Can My Setup Run a 144hz External Display?

IamSuperB4
Go to solution Solved by IamSuperB4,

I figured it out! My second 60hz display was connected to the dock along with the 144hz. So I moved the 60hz display to my HDMI port on my laptop and it went to 144hz. I guess it was sending 60hz to the dock because it had to send the highest frame rate of the worst monitor.

I downloaded the software too, so it was good that I got that anyway. Thanks for your help guys!

I just got a new monitor that is supposed to be 144hz, but I can't get it above 60hz. I've tried the display settings built into the monitor, the advanced display settings in Windows 10, and the AMD Radeon Software my laptop came with, but they all don't give me anything above 60hz.

I have my laptop connected to a dock via USB C, and the dock is connected to a 144hz monitor via a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. I also have a second monitor connected to the dock if that means anything, it's only 60hz.

Here is my current setup:

As far as I can tell, none of these should be bottlenecked to 60hz. If anything, maybe the processor/laptop or dock? I've tried to do my research and came up short, so I thought I'd ask the experts! If someone could tell me if I can get this setup to work with 144hz or not, that would be great! And if so, how, and if not, what am I missing?

Thanks for the help!

9 minutes ago, IamSuperB4 said:

I just got a new monitor that is supposed to be 144hz, but I can't get it above 60hz. I've tried the display settings built into the monitor, the advanced display settings in Windows 10, and the AMD Radeon Software my laptop came with, but they all don't give me anything above 60hz.

I have my laptop connected to a dock via USB C, and the dock is connected to a 144hz monitor via a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. I also have a second monitor connected to the dock if that means anything, it's only 60hz.

Here is my current setup:

As far as I can tell, none of these should be bottlenecked to 60hz. If anything, maybe the processor/laptop or dock? I've tried to do my research and came up short, so I thought I'd ask the experts! If someone could tell me if I can get this setup to work with 144hz or not, that would be great! And if so, how, and if not, what am I missing?

Thanks for the help!

I'm not really an expert, but here is what I think:

Either your laptop can't really support an extra monitor via Display Port, or something else, I can't think of any other explanation.

Current Setup: PC

Try a USb c to dp adapter and cable that can support 144hz but you might not have the capabilities for anything higher than 60, maybe 120. 

1 hour ago, Heliian said:

Try a USb c to dp adapter and cable that can support 144hz but you might not have the capabilities for anything higher than 60, maybe 120. 

Could be! It does seem like the port should work

I figured it out! My second 60hz display was connected to the dock along with the 144hz. So I moved the 60hz display to my HDMI port on my laptop and it went to 144hz. I guess it was sending 60hz to the dock because it had to send the highest frame rate of the worst monitor.

I downloaded the software too, so it was good that I got that anyway. Thanks for your help guys!

Glad you were able to figure it out, 🙂 enjoy!