Recommendations on a PSU?? prefer 1000w or should i go for 1200w

Adrian007
26 minutes ago, boghubodaghi said:

Have you tested this out? I've seen thermal IR photos in Aris' reviews and it seems to run at similar or cooler temperatures than Seasonic's stock heatsinks. Is there a better way to judge, though?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-prime-ultra-titanium-1000w-psu,5510-7.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-rog-thor-1200w-psu,5984-3.html

Two years? You sure? Are they that bad? It's weird seeing ASUS guaranteeing 3 years warranty on it. Maybe it's better than no OLEDs at all though 😄.

But it's true, I'd take the HX any day over the Thor.

Yes.  I have one.  Yes, the thermal report is worse if you use thermal probes on the critical components.

Even in Aris's review, it's relative.  It's relatively low because of high efficiency, but there are components that are worse because of shitty airflow.

Yes.  We looked at using the same Futaba OLED on the next gen AXi, but Futaba claimed only two year life.  My guess is Asus is guaranteeing for 3 years because they don't expect most users to have it on 24/7.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yes.  I have one.  Yes, the thermal report is worse if you use thermal probes on the critical components.

Yes.  We looked at using the same Futaba OLED on the next gen AXi, but Futaba claimed only two year life.  My guess is Asus is guaranteeing for 3 years because they don't expect most users to have it on 24/7.

so no issues with the one i purchased right ? you guys are talking about other brands and models correct ??

2nd Build: AMD 5900x / GeForce RTX™ 3090 GAMING X TRIO 24G MSI / AORUS FI27Q-X 27" 240Hz/ G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C14D-32GTRS / ASUS Republic of Gamers Crosshair VIII Formula AM4 ATX Motherboard / CORSAIR RMx White Series RM850x White (CP-9020188-NA) 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified / Samsung 2TB 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 Internal SSD/  / 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX PC Case / Hydro X Series XC7 RGB CPU Water Block (1200/AM4) — WhiteHydro X Series XD5 RGB Pump/Reservoir Combo — White / iCUE QL120 RGB 120mm PWM White Fan — Triple Fan Kit with Lighting Node CORE  x 2 / Hydro X Series XR5 360mm Water Cooling Radiator x 2

35 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Even in Aris's review, it's relative.  It's relatively low because of high efficiency, but there are components that are worse because of shitty airflow.

FYI Aris takes the IR shots without the fan and the PSU loaded up to 50%, so in both cases the airflow should be the same.

Talking about the heatsinks did you use a thermo probes on the FETs that are stuck to their respective heatsinks, and compared the Platinum version (not the titanium) to Thor's Platinum? Just wanted to make sure. Because Aris likes these heatsinks for some reason and it seems weird that you two are having two different results. Or are you trying to say that it is hard to judge the heatsinks because there're a lot of uncontrollable variables? 

And maybe Futaba was claiming 2 years of constant usage?

33 minutes ago, Adrian007 said:

so no issues with the one i purchased right ? you guys are talking about other brands and models correct ??

We're talking about the Thor, not the HXi.

24 minutes ago, boghubodaghi said:

FYI Aris takes the IR shots without the fan and the PSU loaded up to 50%, so in both cases the airflow should be the same.

Talking about the heatsinks did you use a thermo probes on the FETs that are stuck to their respective heatsinks, and compared the Platinum version (not the titanium) to Thor's Platinum? Just wanted to make sure. Because Aris likes these heatsinks for some reason and it seems weird that you two are having two different results. Or are you trying to say that it is hard to judge the heatsinks because there're a lot of uncontrollable variables? 

We're talking about the Thor, not the HXi.

ok just wanted to confirm , thanks bud hope all is well

2nd Build: AMD 5900x / GeForce RTX™ 3090 GAMING X TRIO 24G MSI / AORUS FI27Q-X 27" 240Hz/ G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C14D-32GTRS / ASUS Republic of Gamers Crosshair VIII Formula AM4 ATX Motherboard / CORSAIR RMx White Series RM850x White (CP-9020188-NA) 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified / Samsung 2TB 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 Internal SSD/  / 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX PC Case / Hydro X Series XC7 RGB CPU Water Block (1200/AM4) — WhiteHydro X Series XD5 RGB Pump/Reservoir Combo — White / iCUE QL120 RGB 120mm PWM White Fan — Triple Fan Kit with Lighting Node CORE  x 2 / Hydro X Series XR5 360mm Water Cooling Radiator x 2

37 minutes ago, boghubodaghi said:

I mean a proper thermal test report where you put 38 tp 40 probes on various components within the PSU, with the fan and top cover installed, full load in a 40°C thermal chamber with 90V mains.  The way Aris does it is NOT how you do thermal testing.

37 minutes ago, boghubodaghi said:

That's what I said....

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

My guess is Asus is guaranteeing for 3 years because they don't expect most users to have it on 24/7.

• 2 months later...
On 4/29/2021 at 7:36 PM, jonnyGURU said:

I mean a proper thermal test report where you put 38 tp 40 probes on various components within the PSU, with the fan and top cover installed, full load in a 40°C thermal chamber with 90V mains.  The way Aris does it is NOT how you do thermal testing.

Would you consider the ROG Thor and Strix to be dangerously bad because of those heatsinks?

Like, if someone was to be given an ROG Thor (1200W) or Strix (1000W) for free, would it be a bad idea to use it with a high end PC?
Is the thing at risk of blowing up because of terrible thermals, or is it just going to be particularly loud (fan spinning up to compensate)?

1 hour ago, electropical said:

Would you consider the ROG Thor and Strix to be dangerously bad because of those heatsinks?

Like, if someone was to be given an ROG Thor (1200W) or Strix (1000W) for free, would it be a bad idea to use it with a high end PC?
Is the thing at risk of blowing up because of terrible thermals, or is it just going to be particularly loud (fan spinning up to compensate)?

Yes.

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yes.

Thanks!

Does ASUS have a PSU R&D team?

Kinda weird that they went out of their way to make such changes only to end up breaking Seasonic's original designs.

Do you think Seasonic is aware of the problem and will just do whatever the client is asking for, or are they oblivious to it? (do they test thermals like you do?)

31 minutes ago, electropical said:

Does ASUS have a PSU R&D team?

No.

They used to when they were part of Pegatron, but now that they're a separate company, they do not.