"Upgrading" Mom's PC - Will this be significant at all?

MeesterJackson

It doesn't support any C2Ds or Pentiums?

It was designed for Windows XP which is 32 Bit. (64 Bit version is bug ridden and is not put into consumer electronics and computers)

It says supports Pentium 4. It's the LGA775 socket, maybe the Duo's are backwards compatible with the older tech? 

Ah ok. 

Core 2 Duos are better than Pentiums. Either one will be fine. For your Mom, there will be like a 3% difference when doing normal tasks.

He's saying it will run better with a 32 Bit OS, and that's what you're trying to achieve right? Stop your Mom's PC lag? Then get the 32 Bit vers.

I actually did some more research apparent'y they are better in terms of speed/performance...it can play minecraft on high while the Pentium can't. xD http://www.game-debate.com/cpu/index.php?pid=603&pid2=276&compare=pentium-dual-core-e6700-3-2ghz-vs-core-2-duo-e7500-2-93ghz

99% of the time, it's not the case. I think you're better off buying a used / refurb / possibly new PC for around $125 on ebay. It'll be cheaper than bldg a new one

Or...I could just buy the Pentium even if it's a tad slower. 

The Pentiums listed on ECS are not the Dual Core Pentiums you're talking about. Those are the old, single core Pentium 4s which I would not recommend. 

*bangs head on table* Well, this is quite the pickle I'm in. 

The Pentiums listed on ECS are not the Dual Core Pentiums you're talking about. Those are the old, single core Pentium 4s which I would not recommend. 

I would certainly not recommend them if you are paying for them, and expect the computer to be any faster.

an old XP rig I have with a P4 2.8GHz and 512MB RAM died about a month back, poor thing would struggle with everything.

2600k@4.5GHz ~ H100 ~ Asus P8Z68V-pro gen3 ~ Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600 ~ Sapphire VaporX 7950 ~ Gigabyte DCU 5770 ~ Kingston 128GB HyperX ~ WD black 2TBx2 ~ WD red 4TB ~ Hauppauge HVR2200 ~ Asus BR drive ~ RAT7 ~ Unicomp model-M

Lol yeah it is. How much are you planning to spend? You may be able to pick something up for pretty cheap.

Anything under 200 would probably be where she doesn't complain maybe. 

I would certainly not recommend them if you are paying for them, and expect the computer to be any faster.

an old XP rig I have with a P4 2.8GHz and 512MB RAM died about a month back, poor thing would struggle with everything.

I KNOW THEY DO lol. 

RIP Old XP Rig

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

If you're buying: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-DUAL-CORE-3-4-GHZ-DESKTOP-COMPUTER-PC-4GB-RAM-80GB-HDD-WINDOWS-7-PRO-/330799347156?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item4d052d75d4

If you're building:

CPU:  Intel Celeron G1610 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($39.99 @ TigerDirect) 
Motherboard:  Biostar B75MU3B Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  ($50.18 @ Newegg) 
Memory:  A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($32.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $192.13
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-30 09:19 EDT-0400)

Hmm Alright, thanks I'll ask her about it later. 

Bro just get a ASUS ROG Rampage IV extreme with a i7 3970x. .. and get her the new titan z.. that should run her well enough. ..

And get 64 gig or Corsair Dominator ram too...

Bro just get a ASUS ROG Rampage IV extreme with a i7 3970x. .. and get her the new titan z.. that should run her well enough. ..

And get 64 gig or Corsair Dominator ram too...

Dude you did way too much man. It's funny if you say a part or two that's obviously overkill, but not like half the computer. Plus there was a joke like this similar earlier, so you kinda missed your chance anyways. 

If you're buying: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-DUAL-CORE-3-4-GHZ-DESKTOP-COMPUTER-PC-4GB-RAM-80GB-HDD-WINDOWS-7-PRO-/330799347156?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item4d052d75d4

If you're building:

CPU:  Intel Celeron G1610 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($39.99 @ TigerDirect) 
Motherboard:  Biostar B75MU3B Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  ($50.18 @ Newegg) 
Memory:  A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($32.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $192.13
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-30 09:19 EDT-0400)

SO I asked her...and of course "Mom Logic" she wants to buy a full set (Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Tower) YET SHE KEEPS COMPLAINING ABOUT THE PRICE. *hard facepalm*

I'm saying she didn't like either due to them not coming with all that. 

SO I asked her...and of course "Mom Logic" she wants to buy a full set (Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Tower) YET SHE KEEPS COMPLAINING ABOUT THE PRICE. *hard facepalm*

I'm saying she didn't like either due to them not coming with all that. 

ehh??? What's wrong with the mouse and keyboard she's using? lol

Although not quite as bad as my grandma. She only uses her laptop for emailing friends and family overseas and reading foreign news sites, and she gos ahead and buys a second laptop so she can keep some files separate... then it sits under her bed unused. We're like, "what? just put them in a different folder?" but she's strange like that :P

2600k@4.5GHz ~ H100 ~ Asus P8Z68V-pro gen3 ~ Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600 ~ Sapphire VaporX 7950 ~ Gigabyte DCU 5770 ~ Kingston 128GB HyperX ~ WD black 2TBx2 ~ WD red 4TB ~ Hauppauge HVR2200 ~ Asus BR drive ~ RAT7 ~ Unicomp model-M