New cpu is compatible with motherboard but it won't boot, bios is up to date.

Schaeffer

So I recently bought an i9 9940x to go into my computer. I run an msi gtx 1080ti, 32 gb ram, and the motherboard is a tomahawk arctic x299. While I replaced the cpu I also installed a newer liquid cooler(360mm). I went to install the cpu and the computer wouldn't post. So I figured I didn't have a bios that was as up to date as was needed. I take out the new cpu and throw in the old one so that I can actually update the bios. I run into the same issue. The screen just stays black, the peripherals all light up but I don't get anything on my screens. So I didn't know what to do really so I plugged the new cpu back in and I could launch bios. Neat, so it's not the bios. At this point I had to go to work so I shut everything off and figured I'd tackle it after work. Maybe it was my hard drive? Idk. I get back from work and boot up the system and I get the same black screens. I then proceeded to double check all my cable connections. I reboot the system and it launches no farther than my bios screen again. While I'm mid bios the screen shuts off. I have no idea what to do from here, any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

The way I’m reading this is you did a bit of open heart surgery on your box but when you got it back together the patient didn’t wake up, and when you put it back the way it was the patient still didn’t wake up.  Perhaps it’s not as back together as you think.  Silly stuff happens.  Maybe reseat everything in case something got knocked about. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Try and do a bios reset ,take out the battery take out the power supply cord cable ,press the power button for 30 seconds then put the battery back in.

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The way I’m reading this is you did a bit of open heart surgery on your box but when you got it back together the patient didn’t wake up, and when you put it back the way it was the patient still didn’t wake up.  Perhaps it’s not as back together as you think.  Silly stuff happens.  Maybe reseat everything in case something got knocked about. 

Thats what I figured so I did that before I even submitted this post.

14 minutes ago, Schaeffer said:

Thats what I figured so I did that before I even submitted this post.

Fair enough

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Fair enough

I just unseated and reseated the gpu, ram, cpu, storage. Everything is doing the same thing. Last night I was able to get it to boot to bios but when I was in the bios menu my screen went black. Now when I boot anything I just get black.

1 hour ago, Schaeffer said:

I just unseated and reseated the gpu, ram, cpu, storage. Everything is doing the same thing. Last night I was able to get it to boot to bios but when I was in the bios menu my screen went black. Now when I boot anything I just get black.

If it’s not a connection and the hardware is known good all there is left is software. 

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

If it’s not a connection and the hardware is known good all there is left is software. 

Is it possible the motherboard shit the bed? And if it's not the motherboard and is in fact a software issue how do I fix that? Can you manually refresh the bios without having access to the computer itself? Is that what bios flashback is?

2 minutes ago, Schaeffer said:

Is it possible the motherboard shit the bed? And if it's not the motherboard and is in fact a software issue how do I fix that? Can you manually refresh the bios without having access to the computer itself? Is that what bios flashback is?

I thought the motherboard was proven known good with an earlier test. Lots of things are always possible. The motherboard has software in it though cmos and bios are software.