Blackout

TechMaster1234

Can a blackout damage computer's hardware, with a good PSU? (Corsair RM750)

CPU Ryzen 5 5600x GPU NVIDIA 3080 FE MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial 3600 MHz CL16 16 GB PSU Corsair RM750 COOLING Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

If it's literally just a case of the power turning off then it's unlikely to do any more damaging than forcing a shutdown by holding the power button (or indeed by pulling the plug out of the wall) would.  You will of course lose anything which wasn't saved though.

Surges and other irregularities in the power could do more damage, though.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

The main thing I'd be worried about is your data, from the perspective of your PC potentially turning off in the middle of a some data transfer.

I am not sure if other components are going to damage from it.

If you experience frequent blackouts, I'd highly suggest a UPS.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, keysbeast said:

yes as when a black oout happens a surage of power can happen the can damage parts this is why a good surge protector or UPS is needed

A blackout does not equal a surge. Blackouts often happen without surges, and surges often happen without blackouts.

A surge protector and UPS is a good idea though especially if you live in an area with frequent blackouts or surges, or just 'dirty' power in general (and if you have the money of course - but basic ones aren't even that expensive)

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

A blackout does not equal a surge. Blackouts often happen without surges, and surges often happen without blackouts.

A surge protector and UPS is a good idea though if you have the money (and basic ones aren't even that expensive)

if you read what i said when a black out happens a surge "can happen"

I am using my computer just for gaming, so I don't mind if i lose some data. I concern about not to damage my hardware. Do I really have to buy a UPS?

CPU Ryzen 5 5600x GPU NVIDIA 3080 FE MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial 3600 MHz CL16 16 GB PSU Corsair RM750 COOLING Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

1 minute ago, keysbeast said:

if you read what i said when a black out happens a surge "can happen"

yes, I was just clarifying (in case anyone read your post and thought that blackouts and surges always happened at the same time

pythonmegapixel

1 minute ago, TechMaster1234 said:

I am using my computer just for gaming, so I don't mind if i lose some data. I concern about not to damage my hardware. Do I really have to buy a UPS?

no you dont need an ups ups just have built in surge protection you just need a good power strip with surage protectior built into it they are around 10-20 bucks if your power strip says on/off/reset it has surge protection then 

Thank you for everything!

Well I lost an SSD by switching off my PC from the PSU while diagnosing something so... That's a thing

Apparently it's a thing when I googled it, SSD vs power outages

Though I imagine it's less common if you own a good SSD with sufficient capacitor and what not, from what I read

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I have a m.2 ssd that's not directly connected with psu ( SATA cable ), so I think I will be fine.

8 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

A power loss is exactly what it is: A power loss.

What value do you consider a "sufficient capacitor"? It won't protect you from a power loss, period.

I heard it gives the SSD enough time to power off without damaging the nand flash

If course it won't keep it on

Just now, SGT-AMD said:

Never heard of that.

With a load on the psu, the power in the psu will drop pretty quick.

I have tried a 4 farad stiffening cap on the amateur repeater that I have, but it went down quick because of the load on it.

oh, im speaking of capacitor in the SSD

quick googling: https://www.kingston.com/en/solutions/servers-data-centers/ssd-power-loss-protection