Cpu to graphics??

Ok this is a really dumb idea but I'm just gonna say it anyway. so we all know that alot of cpus have integrated graphics like the ryzen 3200g with Vega 8 which is a pretty good example as (especially in these times) if you don't have any way of getting a gpu it servers as an ok alternate. so i was thinking, what if we somehow put a socket on a pcb and put it in a pci express lane and somehow focus on the integrated graphics part of the cpu. now i wanna say that i am an idiot who doesn't understand fully the processes of a gpu or cpu work and also know that what I'm saying could be interpreted as "pffft why cant we have chips that like do graphics and stuff lol". but I'm talking about literally taking a cpu and putting it in a socket that goes in a pci express lane. I've included some beautiful artist renditions of what I'm visualizing.

mazing.png

if you actually have braincells (unlike me) and know why this idea is dumb please reply I'd genuinely like to learn more about why this is dumb

It would be kind of dumb because it is cheaper to buy an outperforming GPU than to put a CPU with a good iGPU on a pcie card. 

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

1 minute ago, davemc said:

It would be kind of dumb because it is cheaper to buy an outperforming GPU than to put a CPU with a good iGPU on a pcie card. 

thats true but i was thinking like oh you just brought a new cpu and your old one has integrated graphics so you might use it? idk this is dumb but i kinda like it lol 

Google "Slot 1 to Socket 370 adapter".

Not quite the same, but similar. Doesn't go in PCIe since PCIe wasn't out then - we had AGP, PCI, and ISA.

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Not quite the same, but similar. Doesn't go in PCIe since PCIe wasn't out then - we had AGP, PCI, and ISA.

oh thats super cool thanks i wonder if someone could modernize it 

1 minute ago, Perms_ said:

oh thats super cool thanks i wonder if someone could modernize it 

I'd like to make one thing clear.
It's not a "GPU slot to CPU slot" adapter.

It's just a PCB that takes a card edge connector and turns it into a socket.

Slot 1 was a CPU socket. So was Socket 370.

elephants

6 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

That's just a CPU daughtercard. Not really relevant to what OP was asking.

9 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Those just convert one CPU slot to a different socket. Not relevant to what OP is talking about. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Hmm... I can see it being useful

But if you want integrated GPU, just buy a CPU with integrated GPU

AMD ryzen that doesn't have iGPU kinda sucks, just put one for basic display needs at least... Or else the ports on the boards are just for show

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I suspect the biggest issue would involve getting around the management engine to get the package to wake up. Surely the APU's would have to be built for this ability, as at least in AMD's design, the iGPU is connected to the CPU internally by a PCIe connection... that means the entire APU needs to be alive and functioning to enable this.

Intel's Clarkdale processors were an MCM that had the graphics separated from the x86 cores, I couldn't say how they work nowadays, though.

To do this with a current APU would involve a lot of support circutry on a daughter board. You'd essentially have a 2nd system made up on that board, with the exclusive purpose of pretending to be a graphics device, passing through to its APU's graphics... I suspect that would not end up well performance-wise.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

There's for sure a spot for this. The two issues I see with this are architecture and RAM. APUs use a different architecture for graphics, so you wouldn't be able to have CUDA cores, tesnor cores or any other GPU specific architecture without them being built into the CPU. At that point we get into overly large APUs that just turn back into GPUs.

APUs also share RAM with the CPU instead of dedicated VRAM like dGPUs do. You'd need DDR4 slots on the PCB as well to feed the APU with information.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be impossible?

The way I understand it, PCIe is set up as client/host, similar to USB. CPUs are the host for PCIe lanes, and GPUs/NVMe drives/other expansion cards are the clients. While the data goes both ways, I don't believe there's a way to have a PCIe backplane where the lanes come from the backplane and go to the CPU, GPU, etc. I know Intel has their Compute Module things that slot into a PCIe slot, but the backplane isn't the source of the PCIe lanes.

elephants