bought a better router but dont know how to set it up

Damien19721508

I bought an Asus 1500UHP but then the ISP guy said I couldn't use it, I noticed the router they installed had a port for the fiber cable but the Asus UHP doesn't it only has rj45 ports but previously I had used it hooked up to a second router/modem not sure what is was. So is there a way I can use it with my current router like piggy back it and allow my better router to provide network. The reason is I'm using a quest 2 wirelessy to play pcvr games so I'd like to haver the better router providing the network and therefore have a better network.

What I'd advise is returning the Asus router and buying a dedicated access point. 

It sounds like what you want is just the WiFi part of the router, which is what an access point is used for. You'll get better results using a dedicated access point at the same price point as the Asus router as it doesn't have a load of other features that you won't use and it's much more simple to setup as you don't have to mess with DHCP and routing settings like you'll need to when running two routers. 

My personal preference would be a Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro or AC Lite.

4 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

What I'd advise is returning the Asus router and buying a dedicated access point. 

It sounds like what you want is just the WiFi part of the router, which is what an access point is used for. You'll get better results using a dedicated access point at the same price point as the Asus router as it doesn't have a load of other features that you won't use and it's much more simple to setup as you don't have to mess with DHCP and routing settings like you'll need to when running two routers. 

My personal preference would be a Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro or AC Lite.

I saddly cannot return the router as I bought it over a year ago, but I recently moved and my new ISP technician put in a generic router. So I Was wondering how can I connect my nicer one up and enjoy the benefits I paid for already.

1 minute ago, Damien19721508 said:

I saddly cannot return the router as I bought it over a year ago, but I recently moved and my new ISP technician put in a generic router. So I Was wondering how can I connect my nicer one up and enjoy the benefits I paid for already.

Would need to know what model of router they've put in as it might be more than a router and act as a modem or media converter too, in which case the router you've bought cannot replace it and would have to just function as an access point. 

Assuming the router cannot replace the current one (which I think so, considering how you said it takes a different connection from the line in), you'd need to connect to the new router and access it's admin page, then set the mode to wireless access point operation. Once that's done, you'd need to connect it to your existing router via a LAN port (not a WAN port). 

If the router doesn't have an access point mode, you'd need to disable the DHCP functionality of the new router, then likely assign it a static IP outside of the existing router's DHCP range but on the same subnet. Though my advice if the new router doesn't have an access point mode would be to buy a dedicated access point as having multiple routers on the network can cause issues, especially with consumer routers that often don't let you configure them completely as needed. 

@Damien19721508 @Oshino Shinobu

The RT-AC1500UHP can be converted to AP mode. Turn to page 65 of the manual.

More than likely, you won’t be able to change the device that first interfaces with the physical fiber connection, at least not in residential internet plans. That’s because these units are basically media converts (fiber to ethernet) which are configured specifically to work on your ISP’s network. Some ISPs supply you with a basic ONT (optical network terminal) while others provide a gateway (combo ONT, router, switch, AP).

If you want to use your own wireless router (for routing and AP), you’ll need to convert the fiber device to bridge mode. How to do this and if this is even possible varies from one device to the other; it essentially instructs the fiber device to just be a media converter (equivalent to a modem) and hand off NAT/routing/AP to another device that you connect to it. You’ll need to ask your ISP on what should be done specifically.

so what you guys are saying is there is no easy solution and I am SOL xD basically im stuck with this laggy wifi experience

On 4/30/2021 at 5:46 AM, Damien19721508 said:

so what you guys are saying is there is no easy solution and I am SOL xD basically im stuck with this laggy wifi experience

As @Falcon1986stated, you turn your better router in to a AP. As far as getting a router with a Fiber port or converting the ISP's Fiber to Ethernet thats not going to happen. You have to use what the ISP gave you. There are no consumer grade ONT's that you can buy, its just how it is. At least you have Fiber, most people have to deal with less. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.