Memory overclocking does not work and computer freezes after 15-20 minutes even just idle

Go to solution Solved by Entropy.,
2 hours ago, Gloremas34 said:

Hello, I have been struggling when trying to overclock my memory to the 3000mhz that my memory is rated for. I have tried all the way from 2666mhz to the 3000 that it says in the box. I tried the default XMP settings but after about 15-20 minutes of doing anything, whether it be just internet browsing or gaming the system freezes and I have to reboot. 
My specs are:

CPU: Core i9 9900k - stock settings

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z390-Pro Gaming

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16 3200mhz C16, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8 3000mhz C16 (yes they are in the right slots so they're with the ones they're supposed to be with) I tried both only the 32GB pack, and the 16GB pack by itself and both have the same problem when you overclock them at all.

Graphics Cards: RX 580 8GB, RX 580 4GB

Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, Western Digital 2tb 7200rpm HDD

taskmgr memory.PNG

LPX ram doesn't like overclocking. It's not going to make much of a difference for what you're doing, nothing you can really do about it. You could try to RMA the ram I guess stating that it didn't hit advertised speeds.

Hello, I have been struggling when trying to overclock my memory to the 3000mhz that my memory is rated for. I have tried all the way from 2666mhz to the 3000 that it says in the box. I tried the default XMP settings but after about 15-20 minutes of doing anything, whether it be just internet browsing or gaming the system freezes and I have to reboot. 
My specs are:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16 3200mhz C16, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8 3000mhz C16 (yes they are in the right slots so they're with the ones they're supposed to be with) I tried both only the 32GB pack, and the 16GB pack by itself and both have the same problem when you overclock them at all.

taskmgr memory.PNG

So leave it off and be happy. The difference in speeds are only a few (like 1-5) FPS in games, and not worth the hassle

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

XMP rarely works well. I've had exactly 0% success with it. Honestly unless you are doing hard video editing or like database operations, you aren't going to notice a significant difference. Casual gaming for me: no measurable difference between 2133 and 2666.

2 hours ago, Gloremas34 said:

My specs are:

taskmgr memory.PNG

LPX ram doesn't like overclocking. It's not going to make much of a difference for what you're doing, nothing you can really do about it. You could try to RMA the ram I guess stating that it didn't hit advertised speeds.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU