I want to stream and game, I am going to get a ryzen 5 5600x but is 6 cores enough.

Nerdmart54

Originally I was going to get the Ryzen 7 3700x but I have switched to the Ryzen 5 5600x is that still a good chip to game and stream. 

It should be completely enough to do both at comfortable framerates as long as you are gpu encoding

Just now, Hyrogenes said:

It should be completely enough to do both at comfortable framerates as long as you are gpu encoding

How do I set the gpu to do encoding?

1 minute ago, Nerdmart54 said:

Depends on what your gpu is and what service you are streaming on. Even with cpu encoding you should still be completely fine as 5600 destroys at multithreaded workloads

Just now, Nerdmart54 said:

You need to have an Nvidia GPU with NVENC. If you have an AMD graphics card, you'll have a harder time maintaining high framerates while encoding on the CPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, Hyrogenes said:

Depends on what your gpu is and what service you are streaming on. Even with cpu encoding you should still be completely fine as 5600 destroys at multithreaded workloads

Ok so the 5600x would be fine either way, and I am getting a 3060ti and streaming on twitch. 

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

You need to have an Nvidia GPU with NVENC. If you have an AMD graphics card, you'll have a harder time maintaining high framerates while encoding on the CPU.

I am getting the 3060ti 

Just now, Nerdmart54 said:

I am getting the 3060ti 

Perfect. That allows you to use Nvidia's NVENC encoding which is much better than radeon gpu's. I dont personally have a nvidia gpu so Im not entirely sure how to setup NVENC but youtube will be able to help and or other forums members can

OK and NVENC is the encoder, does encoding on the gpu shorten the lifespan of the gpu. 

If you're using OBS, set the stream encoder to NVENC ("NVidia ENCoder" I guess) in the Output settings. x264 is the more CPU intensive alternative.

For what it's worth, any time I've tried x264 with my Ryzen 5 5600X, it's been totally fine. I don't really expect you'd have any problems either way, but just know NVENC is there as an option.

1 minute ago, Nerdmart54 said:

OK and NVENC is the encoder, does encoding on the gpu shorten the lifespan of the gpu. 

Only in the sense that merely USING a video card shortens its lifespan. You're not doing anything it wasn't designed to do.

Edited by typographie

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv