Thoughts on Budget ATX Cases (+ Qs about Cougar MX)

Hi all, sorry for the long(?) first post ahead. First paragraph has context, second is the initial question, and the third has some alternatives I'm considering. 

I'm working towards my first ever PC build after years of using cheap prebuilts (e.g. my 2017 laptop periodically freezes in Photoshop when using ctrl-z and cannot maintain consistent fps in LoL with a 30 fps cap & minimum settings—and that computer was actually a significant upgrade from my previous 2014 prebuilt desktop). Evidently, I picked a pretty bad time to finally upgrade, but I've been binging videos from Linus & other tech youtubers over the past few weeks (wasn't even aware of the GPU shortage prior to last month). I think I have a pretty okay list put together (using a 3400G to avoid GPU pricing) and I've been able to source some functional used parts through a friend, but I'm stuck on the case. For additional context, I'm in Canada, won't be using a GPU until prices normalize in 1-2+ years, and won't be getting a high end GPU even then. I'm a fairly casual user who won't be overclocking, doing heavy workstation tasks, or attempting to play any triple A games (I have a 60 Hz monitor so the less demanding games will cap out at 60 fps too).

I was looking for a budget ATX case in the $40-70 range with shipping/tax, and the most suitable ones in that price seem to be the Cougar MX330 (~$50 + shipping/tax), MX331 (~$55 + shipping/tax), and the MX410 (~$55 + shipping/tax). I don't actually like RGB and don't care about a visible side panel (the PC will be under a desk on hardwood floor) + I prefer to keep the budget as low as possible. I was considering the MX330-X and MX331-X specifically for the lack of side panel before I realized they only have two functional USB slots. Overall, the Cougar MX entries appear to have very similar specs—is there any factor I'm missing aside from MX330 winning in price or MX410 mesh being the only one without a side panel + having 4 USB? I couldn't find all that much about the MX410 compared to the MX330, but I assume the 410 is a more recent model. If I was willing to pay the $5 more, is there any reason not to pick the MX410 over the MX330 or MX331 here? All only come with 1 fan.

However, a friend of mine has a spare Gamdias Talos M1 (which has a few small reviews, but most reviewers were sent the case for free) which they offered for $50. It would come with two fans, but the front of the case isn't a mesh; instead, it has two angular cutouts which allow air (and dust) free access into the case. I might be able to tape some cheap window mesh over the awkwardly long vertical gaps, though I'm wondering if airflow could be affected with a mostly glass front cover. Alternatively, the Fractal Focus G is around $70(without shipping/tax) with two fans and the frequently praised P300A with 1 fan is $80 (without shipping/tax) which is higher than I would prefer. I think I can get away with 1 fan until I get a GPU, so the 1 fan isn't a problem at the moment.

Any thoughts or recommendations? This range seems to be a bit under what is commonly referred to as "budget" by most tech youtubers, so it's a bit rough information-wise (could also be my inexperience).

Apologies again for the long thread and all the questions spread throughout. If I'm not too clear or it's disorganized, I can restate them at the end in a TL;DR as well.

I'm not sure where you are buying from, but I usually stick with $50 cases myself. Deepcool Matrexx 55 is the one I like that has 3 USB ports, but only 1 of them is USB 3. The case does come with 1 fan but performs too weak for my use.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/b9tKHx/deepcool-matrexx-55-mesh-atx-mid-tower-case-dp-atx-matrexx55-mesh

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

1 minute ago, alyen said:

I'm not sure where you are buying from, but I usually stick with $50 cases myself. Deepcool Matrexx 55 is the one I like that has 3 USB ports, but only 1 of them is USB 3. The case does come with 1 fan but performs too weak for my use.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/b9tKHx/deepcool-matrexx-55-mesh-atx-mid-tower-case-dp-atx-matrexx55-mesh

I'm using PcPartPicker + checking CC, Newegg, & Amazon (some of the Cougar ones are $50-55 on CC but aren't listed properly on PcPartPicker for some reason). Oddly enough, the CC page for the Deepcool Matrexx 55 Mesh says it comes with no preinstalled fans under the specifications tab. Odd. Did you buy yours from CC as well?

Sorry it does say no fans preinstalled. I bought mine back in December 2019 so I must have remembered it wrong.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

23 minutes ago, alyen said:

Sorry it does say no fans preinstalled. I bought mine back in December 2019 so I must have remembered it wrong.

Maybe CC decided they wanted to take the fan & charge separately for it? I can't say I know much about any of these companies (have never bought from any before), but it sounds right about in line with that headline from the other week about how they were hoarding GPUs for shoddily made prebuilts.

If this is your first build look at what you can get from your front IO

I would recommend to get something with a USB-C plug, and at least USB 2.0 with audio I/O (sometimes headphone cables don't reach from behind)

This will give you future proof as your cases will outlast your new build, and be something you continue to use over time.

I know, and love my mATX Cases and have spent AUD $70 on a Node 202 (with shipping from USA) - but if you want something that's not going to be tight, and accommodate anything you can get for a good price from the local e/relater then a proper ATX Case would be a good investment.

10 hours ago, amckern said:

If this is your first build look at what you can get from your front IO

I would recommend to get something with a USB-C plug, and at least USB 2.0 with audio I/O (sometimes headphone cables don't reach from behind)

This will give you future proof as your cases will outlast your new build, and be something you continue to use over time.

I know, and love my mATX Cases and have spent AUD $70 on a Node 202 (with shipping from USA) - but if you want something that's not going to be tight, and accommodate anything you can get for a good price from the local e/relater then a proper ATX Case would be a good investment.

All Cougar MX cases above have 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0. The Gamdias Talos M1 offers the same, while the Fractal Focus G only has 1 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0. The p300a has 2 USB 3.0. All are ATX and have headphone/microphone front I/O. I'm currently leaning towards the MX410 at the moment but not sure—it would still be ~$15 more than the used Talos M1, albeit without the dust or DIY mesh headache.

I don't actually have anything with a USB-C to USB-C cable & I don't buy much of anything so I think I'd be okay without it for the next few years (don't think the mobo I got has a connector for it either).

14 hours ago, abcdonetwotree said:

Hi all, sorry for the long(?) first post ahead. First paragraph has context, second is the initial question, and the third has some alternatives I'm considering. 

I'm working towards my first ever PC build after years of using cheap prebuilts (e.g. my 2017 laptop periodically freezes in Photoshop when using ctrl-z and cannot maintain consistent fps in LoL with a 30 fps cap & minimum settings—and that computer was actually a significant upgrade from my previous 2014 prebuilt desktop). Evidently, I picked a pretty bad time to finally upgrade, but I've been binging videos from Linus & other tech youtubers over the past few weeks (wasn't even aware of the GPU shortage prior to last month). I think I have a pretty okay list put together (using a 3400G to avoid GPU pricing) and I've been able to source some functional used parts through a friend, but I'm stuck on the case. For additional context, I'm in Canada, won't be using a GPU until prices normalize in 1-2+ years, and won't be getting a high end GPU even then. I'm a fairly casual user who won't be overclocking, doing heavy workstation tasks, or attempting to play any triple A games (I have a 60 Hz monitor so the less demanding games will cap out at 60 fps too).

I was looking for a budget ATX case in the $40-70 range with shipping/tax, and the most suitable ones in that price seem to be the Cougar MX330 (~$50 + shipping/tax), MX331 (~$55 + shipping/tax), and the MX410 (~$55 + shipping/tax). I don't actually like RGB and don't care about a visible side panel (the PC will be under a desk on hardwood floor) + I prefer to keep the budget as low as possible. I was considering the MX330-X and MX331-X specifically for the lack of side panel before I realized they only have two functional USB slots. Overall, the Cougar MX entries appear to have very similar specs—is there any factor I'm missing aside from MX330 winning in price or MX410 mesh being the only one without a side panel + having 4 USB? I couldn't find all that much about the MX410 compared to the MX330, but I assume the 410 is a more recent model. If I was willing to pay the $5 more, is there any reason not to pick the MX410 over the MX330 or MX331 here? All only come with 1 fan.

However, a friend of mine has a spare Gamdias Talos M1 (which has a few small reviews, but most reviewers were sent the case for free) which they offered for $50. It would come with two fans, but the front of the case isn't a mesh; instead, it has two angular cutouts which allow air (and dust) free access into the case. I might be able to tape some cheap window mesh over the awkwardly long vertical gaps, though I'm wondering if airflow could be affected with a mostly glass front cover. Alternatively, the Fractal Focus G is around $70(without shipping/tax) with two fans and the frequently praised P300A with 1 fan is $80 (without shipping/tax) which is higher than I would prefer. I think I can get away with 1 fan until I get a GPU, so the 1 fan isn't a problem at the moment.

Any thoughts or recommendations? This range seems to be a bit under what is commonly referred to as "budget" by most tech youtubers, so it's a bit rough information-wise (could also be my inexperience).

Apologies again for the long thread and all the questions spread throughout. If I'm not too clear or it's disorganized, I can restate them at the end in a TL;DR as well.

MX330-X and MX331-X are slim case so cpu cooler height might be a problem and can only mount 120mm fans. but if you can find it cheap its hard to beat.

heres a list i did from cheap to about $150ish range and all should have mesh front or some cooling

Antec GX202 2whight led fans
Cougar MX330-X no window slim 120mm fans only low cpu cooler hight
Cougar MX330 acrlic window slim 120mm fans only low cpu cooler hight
Cougar MX330-G temperd glass slim 120mm fans only low cpu cooler hight
Fractal Design Focus G 2whight led fans black,whight,blue, red
RAIJINTEK PONOS MS (1fan,Side mout)
Cougar MX331 MESH-G 1rgb fan slim 120mm fans only low cpu cooler hight
Rosewill PRISM S (botem intake side mout psu top)
Rosewill SPECTRA D100 (4rgb fans)
Silverstone FARA R1 (1 fan)
Antec NX800 (front 2x200mm fans)
In Win 101 (bottem intake, side mount top psu)
Thermaltake Versa C21
Phanteks Eclipse P360A (2argb fans)
Fractal Design Meshify C (2fans white,black)
Rosewill PRISM S500 (bottem intake, side mount top psu)
Rosewill PRISM S LITE (bottem intake, side mount top psu)
Phanteks Eclipse P400A (2fans)
Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital (3rgbfans, black,white)
Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 ARGB (3argb fans)
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB (3 rgb fans)
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 ARGB(3 argb fans)
DIYPC Vanguard-V6-RGB (3rgb fans)
Thermaltake Core G21 Tempered Glass (1fan)
Antec P120 Crystal (bottem intake,side mout, top psu)
Lian Li LANCOOL II-X (3fans, halfglass, basment)
Silverstone RL06
Cooler Master MasterCase H500 (2x rgb 200mm fans)
Corsair 4000D Airflow (2fans)
Thermaltake Versa J24 ARGB (3argb fans)
Rosewill RISE Glow (psu top or bottem,2x5.25 bay)
Metallic Gear NEO Qube (011 rip off)

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

13 hours ago, abcdonetwotree said:

Maybe CC decided they wanted to take the fan & charge separately for it? I can't say I know much about any of these companies (have never bought from any before), but it sounds right about in line with that headline from the other week about how they were hoarding GPUs for shoddily made prebuilts.

Hello,

The Matrexx 55 Mesh has two models: one that comes with ARGB fans, and one that does not(for those people who want to use their own choice of fans). I believe the model that Canada Computers carries is the one that does not have fans included. Amazon.ca does carry the model that comes with 4 ARGB fans; if you are interested in that model, the link is below.

https://www.amazon.ca/DEEP-COOL-Supported-Included-Compartment/dp/B087WKYDB1

DeepCool Support

21 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

MX330-X and MX331-X are slim case so cpu cooler height might be a problem and can only mount 120mm fans. but if you can find it cheap its hard to beat.

heres a list i did from cheap to about $150ish range and all should have mesh front or some cooling

Thanks for the substantial list, I'll have to give some of those a look. I didn't think too much about the dimensions for the cpu cooler, as I was going to stick with the stock Wraith Spire, but that's a good thing to consider for potential future reuse.

22 hours ago, DeepCool zer0 said:

Hello,

The Matrexx 55 Mesh has two models: one that comes with ARGB fans, and one that does not(for those people who want to use their own choice of fans). I believe the model that Canada Computers carries is the one that does not have fans included. Amazon.ca does carry the model that comes with 4 ARGB fans; if you are interested in that model, the link is below.

https://www.amazon.ca/DEEP-COOL-Supported-Included-Compartment/dp/B087WKYDB1

DeepCool Support

Wow, I wasn't expecting a post from someone actually affiliated with the company. Thanks for the clarification, though unfortunately the model with 4 fans bats well above my budget.

3 hours ago, abcdonetwotree said:

Thanks for the substantial list, I'll have to give some of those a look. I didn't think too much about the dimensions for the cpu cooler, as I was going to stick with the stock Wraith Spire, but that's a good thing to consider for potential future reuse.

Wow, I wasn't expecting a post from someone actually affiliated with the company. Thanks for the clarification, though unfortunately the model with 4 fans bats well above my budget.

That is understandable. That does leave the version without the fans as an option, and you can always add fans of your choice later to maximize airflow. Which ever way you decide to go, good luck with your build!

DeepCool Support