possible dual NVMe SSD limitations on a AsusPrime Z370-A Motherboard?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

You can use 2 nvme m.2 drives in that board.

You can't run a pcie/nvme drive at sata speeds, they can't use the sata interface

That is saying that it will turn of sata ports, but that won't matter as your aren't using all the sata ports.

I am currently running a Asus Prime Z370-A Motherboard (user manual; should be page X) with a 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe as boot drive and a SATA SSD and HDD. As I have reached the capacity of both my boot drive and other SSD and HDD, I am looking for a good upgrade and was thinking about getting another (and larger) NVMe SSD. I know that my motherboard has another M.2 slot and and as far as I understand both slots should in principle support NVMe, but there seem to be some caveats with using a slot and the SATA ports, but I don't quite understand what the consequences would be if I would plug in another NVMe in the second M.2 slot and keep on using the two other SATA connections. My understanding is, that in the worst case the (second?) NVMe would be limeted to slower (SATA?) speeds, but in this case I would rather not spent the extra money for an NVMe. I hope someone can help me with this and clarify the underlying consequences for me (and maybe help me with what would be the optimal solution). Thanks a lot in advance!

PRIME Z370-A specifications summary.png

You can't run a pcie/nvme drive at sata speeds, they can't use the sata interface

That is saying that it will turn of sata ports, but that won't matter as your aren't using all the sata ports.

11 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thank you very much for replying to my post!
Sounds like I'm good to go, have a nice day!