somehow making a 3ds/2ds with a video output mod which is an extremely tricky mod if you can even track down the necessary parts. The one guy who was making them to sell just retired and it doesn’t look like anybody else is up to the task. 

Not to mention that Nintendo's occasionally militant about streaming/captures of their IP.

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv