Want to attempt a custom loop for my next PC: Some questions

What do I need other than radiators, water block, distribution plate, fittings, coolant, reservor? Is a monoblock necessary?

Is it okay to mix and match different brands? Like alphacool radiators and corsair gpu block?

Are tubes from all brands the same diameter?

What is better aluminum or copper?

Mixing and matching is totally fine just DO NOT MIX METALS.

Diameters are standardized so just get the right ones.

You are really over complicating your loop with a plate tho. All you really need is pump, reservoir, rad, block and fittings. Coolant distilled water does just fine do avoid opaque liquids if you don't want to clean your loop a lot.

Mixing metals is just fine, if you follow the science (I only own mixed metal loops, fun fact AIO's are 99% of the time aluminum rad, copper block and use the correct #science to stop corrosion).  If you dont research you shouldnt mix metals

Not all tubing is the same, and not all liquids are the same.  Do your research on PET, PETG, etc its been a while for me but I go uber cheap on my custom loops so I cant remember the details

Mixing and matching anything is okay, if you know what you are mixing and matching (and the science behind what you need to do to be able to mix/match or not)

Tubing is ID/OD based, depending on the fitting (pagoda/barb, compression, etc) will depend on the size of tube you need.

Aluminum is far cheaper, but does have a lower heat transfer capability.

You need:

Pump

Blocks

Tubing

Radiators

Fittings (unless you get blocks and rads and pump already with them preinstalled)

The rest is extras if you want them

Also me - I will never do another custom loop again, because they are to high maintenance for me in terms of TIME I have available to do any maintenance.  Love my loops, hate having to dedicate as much time as I do to cleaning them and maintaining them (which isnt often tbh) but it is what it is.  Ill be switching back to AIO/air for future builds (have already started that trend in 2021 lol)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Monoblock is only necessary if you want to also cool your vrm and happens that there's company let's say ek make a monoblock for the specific model of motherboard you own,

Also don't quote me on this but, I don't think you need reservoir if you already have a distribution block...

Also i only know some distribution block for a some type of case mainly lian li dynamic pc-o11

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

Doing a custom loop? Full copper waterblock. It'll be totally worth the money. 

Pump to CPU/GPU, the rest doesn't matter. 

Over-kill radiator surface area is great for keeping fan rpm and noise low.

Good Luck!

10 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Mixing metals is just fine, if you follow the science (I only own mixed metal loops, fun fact AIO's are 99% of the time aluminum rad, copper block and use the correct #science to stop corrosion).  If you dont research you shouldnt mix metals

Not all tubing is the same, and not all liquids are the same.  Do your research on PET, PETG, etc its been a while for me but I go uber cheap on my custom loops so I cant remember the details

Mixing and matching anything is okay, if you know what you are mixing and matching (and the science behind what you need to do to be able to mix/match or not)

Tubing is ID/OD based, depending on the fitting (pagoda/barb, compression, etc) will depend on the size of tube you need.

Aluminum is far cheaper, but does have a lower heat transfer capability.

You need:

Pump

Blocks

Tubing

Radiators

Fittings (unless you get blocks and rads and pump already with them preinstalled)

The rest is extras if you want them

Also me - I will never do another custom loop again, because they are to high maintenance for me in terms of TIME I have available to do any maintenance.  Love my loops, hate having to dedicate as much time as I do to cleaning them and maintaining them (which isnt often tbh) but it is what it is.  Ill be switching back to AIO/air for future builds (have already started that trend in 2021 lol)

How often do you have to clean the loop

10 hours ago, jaslion said:

Mixing and matching is totally fine just DO NOT MIX METALS.

Diameters are standardized so just get the right ones.

You are really over complicating your loop with a plate tho. All you really need is pump, reservoir, rad, block and fittings. Coolant distilled water does just fine do avoid opaque liquids if you don't want to clean your loop a lot.

Okay if I decide to do it I'll just skip the plate 

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Doing a custom loop? Full copper waterblock. It'll be totally worth the money. 

Pump to CPU/GPU, the rest doesn't matter. 

Over-kill radiator surface area is great for keeping fan rpm and noise low.

Good Luck!

Thanks 

10 hours ago, Liam danu said:

Monoblock is only necessary if you want to also cool your vrm and happens that there's company let's say ek make a monoblock for the specific model of motherboard you own,

Also don't quote me on this but, I don't think you need reservoir if you already have a distribution block...

Also i only know some distribution block for a some type of case mainly lian li dynamic pc-o11

Okay good to know 

22 hours ago, Ninabird said:

How often do you have to clean the loop

Ignore the mixed metal advice.  If you get a full copper/brass loop, a decent coolant and some low maintenance tube a good loop can be used almost indefinitely 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

On 4/28/2021 at 6:34 AM, jaslion said:

I actually disagree with this part, I find using the ditro plates easier to work with as opposed to snaking tubes from one component to  the next, running everything off a well designed block for your case makes it a breeze. As to the OP question, if you are doing hardline you need a finishing tool to clean the cuts, a tool to cut the tube and a heat gun