"Upgrading" Mom's PC - Will this be significant at all?

MeesterJackson

OK. So, Mom has an old Acer PC http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ASA80-U-C4604-R

It's got an Intel Celeron D 346 inside of it with 512MB of DDR SDRAM. 

She doesn't want me to build/buy a completely new computer as she doesn't have the money for it. 

So as a cheaper alternative, would putting 2GB of DDR SDRAM, an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66Ghz Dual Core CPU, and putting Windows 7 on it make it faster by a good amount? 

Because as of right now, her PC takes like over 2 minutes to turn on and FOREVER to do pretty much anything. (By forever I mean roughly 1+ minute every time she clicks on something). 

Get a cheap dualcore upgradeset a core 2 duo won't work on ddr 1 ram 

Those upgrades would be good, they're be great if you just kept XP on it. I'm sure she has no reason to have a newer OS.
You could try backing up what is on it and reinstalling what she needs. A fresh install should make a decent improvement too

2600k@4.5GHz ~ H100 ~ Asus P8Z68V-pro gen3 ~ Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600 ~ Sapphire VaporX 7950 ~ Gigabyte DCU 5770 ~ Kingston 128GB HyperX ~ WD black 2TBx2 ~ WD red 4TB ~ Hauppauge HVR2200 ~ Asus BR drive ~ RAT7 ~ Unicomp model-M

A cheap E7500 would be nice, 2gb for a 'Mom' pc is sufficient.. i mean 'Mom' doesnt game on 4k does she? FarmVille on 4k... -lol

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Those upgrades would be good, they're be great if you just kept XP on it. I'm sure she has no reason to have a newer OS.

You could try backing up what is on it and reinstalling what she needs. A fresh install should make a decent improvement too

XP is being dropped by Microsoft soon. 

Hi, Meester Jackson,

The Upgrades you have suggested on the budget you are on will certainly make a difference, Given the coming drop in support for XP i agree that windows 7 is a good upgrade, however just make sure to only put a 32 bit version of windows 7 to maximise the performance you can get. As for the speed, yes, an SSD will make it faster, would i personally stick an SSD in a rig like this? No. It would be wasted performance as everything else should provide a noticeable boost, remember this isnt meant to be the top of the range speed machine LOL. 

Yours

Sir DrowHunter

Freelancing Since 2012

Hi, Meester Jackson,

The Upgrades you have suggested on the budget you are on will certainly make a difference, Given the coming drop in support for XP i agree that windows 7 is a good upgrade, however just make sure to only put a 32 bit version of windows 7 to maximise the performance you can get. As for the speed, yes, an SSD will make it faster, would i personally stick an SSD in a rig like this? No. It would be wasted performance as everything else should provide a noticeable boost, remember this isnt meant to be the top of the range speed machine LOL. 

Yours

Sir DrowHunter

Why only 32bit? 

Get a cheap dualcore upgradeset a core 2 duo won't work on ddr 1 ram 

That's why I'm buying two sticks of 1GB read the post. 

That's why I'm buying two sticks of 1GB read the post. 

I've read that but i mean the type of memory won't work not the amount of gb

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Hi Meester Jackson,

A 32 bit OS will be designed to run on a slower pc, and is only able to use up to 3.5GB of RAM, im not sure of the ins and outs of it personally (Google will tell you more) but speaking from experience, running a 64 bit OS on a slow machine takes it to a snails pace.

Yours,

Sir DrowHunter

(Killed an old Acer Laptop with 1GB of ram by running a 64bit OS....Ooops)

Freelancing Since 2012

I've read that but i mean the type of memory won't work not the amount of gb

The type of memory is correct that's what the motherboard and socket support. 

XP is being dropped by Microsoft soon. 

I doubt it'll make much difference for Mom haha

Hi Meester Jackson,

A 32 bit OS will be designed to run on a slower pc, and is only able to use up to 3.5GB of RAM, im not sure of the ins and outs of it personally (Google will tell you more) but speaking from experience, running a 64 bit OS on a slow machine takes it to a snails pace.

Yours,

Sir DrowHunter

(Killed an old Acer Laptop with 1GB of ram by running a 64bit OS....Ooops)

a 32bit OS is made to run on a 32bit processor, and a 64bit made for 64bit processor. Thing is 32bit processors just happen to be slow :P

2600k@4.5GHz ~ H100 ~ Asus P8Z68V-pro gen3 ~ Kingston HyperX 16GB 1600 ~ Sapphire VaporX 7950 ~ Gigabyte DCU 5770 ~ Kingston 128GB HyperX ~ WD black 2TBx2 ~ WD red 4TB ~ Hauppauge HVR2200 ~ Asus BR drive ~ RAT7 ~ Unicomp model-M

I doubt it'll make much difference for Mom haha

a 32bit OS is made to run on a 32bit processor, and a 64bit made for 64bit processor. Thing is 32bit processors just happen to be slow :P

Uhh it does to me as the OS isn't protected then. 

Ok...so the other guys are still correct as the machine is a slower machine. I knew this already, your point? 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler:  Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 GT Rev. 2 28.6 CFM CPU Cooler  ($11.97 @ OutletPC) 
Memory:  Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800 Memory  ($24.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage:  Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($64.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $125.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-30 08:25 EDT-0400)

I have no clue if the SSD is compatible, though. If it is, definitely go for it. 

I don't think the cooler would fit. She doesn't need it anyways. The SSD also isn't needed, and the RAM isn't even supported with the motherboard. 

Core 2 Duos are better than Pentiums. 

He's saying it will run better with a 32 Bit OS, and that's what you're trying to achieve right? Stop your Mom's PC lag? Then get the 32 Bit vers.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-E6700-vs-Intel-Core2-Duo-E6550 Once again, not what the benchmarks show. I'm sure the extra L2 cache is nice, but it won't make that much of a different most likely. 

I looked at benchmarks and it says the 6700 is better. http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-E6700-vs-Intel-Core2-Duo-E7500

http://www.game-debate.com/cpu/index.php?pid=276&pid2=8&compare=core-2-duo-e7500-2-93ghz-vs-core-2-duo-e6700-2-66ghz    :P and trust me ive had e6700 its a... 30 to 40 percent better when i upgrade to e7500

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

Uhh it does to me as the OS isn't protected then. 

Ok...so the other guys are still correct as the machine is a slower machine. I knew this already, your point? 

It's just not patched, it's been around for so long that I doubt much will have changed in the last few years anyway. Plus as long as you have anti-virus software, and she knows not to click on the 1,000,000th visitor things then it's all sweet :)

I was just saying, if the upgrade did happen to be 64bit, run 64bit on it. But I highly doubt it will be a 64bit chip.

What motherboard is it? And if you are getting an OEM processor, you need a new CPU cooler. SSD can be thrown out. 

Could he not use the same stock cooler with new thermal paste if he isn't changing the motherboard?

It's just not patched, it's been around for so long that I doubt much will have changed in the last few years anyway. Plus as long as you have anti-virus software, and she knows not to click on the 1,000,000th visitor things then it's all sweet :)

I was just saying, if the upgrade did happen to be 64bit, run 64bit on it. But I highly doubt it will be a 64bit chip.

Could he not use the same stock cooler with new thermal paste if he isn't changing the motherboard?

Actually I just looked at the motherboard info it actually does say something about 32bit not being good for it or whatever. http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=509&MenuID=24&LanID=0