HyperX Fury 3200hz 128GB (32x4 config) XMP causes BSOD

Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,

The solution is simple: Keep XMP off.

Otherwise, it's going to have to be a manual overclock and you'll want to start in small steps (provided the mobo is fine-grained enough for that) and experiment with what works and what doesn't.

Hi guys!

First time posting. I'm having an issue with RAM on my gf computer. When the system is used without any change on the base frequency of the RAM we get a perfectly stable Win10 behavior under any load. However; when I turn on any pre-load profile (or manually set the XMP profile on the BIOS OC menu) the system start BSOD as h*ll. Normally one to five minutes after logging in. In-usable. The manual OC I did was a simple overclock from the base 2400 to 3200 and FLCK 1600, no change in voltage.

The system is;

MSI Tomahawk b550

Ryzen 3700x

MSI 5700XT

32x4 Hyper Fury 3200Hz (currently running at 2400Hz)

PSU 850w Gold 80 certf.

Temps are fine, under any load, the build have less than 3 months running. I'm really out of ideas here. Any help is more than welcome!

Workstation | AMD AM4 3950X (16C/32T) | Radeon RX 6800 XT GAMING X TRIO 16G | MSI MAG B550 | 4x32 GB DDR4 3200Mhz HyperX Fury | x2 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus | x4 2TB Western Digital Blue 3D NAND | x8 CoolerMaster SickFlow RGB Fans | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240ML | Fractal Design Ion+ 860W Platinum | Cougar 550x Mesh

Otherwise, it's going to have to be a manual overclock and you'll want to start in small steps (provided the mobo is fine-grained enough for that) and experiment with what works and what doesn't.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3700X can't handle 128gb of memory at high OC period. 

Your best chance is pull 2 sticks and hope you can reach 2667mhz to 2933mhz with any stability. Even then, might still be stuck at 2400mhz. 

Why 128gb? Facebook doesn't use even 1 stick of that memory kit lol.

5 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Hmm, I guess I'll have to go from setting to setting to find that sweet spot. Thanks for the reply.

4 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

3700X can't handle 128gb of memory at high OC period. 

Your best chance is pull 2 sticks and hope you can reach 2667mhz to 2933mhz with any stability. Even then, might still be stuck at 2400mhz. 

Why 128gb? Facebook doesn't use even 1 stick of that memory kit lol.

Wow, you have 10k forum replies being this kind of asshole? I wonder if it's just you being you, or you assumed girlfriend = woman = no intensive workload user. Kinda sad, because I always get such a good and positive feedback about the LTT forums. Guess there's a bad apple in every field.

FYI, not that you actually provide any encouraging feedback, my girlfriend is a software developer and is very interested in VFX (AE, live rendering, etc.) and video streaming, so I build her something that we could grab today and scale tomorrow, when the shortage more or less goes away. So yeah, 128GB might be an overkill today, but can be handy when streaming level design stuff in Unreal at high quality A6400 footage become her Friday night plans. Obviously the plan is to upgrade the CPU and GPU, when the aforementioned shortage end.

Workstation | AMD AM4 3950X (16C/32T) | Radeon RX 6800 XT GAMING X TRIO 16G | MSI MAG B550 | 4x32 GB DDR4 3200Mhz HyperX Fury | x2 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus | x4 2TB Western Digital Blue 3D NAND | x8 CoolerMaster SickFlow RGB Fans | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240ML | Fractal Design Ion+ 860W Platinum | Cougar 550x Mesh

48 minutes ago, Gagz9k said:

Wow, you have 10k forum replies being this kind of asshole? I wonder if it's just you being you, or you assumed girlfriend = woman = no intensive workload user. Kinda sad, because I always get such a good and positive feedback about the LTT forums. Guess there's a bad apple in every field.

FYI, not that you actually provide any encouraging feedback, my girlfriend is a software developer and is very interested in VFX (AE, live rendering, etc.) and video streaming, so I build her something that we could grab today and scale tomorrow, when the shortage more or less goes away. So yeah, 128GB might be an overkill today, but can be handy when streaming level design stuff in Unreal at high quality A6400 footage become her Friday night plans. Obviously the plan is to upgrade the CPU and GPU, when the aforementioned shortage end.

I figured maybe some streaming, but generally can easily be done on 32gb and then you'd have much higher chances of moderate overclocks above Jedec speeds. Which you haven't accomplished yet. DDR4 Jedec speeds from 1600 to 2667mhz. You could have gotten a set of 2400mhz rated memory and it would have posted at that frequency. 

The guys that come in with unregistered ECC memory basically face the same scenario. Some do get close to stability around 2933mhz in a particular thread I posted in, but most of the time, with that much memory installed, kind of restricted to Jedec frequencies. 

Any how, sorry for the mix up fella. Wasn't trying to upset anyone here. But I did get to squeeze a little more information from you to get an accurate understanding, the LOL is there because we all know girl friends and face book go together like thermal pastes and waterblocks. 

Good luck on your OC!

22 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I figured maybe some streaming, but generally can easily be done on 32gb and then you'd have much higher chances of moderate overclocks above Jedec speeds. Which you haven't accomplished yet. DDR4 Jedec speeds from 1600 to 2667mhz. You could have gotten a set of 2400mhz rated memory and it would have posted at that frequency. 

The guys that come in with unregistered ECC memory basically face the same scenario. Some do get close to stability around 2933mhz in a particular thread I posted in, but most of the time, with that much memory installed, kind of restricted to Jedec frequencies. 

Any how, sorry for the mix up fella. Wasn't trying to upset anyone here. But I did get to squeeze a little more information from you to get an accurate understanding, the LOL is there because we all know girl friends and face book go together like thermal pastes and waterblocks. 

Good luck on your OC!

Not a problem, I'm also sorry if I came off way too aggressively, I don't like that kind of cliche'ish comments (at least not on the internet, in an anonymous interaction), but all good. I know (now) it was done in good faith and just honestly joking.

That say I think I'm going to take the time, a coffee in hand, sometime this weekend, and try to find an stable upgrade in freq. manually, in those Jedec specs. I gotta burn some time while browsing for that evasive 3950x, that hopefully can squish a decent and stable 3000mhz easily.

Thanks for the reply.