Can somebody "in the know" tell me, when this cryptocurrency crap will die a horrible, painfull death?

Ok this is a battlefield I want none of rn but it’s so fun to watch 2 sides make good arguments against each other

With the big crypto/GPU boom over the winter I figure come summer we’ll see the first impacts when, say, LA has their usual extreme heat and potential blackouts with everyone running air conditioners; how will crypto mining stress that further? How many people will stop mining during those times? Probably not everyone so there will be deaths by heat stroke that can and will be blamed on mining.

All it takes is “Granny wouldn’t be dead if her air conditioner didn’t lose power, those crypto miners need to be stopped!”

Crypto was cool in the beginning but something needs to change. Restarting or keeping coal plants open isn’t the right answer.

3 minutes ago, Vangeli said:

With the big crypto/GPU boom over the winter I figure come summer we’ll see the first impacts when, say, LA has their usual extreme heat and potential blackouts with everyone running air conditioners; how will crypto mining stress that further? How many people will stop mining during those times? Probably not everyone so there will be deaths by heat stroke that can and will be blamed on mining.

All it takes is “Granny wouldn’t be dead if her air conditioner wasn’t shut down, those crypto miners need to be stopped!”

Crypto was cool in the beginning but something needs to change. Restarting or keeping coal plants open isn’t the right answer.

LA will have brownouts and blackouts because of miners, that's a new level of stupid I've not seen before. More like same as last year where there are more people at home using their inefficient AC drawing more power but at the same time office building are using extremely less power for their AC and building because people aren't at work. Also CA has power issues that stem from the government being a bunch of nutjobs and over population while not expanding the power and water causing all kinds of issues. This has nothing to do with mining.

The original argument was made that miners are taking all the GPU's that are meant for gamers, NO! GPU's are made and sold for the sake of doing complex algorithms, this can be for games, video rendering, F@H, mining, or any one of hundreds of other uses. "GPU's are for gamers" entitled much? 

There is a supply and demand issue right now for anything that involves any kind of chips so this ends up creating scalpers just like any other time in history, remember beanie babies? Hell when the Wii came out my local store never was short on stock and always had plenty in stock while other places couldn't find any. Being the proud supporter of capitalism i am, i would buy up 5-10 every couple days and sell them at double the price on eBay. Its supply and demand yall need to get over yourselves and if you want something and don't wanna pay eBay prices for it then get out there and find one at MSRP. I randomly walked into my local Micro Center one day (2.5hr drive each way local) and bought a 5900x and a RX6800XT at the same time at MSRP. Stuff is out there but people are entitled and have become accustomed to there always being an abundance of stock of any and all products they can get delivered to their house in 2 days. Well things change and now you have to actively go out and look for things or just happen upon them like i did. I now follow a discord that tracks stock alerts and have bought 3x 3600's and 2x 6900xt's that i put on eBay for $500 over what i paid for them and people still buy them. So as long as people are willing to pay through the nose myself and other investors are going to keep selling, its basic economics, but they don't teach that is schools anymore apparently.

I'll just leave these here.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/apr/07/china-bitcoin-mining-climate-targets-nature-study

China’s electricity-hungry bitcoin mines that power nearly 80% of the global trade in cryptocurrencies risk undercutting the country’s climate goals, a study in the journal Nature has said...

...About 40% of China’s bitcoin mines are powered with coal, while the rest use renewables, the study said. However, the coal plants are so large they could end up undermining Beijing’s pledge to peak carbon emissions before 2030 and become carbon neutral by 2060, it warned.

https://fortune.com/2021/04/20/bitcoin-mining-coal-china-environment-pollution/

One of the great Bitcoin unknowns has long been the amounts being produced, or "mined," in what's believed to be the top locale for mining the signature cryptocurrency: China's remote Xinjiang region. We got the answer when an immense coal mine in Xinjiang flooded and shut down over the weekend of April 17–18.

The blackout halted no less than one-third of all of Bitcoin's global computing power. "We'd seen estimates that high, but this shutdown confirms them," says Alex de Vries, an economist who runs the website Digiconomist, which tracks Bitcoin's energy consumption. "We also learned that the area in Xinjiang where all that mining happens is much smaller than previously believed. It underscores China's dominance in Bitcoin mining, and that dominance raises big security concerns."

The Xinjiang accident highlights that Bitcoin is a creature of fossil fuels—principally coal, the dirtiest of them all. Its rise is even providing a lifeline for the fading natural-gas industry. In the U.S., miners from New York State to Kentucky are repurposing obsolete facilities to supply the cheap power they cherish. That Bitcoin spreads a carbon footprint bigger than Australia's, and that the run-up in its price could triple the carbon dioxide it spews, so far doesn't seem to bother the famous otherwise-green enthusiasts feeding the craze, from Elon Musk to Gwyneth Paltrow.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S