CPU Temps Overheating in BIOS, Idle Win10 (start 86C-end 105C+ and shutdown)

Shizzmoney
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

Your AIO pump is likely dead. 

Hey folks,

I just built my first PC in Nov 2020.  Brief specs: 2 1TB NvME drives, RTX 3070 for GPU, RYZEN 5 3600, TUF B550M-PLUS (no wifi) motherboard, and a EK-AIO D-RGB 240mm radiator for cooling, in a Cooler Master MB311L case with two fans in the front, and one 120mm fan in the back.

So, Armoury Crate after an update couldn't find my components (POS software), so I uninstalled/reinstalled all ASUS software... and after that, not only were the components not showing up in AC... the fans just started ramping up and CPU temps started going crazy and my CPU overheated and shutdown.   

Considering I don't have anything important on my main SDD, I just nuked the system and did a format of that drive, with a clean install of Win10.  I also updated the TUF B550M-PLUS BIOS version to the latest, 2006 (as well as with the update, all of the DOCP and overclocking via buildzoid.  The fans are running at turbo and full speed (2100RPM), and they are running in the correct configs.  AC now does see my components and I am able to control them again.

I've reapplied thermal paste (MX-4 from Artic).  I unplugged and replugged all the fan headers (they are in the proper spots).  Still overheating in idle in BIOS and while running Win10 at idle. 

I never had a cooling issues before yesterday, always ran at a b/t comfy 58-75C.  I did feel the end of the pumps that connect to the block, and one was significantly hotter than the other.  In the pic below, temps go from 58C to 84C in the span of 5 min!

I am stumped and need advice. 

BIOS.jpg

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

10 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

What are your overclock settings?

D.O.C.P. 3600/1800 and the below (not my MB but same values but everything is back at stock now since nuking and still getting overheating).

Untitled.png

1 minute ago, Shizzmoney said:

D.O.C.P. 3600/1800 and the below (not my MB but same values but everything is back at stock now since nuking and still getting overheating).

Untitled.png

Yep, @Skiiwee29 is right. Your AIO pump is most likely dead.

How old is it, and is it still under warranty?

elephants

13 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I might have to go to MC today and buy another to test; I also have the stock cooler still.

The block does get really, really hot to the touch.  Man, the thing is 6 mths old...is that common?  Have ppl had issues with these blocks?  I bought it off GN's recommendation (and the temps before yesterday were amazing).

Just now, Shizzmoney said:

I might have to go to MC today and buy another to test; I also have the stock cooler still.

The block does get really, really hot to the touch.  Man, the thing is 6 mths old...is that common?  Have ppl had issues with these blocks?  I bought it off GN's recommendation (and the temps before yesterday were amazing).

Its a newer unit so its hard to say, but I would wager its highly uncommon. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

32 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Two things: A) Got the AIO from Amazon, and this would be the 2nd part that failed from there after a short amount of usage (also had some Corsair RGB Vengeance 3600 RAM bought from there fail after a month lol)

B) the same stuff happening to me is happening in this video (granted, different setup, but still):

Just now, Shizzmoney said:

Two things: A) Got the AIO from Amazon, and this would be the 2nd part that failed from there after a short amount of usage (also had some Corsair RGB Vengeance 3600 RAM bought from there fail after a month lol)

B) the same stuff happening to me is happening in this video (granted, different setup, but still):

How do you have it oriented? Is the water block higher than the top of the AIO?

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Top config, water block is below radiator (excuse the cables, I've reorged them a bit better since then, but I should of gotten modular power supply):

download.jpg

Got a new AIO today (Lian Li Galahad 240mm), also did a test bench before with the stock cooler to confirm and yep.... temps were back to normal and where they should be. 

The problem was the AIO sharted itself.  

Thanks for all the help, LTT community!