Is server hardware needed to run Windows Server 2012, and is Windows Server 2012 required to host Sage Pastel Database?

Good day all,

Is server hardware necessary to run Windows Server 2012?

Can you host Sage Pastel Database on Windows 10, or is Windows Server required?

Thanks

Mogley

2 minutes ago, Mogley1011 said:

Do you need server CPU, motherboard and ram to be able to run Windows Server 2012.

No. I ran WS2012 on a base-model AMD APU at one point.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | a 10G NIC (pending) | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

No, you can run it on normal hardware. 

Something you do need to consider is driver support for certain things. I've had certain Intel NICs that are included on consumer boards that don't have supported drivers for Windows Server. There's ways around it in a lot of cases, but something you'll want to look into. 

59 minutes ago, Mogley1011 said:

Good day all,

Do you need server CPU, motherboard and ram to be able to run Windows Server 2012. Or can you run it on a normal PC?

For example on Ryzen 5 3600?

Thanks

Mogley

Windows Server will just be the basis for how your machine works in other tasks; it won't be highly optimal for gaming, for example.

Edited by Kilrah
Removed multiple thread discussion

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

10 minutes ago, Mogley1011 said:

Good day all,

Do you need server CPU, motherboard and ram to be able to run Windows Server 2012. Or can you run it on a normal PC?

For example on Ryzen 5 3600?

Thanks

Mogley

Short answer: No.

Long answer: You should not be running Windows Server if you need to ask this question.

A proper server will have ECC memory on a platform that officially supports ECC memory. If you are installing software that "requires Windows Server", not just Windows 10, then you should probably be buying the server with the OS preloaded so that you have a stable platform.

If you are just experimenting, or doing something in an educational environment where you are running Windows Server in a VM, then good luck with that. I would not recommend installing Server versions of Windows on desktop platforms, because it's often done to "save money", and that makes it unreliable.

9 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Short answer: No.

Long answer: You should not be running Windows Server if you need to ask this question.

A proper server will have ECC memory on a platform that officially supports ECC memory. If you are installing software that "requires Windows Server", not just Windows 10, then you should probably be buying the server with the OS preloaded so that you have a stable platform.

If you are just experimenting, or doing something in an educational environment where you are running Windows Server in a VM, then good luck with that. I would not recommend installing Server versions of Windows on desktop platforms, because it's often done to "save money", and that makes it unreliable.

The reason for the question is as follows:

We need to upgrade our current server to newer gen hardware as it is now quite old and extremely slow. The reason we need Windows server is for Sage Pastel's Database. From what I can see online it is required for the database, but the client side can be ran on Windows 10 etc.

29 minutes ago, Mogley1011 said:

The reason for the question is as follows:

We need to upgrade our current server to newer gen hardware as it is now quite old and extremely slow. The reason we need Windows server is for Sage Pastel's Database. From what I can see online it is required for the database, but the client side can be ran on Windows 10 etc.

I'd probably just see if it will install on a Windows 10 Desktop. Not many programs explicitly require Windows Server unless they are built on a Microsoft service/framework.

Like if it requires IIS, then you can technically run it on top of Windows 10 if you install IIS first on it (which is a component that you can just install.) If Sage is the only thing being run on the server (eg it's not your file and print server), you can probably just see if it will install. If it requires integration with Microsoft Outlook, or other Active Directory services, then it will likely be unavoidable.

2 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I'd probably just see if it will install on a Windows 10 Desktop. Not many programs explicitly require Windows Server unless they are built on a Microsoft service/framework.

Like if it requires IIS, then you can technically run it on top of Windows 10 if you install IIS first on it (which is a component that you can just install.) If Sage is the only thing being run on the server (eg it's not your file and print server), you can probably just see if it will install. If it requires integration with Microsoft Outlook, or other Active Directory services, then it will likely be unavoidable.

This is from the Sage Page

photo_2021-05-04_18-16-06.jpg

8 minutes ago, Mogley1011 said:

This is from the Sage Page

photo_2021-05-04_18-16-06.jpg

Yeah, I'd probably just check if it will install first before making any investments there. IIS 10 can be installed on Windows 10. Sometimes the requirement for "Windows Server" just means "a server running windows", with the assumption that it has high performance network and hard drives, and redundancy. 

4 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Yeah, I'd probably just check if it will install first before making any investments there. IIS 10 can be installed on Windows 10. Sometimes the requirement for "Windows Server" just means "a server running windows", with the assumption that it has high performance network and hard drives, and redundancy. 

Our current server has a Xenon E3 1240 in it, but its super slow.

I think 16GBs Ram, not sure if its ECC or not running at 1600mHz

I dont know the full spec off hand

15 minutes ago, Mogley1011 said:

Our current server has a Xenon E3 1240 in it, but its super slow.

I think 16GBs Ram, not sure if its ECC or not running at 1600mHz

I dont know the full spec off hand

E3's are basically just the desktop platform with ECC memory. Like the CPU's are pretty much the same as i5/i7's of the same generation. So that's equal to anything between an i5-2500k to an i7-4770T. Like an E3 v6 would also be 4 years old right now.