How would you arrange this room?

Arika

I've recently done a huge clean up of my house by getting rid of a whole bunch of things that have followed my from multiple houses back when i was renting. This unfortunately meant i had random amalgamations of different furniture that was bought for a room/house that i no longer have and don't exactly match.

I'm wanting to make my house feel more like a home. Currently my front room doesn't really get used because of how i have it set up and the furniture i have, so i'm wanting to change it but have no idea how to set it up given the strange wall spaces. Below the dimensions of the room, I'm only worrying about the carpeted area. Windows are marked and the XX denotes a power outlet. dimensions are in cm

151283194_Frontroom.thumb.png.db880d86374fba9d473f5aa5c529efe2.png

To give you some idea, it is currently set up like this with the existing furniture. I'm more than happy to be rid of any or all of these so you don't need to constrain to these dimensions of furniture.

current.thumb.png.3da3d54a7aed886b5ca6b3b6a2e5df79.png

any help is appreciated.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

How is the house oriented, e.g. where is the north? I am asking because this affects the direction daylight is coming from during different times of the day.

2 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

How is the house oriented, e.g. where is the north? I am asking because this affects the direction daylight is coming from during different times of the day.

flip the entire thing 180 degrees. the front of the house (right side of the image) faces west, making north the bottom.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

From my experience, light distribution has a huge effect. If some parts of the room are not getting enough daylight, you can consider placing mirrors or furniture with glass doors. The second part of this involves artificial lighting. I for example found that indirect light can make a room feel more comfortable. Remote controlled switches can be useful if you want to comfortably control a larger number of light sources.

The space in the middle of that room looks a little bit empty, at least on that drawing. Depending on the size of your TV, the viewing distance could be a bit large (but that is very subjective of course). Did you try moving the couch off of the wall so that it effectively partitions the room, creating a sitting area? This works best if the couch is not too large.

I have changed things in my room many times during the last years, it is an ongoing iterative process that hopefully converges at some point.

22 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

The space in the middle of that room looks a little bit empty, at least on that drawing. Depending on the size of your TV, the viewing distance could be a bit large (but that is very subjective of course). Did you try moving the couch off of the wall so that it effectively partitions the room, creating a sitting area? This works best if the couch is not too large.

this is what I'm thinking, it's just the windows are in such annoying places, it really limits where you can put things since there is only really 1 "blank" wall

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

13 minutes ago, Arika S said:

this is what I'm thinking, it's just the windows are in such annoying places, it really limits where you can put things since there is only really 1 "blank" wall

I guess the question is what you want to use the room for and what types of furniture do you want to be there/what kind of stuff do you want to store there.

I have seen rooms where the windows and doors are annoyingly positioned, which reduces the room's potential. I would suggest trying to partition the room using low-height furniture that doesn't block too much light, e.g. couch or a sideboard maybe. Putting some smaller rugs on the floor can also partition the room.
If you prefer a more minimalist, clean-looking approach, then you could look into getting furniture with hidden storage space, which could help reducing the total amount of furniture needed.

As far as the TV is concerned, there is not much choice because of daylight reflection issues, so I guess you would have to leave it where it is unless you want to have to close curtains every time you want to watch TV. Maybe wall-mounting it could be an option to make the TV space look cleaner.

Swap the TV and storage unit. Move the couch in the middle of the room. Coffee table between TV and couch.

image.png.1237fa7baa7707326573142cecb16f04.png

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

flip the entire thing 180 degrees. the front of the house (right side of the image) faces west, making north the bottom.

Though if you're a people watcher type person or some sicko that leaves their blinds/curtains open at night so everyone can see inside you might not like having your couch face away from the street. 🤷‍♂️

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

26 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Though if you're a people watcher type person or some sicko that leaves their blinds/curtains open at night so everyone can see inside you might not like having your couch face away from the street.

i moved to a very rural area specifically because i don't like being around people XD

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒