2 Boot drives and M.2 placement x570 board

MajorFoley

So due to my current drive having issues with BSOD's I plan on doing a fresh install. I also plan on getting a 2nd NVME drive for my ASUS x570 prime pro board

According to its manual  (here https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X570-PRO/E17432_PRIME_X570-PRO_UM_v3_web.pdf)it can support both drives at NVME speeds which is nice but I'm not sure which slot I should keep my OS drive on. The one closest to CPU or the one closer to the fan heatsink. Haven't decided if im going to get another Gen 3 or Gen 4 yet. At 1TB its an extra 60-70 bucks AUD. to get Gen 4

Another thing is I don't plan on immediately wiping this drive so when i put into windows on the new drive will this drive still be detected or will it be hidden because it has a windows installation on it? I would think the former right? It's just i havent had 2 boot drives since Windows 7 and i don't really remember how it went back then. How will the drive letters be assigned?

Thanks 🙂

7 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

Another thing is I don't plan on immediately wiping this drive so when i put into windows on the new drive will this drive still be detected or will it be hidden because it has a windows installation on it? 

I don't think that is a good idea. Windows 10 doesn't play nice with other Windows 10 boot drives. The old one should still be detected, but I don't know if you can do anything with it  unless you shrink the windows partitions because your old installation will likely claim all the space the drive.

12 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

How will the drive letters be assigned?

I don't know what letter it will be assigned. I would assume probably the next available one after "C".

17 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

So due to my current drive having issues with BSOD's I plan on doing a fresh install. I also plan on getting a 2nd NVME drive for my ASUS x570 prime pro board

According to its manual  (here https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X570-PRO/E17432_PRIME_X570-PRO_UM_v3_web.pdf)it can support both drives at NVME speeds which is nice but I'm not sure which slot I should keep my OS drive on. The one closest to CPU or the one closer to the fan heatsink. Haven't decided if im going to get another Gen 3 or Gen 4 yet. At 1TB its an extra 60-70 bucks AUD. to get Gen 4

Another thing is I don't plan on immediately wiping this drive so when i put into windows on the new drive will this drive still be detected or will it be hidden because it has a windows installation on it? I would think the former right? It's just i havent had 2 boot drives since Windows 7 and i don't really remember how it went back then. How will the drive letters be assigned?

Thanks 🙂

If you have two Win10 boot drive, the one assigned top in the priority list will activate, the other one will show as a burned drive with win10 iso.
For the slot placement, it doesn't matter actually. It's up to you. If you'd game off those ssd, i'd keep it closer to the chipset for now, and swap it to the closer one to cpu when directstorage makes it's way into pc

15 minutes ago, OrangeSunshine said:

I don't think that is a good idea. Windows 10 doesn't play nice with other Windows 10 boot drives. The old one should still be detected, but I don't know if you can do anything with it  unless you shrink the windows partitions because your old installation will likely claim all the space the drive.

I don't know what letter it will be assigned. I would assume probably the next available one after "C".

Makes sense i guess. Reason i wanted it this way was so i could go into it and copy files from it to my new drive. Guess it might be better just copying it to an external or make an image of it...

9 minutes ago, S.Hamed23 said:

If you have two Win10 boot drive, the one assigned top in the priority list will activate, the other one will show as a burned drive with win10 iso.
For the slot placement, it doesn't matter actually. It's up to you. If you'd game off those ssd, i'd keep it closer to the chipset for now, and swap it to the closer one to cpu when directstorage makes it's way into pc

I do plan to have a few games on it. Pretty sure right now my NVME is at the chipset and not the cpu so its currently in socket m.2 2_2. I think a SSD with a heastink should fit with a 3070 there. but thats if i gen gen 4. Im honestly considering just going for another 970 Evo. Samsung SSD's havent let me down yet.

Just now, MajorFoley said:

Makes sense i guess

I do plan to have a few games on it. Pretty sure right now my NVME is at the chipset and not the cpu so its currently in socket m.2 2_2. I think a SSD with a heastink should fit with a 3070 there. but thats if i gen gen 4. Im honestly considering just going for another 970 Evo. Samsung SSD's havent let me down yet.

samsung chips are the best in class. go for it.
Gen 3 or 4, doesn't matter. Get one

24 minutes ago, S.Hamed23 said:

samsung chips are the best in class. go for it.
Gen 3 or 4, doesn't matter. Get one

Hmm so it would be 2 NVME SSDs, 1 SATA SSD and 2 SATA HDDS along with a 3070, and a capture card. Very full computer lol. Thanks guys i might play it safe with the older windows install being in there and just copy files onto an external before wiping it clean for storage, which I guess ill just do via windows install before installing it on the 1TB.