I want to upgrade my CPU. How much else do i NEED to upgrade to be able to?

I dont know if this is the right category or whatever to post this under, but i have a Intel core i5-7600k CPU (3.80GHz) and recently when i have been playing games like modern warfare, scavengers and games like that (shooter games basically) i have been experiencing that my screen freezes for like .5 sec whenever i turn around or when something happens on my screen. So i checked my task manager and i see that my CPU is at 100% constantly and SOMETIMES dips down to something like 95%. Therefore i want to upgrade it and figured that maybe a Core i5 11600K would be a good choice, but i dont know if my motherboard would be compatible with that or if my PSU would be able to handle it. The specs that i got now is following

CPU: Intel core i5-7600k (3.80GHz)

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270P-D3

Im playing on 1440p btw, since thats the resolution on my monitor. I kinda always need to put all my settings on medium-low but even having all my settings on the lowest doesnt remove the freezes and stuttering in these games... Im also planning on upgrading my GPU as soon as the damn things is in stock! :D

If anyone who knows alot about computer hardware and gaming would have any tips on what to upgrade and what not i would be so grateful! <3 

12 minutes ago, loxon said:

but i dont know if my motherboard would be compatible with that or if my PSU would be able to handle it. The specs that i got now is following

Your board wont support it, youll need an LGA 1200 motherboard with B560 or Z590 Chipset. And you havent put in the PSU on the listing.

13 minutes ago, loxon said:

Im playing on 1440p btw

Then you would have more gain on upgrading the GPU. Something like RTX 3060Ti should suit you.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

Then you would have more gain on upgrading the GPU. Something like RTX 3060Ti should suit you.

But if I would upgrade my gpu to a 3060ti I would need to upgrade all the other stuff too right? I feel like it’s already my cpu that is holding me back since my FPS is fine and all, it’s just the constant stuttering and freezing that is killing me, and since I see my gpu at 100% all the time I guess that is what’s causing it right? Thanks for reply!

4 hours ago, loxon said:

But if I would upgrade my gpu to a 3060ti I would need to upgrade all the other stuff too right? I feel like it’s already my cpu that is holding me back since my FPS is fine and all, it’s just the constant stuttering and freezing that is killing me, and since I see my gpu at 100% all the time I guess that is what’s causing it right? Thanks for reply!

You wouldn't need to upgrade anything else if you just upgrade the gpu. Just make sure your power supply can handle the upgrade. 

Okay, so what you're saying is that the CPU lying at 100% while playing a game is not the problem that is causing these freezes and stutter issues? Its rather the GPU that is too weak, and upgrading only the GPU will solve the problems? I keep feeling like its the CPU that is the problem since my fps is always fine at around 60-70 even while the game do these short freezes, but yet again i dont know very much about computer hardware so ill take your word for it 😄 

Thank you for the response!